Vehicle Mode v0.6 [Update 5/16 screenshots]

Working on a new map? Have a new mod out for swbf2?! Post an announcement of the up-coming release here.

Moderator: Moderators

razac920
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Vehicle Mode v0.6 [Update 5/16 screenshots]

Post by razac920 »

As promised, this is the next mode I am working on.

Vehicle Team Deathmatch (other vehicle modes coming later)

Pretty much what the title says. Each player spawns into a vehicle. There are two modes, Team DM and Conquest. For some reason, the conquest reinforcement settings do not work, so they are set to 500 for each team. Right now each team has 10 vehicles, listed below, but I may want to cut/replace some of them. These vehicle modes are VERY memory intensive (I think), they pretty much always crash with more than 32 bots per team, so I've limited it to be 32 vs 32 max (16 vs 16 by default, but for this test map I strongly suggest you do 32 vs 32 since it is so big).

Republic:
1. rep_hover_barcspeeder (stock)
2. rep_hover_swampspeeder (Conversion pack sides)
3. rep_walk_oneman_atst (stock)
4. rep_hover_fightertank (stock)
5. rep_walk_atxt (Conversion pack sides)
6. rep_walk_atot (ForceMaster)
7. rep_walk_atap (FragMe!)
8. rep_hover_utat (PR-0927/Majin Revan)
9. rep_walk_atte (stock)
10. rep_fly_gunship (Conversion pack sides)

CIS:
1. cis_hover_stap (stock)
2. cis_hover_gat (Conversion pack sides)
3. cis_tread_hailfire (stock)
4. cis_hover_aat (stock)
5. cis_tread_snailtank (stock)
6. cis_hover_hag (Conversion pack sides)
7. cis_hover_mtt (Conversion pack sides)
8. cis_walk_tridroid (ForceMaster)
9. cis_walk_spider (stock)
10. cis_fly_geofighter (Conversion pack sides)

UPDATED screenshots:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Done:
Scripting
Basic map setup

Left to do:
Sounds
Localization
Balancing

Bugs:
Sometimes if you try to spawn you may randomly die at spawn. This is done if there are no free vehicles of that type to spawn into. You can try spawning again, or pick a different vehicle.
The HAG turret position viewpoint is messed up.

Download link: dropbox

So if it seems interesting, give it a play. I'm really hoping someone will be interested in working with me to make a GOOD map to play this on, as my real strength is scripting. Feedback on vehicle/sides is also much appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: Oh I forgot to mention that I tested it online (as host), and it seemed to work, but I really need someone to test it as a client to make sure.
Last edited by razac920 on Sat May 16, 2015 4:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith
Projects :: PS2+PSP Overhaul

Re: Vehicle Mode v0.5

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

I've always seen talk about vehicle modes but not alot of mods (am I looking in wrong places?)
I will test this soon and would love to help (all I can give is suggestions)

I do have one question so far:
It is possible to allow vehicles to capture command posts, will you add this at some point?
commanderawesome
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Skin Changer - Warfront - Other stuff
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF SWTOR KotOR EaW
xbox live or psn: AaTc_CmdrAwesome

Post by commanderawesome »

That looks AWESOME!
razac920
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by razac920 »

I think (but never personally tested) that it is as simple as adding CapturePosts = 1 in the vehicle's .odf, and if it does work, I would be happy to add in a vehicle conquest mode. But a lot of vehicles are very big objects, so I would need a very open map with CPs accessible to vehicles (no indoor CPs).

And I know there was a lot of talk about vehicle modes too, but I'm not sure what came of it.
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith
Projects :: PS2+PSP Overhaul

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

Yes that was the odf parameter I was going to mention if you didn't know about it, and it does work.
I've allowed many things to capture posts in the past; remote rockets, star fighters, tanks, and recon droids and of course characters...I think any controllable entity can capture bases.

And I have a few suggestions;
One, can you force people to spawn into a remote rocket? After all it is a flyer which counts as a vehicle.
Two, I would recommend mixing vehicles from opposite eras, so for example you can have the at-te vs the at-at. The mod is not about regular fighting so I don't see too much of a biggie over doing that.

I think with some proper odf work you could enable snow speeders to rope the at-te.
commanderawesome
Field Commander
Field Commander

Probably not without going over SWBF2's class limit.
razac920
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by razac920 »

It probably would be possible to force players into a (modified) remote rocket. It wouldn't be remote controlled then, and it might need takeoff and landing animations. I'm not sure why you would want to do that, though?

I thought about mixing vehicles from both eras. There's no reason I can't do it, just that I can have up to 10 classes per team, so at most 20 playable classes for a human. I could try to increase the amount of choices even further, by say having a class correspond to one vehicle at one command post, and a different vehicle at a different command post. But this would quickly get very very messy, and so I had only considered having one command post be for "land" vehicles and another command post in space be for all space vehicles.
Sandtrooper956
Corporal
Corporal
Projects :: Just some little things
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and EAW
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Sandtrooper956 »

Awesome, tons of fun! Maybe you could make it so you had to get points to unlock other units? And maybe even hero vehicles or something?
Iamstuoid
Recruit Womprat Killer
Projects :: Maps for Vehicle Assualt
Games I'm Playing :: All the SWBFs

Post by Iamstuoid »

I'm really hoping someone will be interested in working with me to make a GOOD map to play this on, as my real strength is scripting.
Good Job, this looks awesome, :thumbs: I could make a basic map layout of planets like: Coruscant, Geonosis, Tatioone, Nar Shaddaa (Flyers like bespin platforms), Naboo. I am willing to design the maps, I will finally use some of the Acclamators and CIS dropships with massive hangers!!! Depends what you think, P.S I has not posted maps on Gametoast, YET! Please consider. :thumbs: :bowdown:
Fives
Private
Projects :: Maps+Mods [BETA] Tester
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2+SWTOR and STO
xbox live or psn: not enabled

Post by Fives »

loke nice...great work
MrMuffins
Private Recruit
Projects :: FAS
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII Terraria BF3
xbox live or psn: None

Post by MrMuffins »

Awesome, always wanted some sort of vehicle battle for battlefront. Reminds me abit of star wars demolition.
Is the AI exiting damaged vehicles effect desired or not?
Generalfacu
Rebel Sergeant
Rebel Sergeant
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront II KOTOR

Post by Generalfacu »

I like this idea! Although I would add some buildings to make it more entertaining :thumbs:
Isaac1138
Corporal
Corporal
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: BF1+2 stronghold
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Isaac1138 »

Did u make all the vehicles yourself. If not where did you get the source file from?
commanderawesome
Field Commander
Field Commander

Read the first post, your answer is there.
Last edited by commanderawesome on Tue May 12, 2015 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
razac920
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by razac920 »

Sandtrooper956 wrote:Awesome, tons of fun! Maybe you could make it so you had to get points to unlock other units? And maybe even hero vehicles or something?
Sure, I had planned to require points to unlock the top units/vehicles. I just need advice about what vehicles to include, in what order, and how many points to unlock. And hero vehicle -- a vehicle only accessible as a hero -- that is perfectly doable, but what sort of vehicles did you have in mind? Darth Vader's TIE fighter? Nothing really comes to mind for me.
Iamstuoid wrote:
I'm really hoping someone will be interested in working with me to make a GOOD map to play this on, as my real strength is scripting.
Good Job, this looks awesome, :thumbs: I could make a basic map layout of planets like: Coruscant, Geonosis, Tatioone, Nar Shaddaa (Flyers like bespin platforms), Naboo. I am willing to design the maps, I will finally use some of the Acclamators and CIS dropships with massive hangers!!! Depends what you think, P.S I has not posted maps on Gametoast, YET! Please consider. :thumbs: :bowdown:
Sure, go for it! The map location doesn't particularly matter to me, just whatever you think is good. The only real necessities are that the map has a vehicle spawn point for each type of vehicle in the mode, that these vehicle spawn points are separate from the actual playing area (so that people can't just jump into a line of every type of vehicle), and that the vehicle spawn points are separated enough to allow each vehicle to spawn (I had previously packed them too close together and some vehicles weren't spawning as a result). Also, you want to make sure there are enough spawn points so that you don't have many players/vehicles spawning in the same area and getting stuck on top/inside each other.
Fives wrote:loke nice...great work
Thank you!
MrMuffins wrote:Awesome, always wanted some sort of vehicle battle for battlefront. Reminds me abit of star wars demolition.
Is the AI exiting damaged vehicles effect desired or not?
I hadn't decided on that. It would require a lot more scripting to check if the AI exit vehicles (since there is no direct counterpart to OnEnterVehicle), and I am concerned about online compatibility. It doesn't particularly bother me though. I personally exit to repair my vehicle, and maybe that's okay. Depends on what people want.
Generalfacu wrote:I like this idea! Although I would add some buildings to make it more entertaining :thumbs:
Sure, this is just a "proof of concept" basically. I definitely would want to see it on a cool map or two.
Isaac1138 wrote:Did u make all the vehicles yourself. If not where did you get the source file from?
I didn't make ANY of the vehicles myself, as stated in the first post.
Iamstuoid
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by Iamstuoid »

Sure, go for it! The map location doesn't particularly matter to me, just whatever you think is good. The only real necessities are that the map has a vehicle spawn point for each type of vehicle in the mode, that these vehicle spawn points are separate from the actual playing area (so that people can't just jump into a line of every type of vehicle), and that the vehicle spawn points are separated enough to allow each vehicle to spawn (I had previously packed them too close together and some vehicles weren't spawning as a result). Also, you want to make sure there are enough spawn points so that you don't have many players/vehicles spawning in the same area and getting stuck on top/inside each other.
I will remember to make sure of this, by measuring the distance between the spawners with AT-TEs :thumbs: I will post up the Map+Source so you can add the gamemode yourself, or if you want move some stuff like cps! :D

EDIT
I have finished the map, Geonosis.
I hope you like! There's a couple bugs though.

BUGS:
  • CIS Vehicles and LAATs don't spawn.
    Sky doesn't show.
    Cannot spawn.
The problem is I think my visual munge doesn't work as it should as I just moved the default 4 cps, they show up on map but you just can't spawn! Anyway this is a great map (I think, tell me what you think.)
If you want to move some cps or add some, there are 2 sets of hangers (Geonosian and Acclamator) that could use some! You'll need to add the mod Vehicles though along with the gamemode as default is Conquest.

DOWNLOAD THE SOURCE: https://www.mediafire.com/?abvmf1bo3b97lsb

:thumbs: ?
razac920
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by razac920 »

Hey, thanks! This is a great start! Those bugs should be very easy to fix, no worries. I will fix up the vehicle spawn points and regular spawn points, and I should have a new version out by the end of the weak. I will also maybe have both Team DM and Conquest modes (all with pure vehicles, of course).

Just a heads up, you really don't need to upload your entire data_XXX folder. Just the "World" folder is enough.
Iamstuoid
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by Iamstuoid »

Hey, thanks! This is a great start! Those bugs should be very easy to fix, no worries. I will fix up the vehicle spawn points and regular spawn points, and I should have a new version out by the end of the weak. I will also maybe have both Team DM and Conquest modes (all with pure vehicles, of course).
I checked my munger and the error logs, my munge can't do cp spawns and ship spawns. Please add more cps to my map. I look forward to the edited version. I forgot to mention there's a correlian speeder in the source I thought you might wanna use it at some piont. (Credits to Mjun Revan for it.)

Glad you like it! :D
Just a heads up, you really don't need to upload your entire data_XXX folder. Just the "World" folder is enough.
I'll keep it in mind.
razac920
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Vehicle Mode v0.6 [Update 5/16/15]

Post by razac920 »

Just uploaded a big update, but there are some pretty major issues with it.

First, the positives:
1. Thanks to Iamstuoid, this mode now takes place on a nice Geonosis map.
2. I replaced the buggy SPHAT for LAAT, and replaced Cydon's vehicle with a geonosian fighter
3. I added/fixed some localizations
4. I added point requirements for the "best" vehicles
5. And the biggest, I added a functional vehicle conquest mode

Now, the issues:
1. For some bizarre unknown reason, the conquest reinforcement settings do not influence the reinforcement counts at the start of the game, so I have manually set each team to have 500 reinforcements.
2. I was also working on a vehicle CTF mode (not included), because I am having trouble getting the vehicles to have flag collision geometry
3. Occasionally you might spawn "under" the terrain, resulting in a brief fall and death
4. And most frustratingly, the game sporadically has CTDs in either mode when playing with 32 bots. I have not observed this when playing without bots, and I suspect it is memory, not scripting, related, but I have not been able to figure this out. Bizarrely, I don't see these CTDs when playing with 32 bots on the debug exe, so I don't have any error log messages to share.

Does anyone have any ideas how to debug this? Some way to display memory usage using the main exe?

EDIT: I also observe these CTDs with just 16 bots, I'll try to find out what number doesn't cause a crash.
Locutus
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: Stargate Battlefront Pegasus

Re: Vehicle Mode v0.6 [Update 5/16/15]

Post by Locutus »

Mhh, the map crashes for me right after the loading bar is full:/ (both modes)