Coruscant: Modern Warfare (Released)

Working on a new map? Have a new mod out for swbf2?! Post an announcement of the up-coming release here.

Moderator: Moderators

thelegend
Sith
Sith
Projects :: Star Wars - Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf GTA CoD LoL KH
xbox live or psn: El_Fabricio#

Coruscant: Modern Warfare (Released)

Post by thelegend »

Coruscant: Modern Warfare

Hey All,
this is going to be my last mod/map project in this year: Coruscant: Modern Warfare.
I have been working for months on this and also posted some images of this map. Now I finally arrived at a time for an offical announcement. The map is as the title says set on Coruscant. This map is huge, but the battlefield itself is only set on 25% of the main circle. There are many buildings, some with interoir, many bridges and streets and a lot of props. The most objects can be destroyed. For example the lamps, explosive barrels and much more.

Map Layout: As said before the map takes place on 25% of the main circle. There are many buildings and "islands". You better don't fall down from the bridges :wink:
In the middle of the main circle (Southest part of the battlefield) there is the Republic Executive Building. It can be entered and there is also the Chancellor's Office. A long bridge connects the Executive Building with the Senate Building and the Senate Building can also be entered. But the most interoir is just made for the player. I wanted to keep something like "a magical moment" :)
On Coruscant's West Side there are some houses and a bar.
On the East Side there is a big military base. Yes your are right. It has also corridors and rooms :P On the right wall side there is a hangar platform.
The whole battlefield is surrounded by tall skyscapers. Padme's Appartment Building has been added too and can be entered easly.

Features: There are many new things you can do there. For example the most skyscapers can be destroyed with a bomber. Also other props such as street lamps and barrels can be destroyed as mentioned before.
The CIS remote control ship can be bombed only if you bomb the main generator inside the ship. It's almost exactly like in Star Wars Episode I.
All spaceships have remoteable predator rockets. Based on Call of Duty. You'll need to enter a turret chair and then need to aim to the fire location. After you pressed fire you must control the remoteable rocket to the ground. There will also be auto turrets on the Ground which must be defeated by the CIS or Alliance. But the turret generator has shields activated and the shield generator is hidden somewhere in the military base. Almost all features can be seen in the trailer below.

Sides: There will be three eras. But I only finished the CW and the GCW era. There are a lot of new units, skins, vehicles and weapons. The most were based on real existing guns such as the MG heavy rifle, or a gun that shoots three bullets at once.
Some weapons like pistols have been improved and remodeled (Note: A GCW update will probably released in a couple of days or just tomorrow).
In all eras there will be local units. So the battle won't become boring and will always be continued.

Sounds: There are many new weapon and turret sounds. My personal favourite is the music in the bar. Can you guess which sound stream will be played there?

Things left to do:

Code: Select all

-Add some missing GCW sounds
-Fix some map and side bugs
-Still need to localize the units, weapons etc.
-Custom Music Tracks
-Loadscreen
-The whole third era
-some scripting stuff
-other little things
>Here is the link for the Teaser Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DhSuvOLMtg
>And here is the link for the first, official trailer (CW only): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-rKtE56Bb8

And before I forget here's a bunch of images that show the map and below you can see nearly all units from the Clone Wars era:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:

I really hope you like this map so far. If you still have any questions, suggestions or anything else then please let me know that. You can also just PM me.
Last edited by thelegend on Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:01 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Re: Coruscant: Modern Warfare

Post by Marth8880 »

Overall it looks like a decently solid layout! :thumbs:

I have some gripes with the art, though. The walls, for example, blend in way too well with the entire rest of the environment, they should have a different style than the floors and ceilings.

Additionally, in the last image of the first set of images, in the senate chamber, the central platform could certainly use more sides so it's not just an 8-sided cylinder. Also in that room, *all* of the platforms could use specular maps so they're shiny like this:
Hidden/Spoiler:
In addition to giving the platforms specular maps, I'd recommend that you import that image into GIMP or Photoshop, use the Eyedropper to grab the exact RGB color values of the specular shine, and in the platforms' material XSI, set the specular color to the specular shine RGB values. Oh, and the white parts on the platforms should be glowing. ;)
SmokyCashew01
Recruit Womprat Killer
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront 2
xbox live or psn: WildingSpark3

Post by SmokyCashew01 »

very nice. i really like the concept. the only thing i have to say about it is that it is too grey and dull. I know that's how coruscant looks like but only for the most part. it does have some colour here and there which would greatly add to the atmosphere and make it more appealing or else it just looks like an interior of a star destroyer. Then again this is only my personal opinion
Generalfacu
Rebel Sergeant
Rebel Sergeant
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront II KOTOR

Post by Generalfacu »

It looks great! Although it is Coruscant, I would add more useless buildings
JazzMaster
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Projects :: Cato Neimoidia- Invasion
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront 2
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by JazzMaster »

This looks so fun. Great Modeling and layout! But I have to agree with Marth, there could be a lot more variance in textures for the buildings. Specular would look really good on a lot of the skyscrapers and exterior of buildings like the senate chamber. Adding Glow or emissive for windows and lights and such would be really cool as well.

I hope there will be lot's of fighters in the air with good use of flyer splines! That's the only thing I feel lacks in the space/sky to ground maps and a lot of other maps with flyers. In those maps the flying can get pretty boring because it's easy to avoid getting shot down and really easy to take out what little fighters the enemy team has, but they have the potential to be so much more. I hope you consider it this time. Great work so far!
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

I saw your earlier video, and (at risk of echoing some of what's already been said) there are two noticeable issues I see with an otherwise pretty cool map.

1) You're doing the illusion a disservice by letting yourself fly as highly and as freely as you do. I think the map instantly jumps in "woah" factor if you set a hard ceiling for flyers, tighten your boundary, and make your transport flyers fly slower. I know you like mashing together spaceflight and ground combat, but in every map you've done, you've done it in a way that is detrimental to one or the other. I think you've done a great job here adding in scenic airspeeders, and I think if you hew closely to how Rends did Coruscant City, you're gonna have a much better experience - at least give it a try.

2) Color, man, color! It doesn't have to be vibrant, but for all the texture variation you've got on the buildings, you may as well not have textured them. At least do more shades of grey, but at least consider some color details.
Isaac1138
Corporal
Corporal
Games I'm Playing :: BF1+2 stronghold

Post by Isaac1138 »

Finally, A map thats close to the movies, well possibly
Generalfacu
Rebel Sergeant
Rebel Sergeant

Post by Generalfacu »

Seen the video and, whoa. I love how you can see how freely you can fly in the Senate District.
I believe we are on the Custom Cockpits era :P with all these mods and maps with new cockpits
Isaac1138
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Isaac1138 »

Can u populate the streets as well, with a lot of different species. Also u should add a traffic of vehicles like in the moveis. If u want u could make the streets go deeper and darker to make it realistic. Over all this looks like a GREAT map.
hunpeter12
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: Underground City The Complex [WIP]
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Post by hunpeter12 »

Sadly there are a lot of game engine limits. He might be able to do some of these thing to an extent though.
BF2-Master
Captain
Captain

Post by BF2-Master »

I hope this is going to have Uber and/or XL because that looks way too huge for standard size game modes. Definitely lots of promise though.
Isaac1138
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Isaac1138 »

Why is this called modern warfare?
thelegend
Sith
Sith

Post by thelegend »

Hey all,
first I want to apologize that it took a short while. I had massive problems with the internet and also had trouble while uploading the video.
Anyway thanks for all the positive comments and replies.
Isaac1138 wrote:Why is this called modern warfare?
Because there will be modern warfare :)
(And because of the thing based on Call of Duty there. I actually wanted to give it a different name but this one fits better in my opinion).
Isaac1138 wrote:Can u populate the streets as well, with a lot of different species. Also u should add a traffic of vehicles like in the moveis. If u want u could make the streets go deeper and darker to make it realistic. Over all this looks like a GREAT map.
Thanks. Unfortunately I often reached at the game limit. I can not add a flying traffic like in the movies. And I think it would not make sense if there is still traffic, or citizens walking through the streets because there is a gigantic war. Why should the people still fly to work during the whole city is a battlefield? That's the reason why I took out this.
Maveritchell wrote:I saw your earlier video, and (at risk of echoing some of what's already been said) there are two noticeable issues I see with an otherwise pretty cool map.

1) You're doing the illusion a disservice by letting yourself fly as highly and as freely as you do. I think the map instantly jumps in "woah" factor if you set a hard ceiling for flyers, tighten your boundary, and make your transport flyers fly slower. I know you like mashing together spaceflight and ground combat, but in every map you've done, you've done it in a way that is detrimental to one or the other. I think you've done a great job here adding in scenic airspeeders, and I think if you hew closely to how Rends did Coruscant City, you're gonna have a much better experience - at least give it a try.

2) Color, man, color! It doesn't have to be vibrant, but for all the texture variation you've got on the buildings, you may as well not have textured them. At least do more shades of grey, but at least consider some color details.
1. Do you mean they shouldn't be able to fly higher than the top of the buildings?
2. I think I can add some more colorful adverts to some walls. But the interoirs are more colorful than the streets outside the buildings.
Generalfacu wrote:It looks great! Although it is Coruscant, I would add more useless buildings
Thanks. Maybe I can push out more from the game. I have had more buildings but then the loadscreen kept frozen.
But I can try to add more, low-polyer buildings on the empty areas.
Marth8880 wrote:Overall it looks like a decently solid layout! :thumbs:

I have some gripes with the art, though. The walls, for example, blend in way too well with the entire rest of the environment, they should have a different style than the floors and ceilings.

Additionally, in the last image of the first set of images, in the senate chamber, the central platform could certainly use more sides so it's not just an 8-sided cylinder. Also in that room, *all* of the platforms could use specular maps so they're shiny like this:
Hidden/Spoiler:
In addition to giving the platforms specular maps, I'd recommend that you import that image into GIMP or Photoshop, use the Eyedropper to grab the exact RGB color values of the specular shine, and in the platforms' material XSI, set the specular color to the specular shine RGB values. Oh, and the white parts on the platforms should be glowing. ;)
Thank you for the tips :D

I got normal and bumb mapping working and some parts of the map look better than before. I also added some specular to the rounded buildings. In one of the following screenshots you can see how it looks. But is it possible to add specular to lowrez buildings? Because you have to fly nearer to the buildings to the bright reflection?

-GCW Update-

As promised here is the GCW update. There are some new units and some are from non-used game assets such as the At-St driver, the imperial officer with his grey uniform and I took the texture from the Battlefront 1 pilot for the rebel pilot.
Based on what we have all seen in the latest Battlefront Trailer I remade the rebel jettrooper and gave him a weapon that is able to destroy a whole At-St only with two shoots. I improved the Emperor texture and made him look more like in the movies. I also added Han Solo's personal vehicle :D
(But it's hidden :P )

Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
I had problems while uploading this video since Friday. But I finally got it uploaded.
Official Trailer 1 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-rKtE56Bb8

I still need to add some more custom sounds and music tracks, improve the map a bit and then I can start with the third and last era.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

thelegend wrote:1. Do you mean they shouldn't be able to fly higher than the top of the buildings?
2. I think I can add some more colorful adverts to some walls. But the interoirs are more colorful than the streets outside the buildings.
What I mean is that, if I were doing it, I'd scrap having the capital ships flying above (which, gameplay aside, would never be that low anyway given Coruscant's air traffic). You can create a more effective illusion of a busy, filled world if you don't let your airspeeders fly as high (i.e. the part in your earlier video where you had the speeder flying down between buildings - that looked fun and interesting, much more so than flying above everything where the illusion breaks). Maybe that means capping the flight altitude at the top of the buildings, maybe not - that's something you experiment with. My urging is more for you to focus on enriching one specific experience (low-level, low-speed airspeeders, which will interact a lot better with your ground game) instead of trying to be all things to all people (a ground game and a space game). I know you've got the setup for something that looks really fun if you stay low-altitude, so focus on that.

And advertisements will help your buildings not to look so bland, but you really need to change the base colors. Look at your pictures:
Hidden/Spoiler:
And compare them to other similar maps (sorry, I couldn't get regular images and had to yank these from Google image search):
Hidden/Spoiler:
Your models are far and away better, but because they're all the same hue, nothing stands out against itself. Everything looks like an indistinct mass against that one grey space map texture. It works okay for your background buildings because you're drawing shapes more than you're drawing detail with those (and even the same, you do a better job of color blocking with the background), but for your close-up stuff you need more variation.
Generalfacu
Rebel Sergeant
Rebel Sergeant

Re: Coruscant: Modern Warfare (Trailer + GCW Update 5/25/201

Post by Generalfacu »

Units look really cool. I can also see you have quite a lot of freedom when flying, which is really nice. And the destroyable buildings would look much more cooler if they had an effect like the asteroids in space :thumbs:
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

Just watched the trailer and I've gotta say, this is definitely one of your best works yet! Mav basically nailed most of what I wanted to say, but I have a couple things to add.

That building destruction, is there any sort of objective(s) associated with it? I think it's really cool and I think you should do more with it! Like, for example, create a scripted event that maybe slightly increases the bleed rate of one of the teams each time a building is destroyed.

Are the ground units protected in any way against the bombers? This is always a gameplay killer when the two meet.
thelegend
Sith
Sith

Post by thelegend »

Marth8880 wrote:Just watched the trailer and I've gotta say, this is definitely one of your best works yet! Mav basically nailed most of what I wanted to say, but I have a couple things to add.

That building destruction, is there any sort of objective(s) associated with it? I think it's really cool and I think you should do more with it! Like, for example, create a scripted event that maybe slightly increases the bleed rate of one of the teams each time a building is destroyed.

Are the ground units protected in any way against the bombers? This is always a gameplay killer when the two meet.
Thank you very much :D
There's no need to destroy the buildings and skyscrapers. It's a free-for-the-player-decision.
Unfortunately there's no real protection from bombers and rockets. There are many interoirs and other secret places to hide. Maybe I can add something like in the Battlefront 2015 Trailer where one of the rebel soldiers threw something on the ground and then a shield dome appeared.

@Maveritchell: Thank you. I have just created some more buildings. This time with colors. I am going to update this map with some more images of better textured parts (With Normal and bump mapping) and with more colors.
MikeTheBeast55
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: N.A.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF1 SWBF2 LOTR
xbox live or psn: MikeTheeBeast55

Post by MikeTheBeast55 »

I have viewed your trailer and took a lot of time to look at these pictures and I do like the majority of the work you have done so far but a recurring theme I see from these photos is the color of grey everywhere so maybe you could add more color to the map to make it more attractive and appealing. Do not get me wrong, I like what you have done so far and you have put tremendous effort into this so far and as a sucker for custom sides they all look great too! Too bad you reached the maximum limit for the game so you are unable to put locals on the map, I would have really enjoyed that but if you could, just be sure to make them unable to take damage like the civilians on your Grand Theft Auto mod. I am quite disappointed that this is your last mod of the year but I see you are trying to end the year with a bang which is a good way to go out! The only question I have is will you be releasing the mod without beta testing it first or will you be releasing a beta to see if people experience bugs/glitches? Also, is their a lot of ground vehicles or are there none at all, I probably missed a few pictures but I am curious if you put them in the map or not. Until then, I can not wait to see your new masterpiece and I will wait patiently over the next few weeks/months!
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Engineering Degree

Post by jedimoose32 »

Looks good, legend. Follow what Mav and Marth are saying and you should have a really attractive looking map in no time. Take a look at some of the extreme wide shots from the prequel movies (or even the brief shot from the end of the Episode 6 "Special Edition") for inspiration regarding the colour scheme. Note that the buildings are definitely "greyish" but still have some colour to them. Blue, purple, green... subtle and desaturated but definitely still there. I'm excited to see where this heads. :thumbs:
DarthHideous
Recruit Womprat Killer
Games I'm Playing :: StarWarsBattlefront2
xbox live or psn: Its Mythology

Post by DarthHideous »

The concept and design of this map is great. In regard to the skyscraper destruction, it would be pretty cool to see pieces of its debris after it's bombed. Would it also be possible for a skyscraper to blow up if you flew a ship into it? :P