Yavin: Valley of Ruins (Update 1/4/17)

Working on a new map? Have a new mod out for swbf2?! Post an announcement of the up-coming release here.

Moderator: Moderators

SkinnyODST
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Yavin: Valley of Ruins (Update 1/4/17)

Post by SkinnyODST »

Just go here, I`m not gonna post the same stuff twice - http://www.moddb.com/mods/yavin-valley-of-ruins

This is my main mod project for BF2 and what all my constant, annoying questions on here are for :funny2:

Your probably thinking: "Oh OF COURSE it`s a Yavin map". And yes, I get that, but with that in mind i`ve tried and am tryING to make it a more unique Yavin map, and not like most other people`s first maps. (Usually all flat, not very well done, floating objects, etc). I`ve put a fair amount of thought and effort into this in an attempt to show everyone that I`m not just some guy that asks too many questions on GT and never really impresses people with anything. I plan on doing a HEAP more with modding this game and this is....just the beginning.

It has custom sides for both the Republic and CIS, CIS is fairly simple as the idea is that you play as the Republic. The Republic are my custom legion: The 62nd Legion. On release it`ll have some cool little secrets/easter eggs here and there as well. All republic skinning has been done by me
The only mode for it is Conquest, I would add more but some of my questions here on GT will answer why I haven`t done that. However, seeing as normal Conquest is kinda bland, I`ve spiced things up a little by adding some text that acts like a briefing (for a little fun), animated HEAPS of props to make the battlefield feel more alive and added some AI ambush moments to again, spice things up a little. It also has 3 era`s (including standard CW) to make it more interesting and to make up for the lack of modes.

NOTE: It does have shadows, my computer is just bad so I play with low settings

As for the release date? No idea. I`m not going to just stop working on it though that`s for sure

For more information and more screenies you can skoot on over to it`s ModDB page:
===================================
// http://www.moddb.com/mods/yavin-valley-of-ruins \\
===================================

NOW FOR SOME SCREENIES

Commander Needo, leader of the 62nd (edited):
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hey look at that, some of the animated props...
Hidden/Spoiler:
BATTLE
Hidden/Spoiler:
Captain Moss (another fictional character I made up, read more on the ModDB page)
Hidden/Spoiler:
62nd going for a stroll
Hidden/Spoiler:
This is part of an easter egg/secret in the map, this is my skinning work btw. Model by Qdin
Hidden/Spoiler:
An edited picture of which I`m hopping will be the loadscreen, if I can get it working
Hidden/Spoiler:
A crashed ARC Wing I made into a prop and reskinned. There are a lot of crashed/destroyed vehicles scattered around the map as well as dead clones to go with them
Hidden/Spoiler:
Captain Moss and the 62nd Yavin Scout Regiment`s base (ModDB page for more info)
Hidden/Spoiler:
The 62nd Legion`s emblem
Hidden/Spoiler:
Commander Needo again. With 62nd LAAT gunships flying past him.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Last edited by SkinnyODST on Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:55 am, edited 6 times in total.
Delta327
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Projects :: Shattered Galaxy
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf2
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Yavin: Valley of Ruins

Post by Delta327 »

That looks really good the terrain looks like it need a bit more detail. It still looks good. Keep up the good work
SkinnyODST
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by SkinnyODST »

Delta327 wrote:That looks really good the terrain looks like it need a bit more detail. It still looks good. Keep up the good work
Thanks! And what do you mean by more detail? More grass? I understand some area's look a little flat in these pics and that's becuase that's the path that the vehicles go on
Delta327
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Projects :: Shattered Galaxy
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf2
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Delta327 »

Well i ment detailed texture and more grass. But it still looks cool.
SkinnyODST
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by SkinnyODST »

Ah. Well the ground texture looks bland because my I have the settings on low. My pc's not very good.
thelegend
Sith
Sith
Projects :: Star Wars - Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf GTA CoD LoL KH
xbox live or psn: El_Fabricio#

Post by thelegend »

I think you should add some foliage on the ground using the Foliage Tab in Zero Editor. They very easy to add. You can use the stock Yavin foliage or add your own. I found some examples here: http://www.textures.com/browse/plants/107885
MikeTheBeast55
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: N.A.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF1 SWBF2 LOTR
xbox live or psn: MikeTheeBeast55

Post by MikeTheBeast55 »

As you said in the post people would not be thrilled the map is Yavin, well you were right for me but their are exceptions for this. This map seems set up like a Kashyyyk map I had seen a year or two earlier and as you know from the videos I made, I am a pro-create side type person which you have done so hats off to you sir! What else needs to be done besides the foliage TheLegend has suggested you do?
SkinnyODST
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by SkinnyODST »

Yeah I actually had YOU in mind when I was adding in the sides. I`m the same, to me if it doesn`t have custom sides, it shows the modder hasn`t put as much effort in as they could have.
What else needs to be done besides the foliage TheLegend has suggested you do?

Well I still have to finish off some of the secret areas. Apart from that theres some little areas here and there that could do with some upgrades/changes.

EDIT
thelegend wrote:I think you should add some foliage on the ground using the Foliage Tab in Zero Editor. They very easy to add. You can use the stock Yavin foliage or add your own. I found some examples here: http://www.textures.com/browse/plants/107885
I have no idea how to use foilage. I searched it up but nothing really tells me what it is and how to properly use it.
CT108
Rebel Sergeant
Rebel Sergeant
Projects :: None
Games I'm Playing :: CS2
xbox live or psn: Captain CT108

Post by CT108 »

SkinnyODST wrote: I have no idea how to use foilage. I searched it up but nothing really tells me what it is and how to properly use it.
Do you still need to use foliage ? I can help you with that I did it for a map :wink:
SkinnyODST
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by SkinnyODST »

CT108 wrote:
SkinnyODST wrote: I have no idea how to use foilage. I searched it up but nothing really tells me what it is and how to properly use it.
Do you still need to use foliage ? I can help you with that I did it for a map :wink:
I don`t really NEED to use it, but I think it`d be really useful to improve the map. I`ve had to manually place all the bushes in YVR and it took a while
MikeTheBeast55
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: Yavin: Valley of Ruins (Update 1/4/17)

Post by MikeTheBeast55 »

I bet you made many more updates over the months but I do have one serious question about this mod. Will this be released as a final version on first release or will you start off in an ALPHA/BETA stage and THEN a full version?
CT108
Rebel Sergeant
Rebel Sergeant

Post by CT108 »

MikeTheBeast55 wrote:I bet you made many more updates over the months but I do have one serious question about this mod. Will this be released as a final version on first release or will you start off in an ALPHA/BETA stage and THEN a full version?
I tried the private alpha of his mod, so why not a beta ? :D
But please not an alpha with codes that are randomly sent to players, just something public, I had no luck with the Battlefront 2 private alpha :(
SkinnyODST
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by SkinnyODST »

MikeTheBeast55 wrote:I bet you made many more updates over the months but I do have one serious question about this mod. Will this be released as a final version on first release or will you start off in an ALPHA/BETA stage and THEN a full version?
It may end up being a v1.0 and if I figure out how to fix/improve certain things in the map that I don`t know how to do right now (like the ATTE not having sound) then I`ll release a 2.0, but only if there`s been a significant amount of updates. (which may not happen as I have many other mod ideas that I want to start on after YVR goes public) I`ve been working quite a lot on it and lots of things have been changed/updated for the better. I`m hoping that the modding community will find it quite polished at first release because I`ve been trying to make it as polished as I can while staying somewhat in my limits of modding knowledge. In fact, as of writing this, I`ve just completed a small update to one of the areas of the map (The 62nd Yavin Scout`s base to be exact). I`m also in the middle of adding more trees and bushes and it`s definitely seeming to be worth it so far.

But it will certainly not be released as an ALPHA or BETA version. I don`t want to release heaps of different versions of it because many people may not bother to get the updated version (it`s got quite a big file size of 884MB right now) or even notice there is one.
CT108 wrote:
I tried the private alpha of his mod, so why not a beta ? :D
But please not an alpha with codes that are randomly sent to players, just something public, I had no luck with the Battlefront 2 private alpha :(
Actually what you played was a private BETA, and it`s changed HEAPS from it :D
MikeTheBeast55
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by MikeTheBeast55 »

SkinnyODST wrote:(it`s got quite a big file size of 884MB right now)
Hmm, perhaps you can start deleting certain useless files to bring down the file size, that will help and bring a little more attention to the mod. In my opinion I feel big file sizes turn off a lot of people from downloading mods/maps. I would much rather play a great map that has a 250 MB size then a great map that is close to 1 GB (unless it is a map pack or many new features/sides are added in).
CT108
Rebel Sergeant
Rebel Sergeant

Post by CT108 »

MikeTheBeast55 wrote:
Hmm, perhaps you can start deleting certain useless files to bring down the file size, that will help and bring a little more attention to the mod. In my opinion I feel big file sizes turn off a lot of people from downloading mods/maps. I would much rather play a great map that has a 250 MB size then a great map that is close to 1 GB (unless it is a map pack or many new features/sides are added in).
Or just put your mod in a .rar file :funny2:
SkinnyODST
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by SkinnyODST »

MikeTheBeast55 wrote:
Yeah I haven`t gotten around to doing that yet
Or just put your mod in a .rar file :funny2:
I don`t know how to do that, does it reduce file size?
CT108
Rebel Sergeant
Rebel Sergeant

Post by CT108 »

SkinnyODST wrote:
Yep it reduces the file size a lot ! Just download WinZip and then convert your mod.zip folder to mod.rar ;)

(My mod takes 3 seconds to DL with WinZip)
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

I highly recommend 7-Zip or WinRAR over WinZIP.
SkinnyODST
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by SkinnyODST »

CT108 wrote:
SkinnyODST wrote:
Yep it reduces the file size a lot ! Just download WinZip and then convert your mod.zip folder to mod.rar ;)

(My mod takes 3 seconds to DL with WinZip)
Wow, I`ll definitely have to use it then!
I highly recommend 7-Zip or WinRAR over WinZIP.

Awesome, thanks for the tip :mrgreen:
CT108
Rebel Sergeant
Rebel Sergeant

Post by CT108 »

Marth8880 wrote: I highly recommend 7-Zip or WinRAR over WinZIP.

The fun (or dumb) fact is that I'm using WinRAR and not WinZIP, I agree with Marth WinRAR is very usefull, and it's free ! :D
SkinnyODST wrote: Awesome, thanks for the tip :mrgreen:
No prob :wink: