BF1 Conversion Pack (need feedback)

Working on a new map? Have a new mod out for swbf2?! Post an announcement of the up-coming release here.

Moderator: Moderators

How should we release the pack?

Release a full beta on Saturday with all the maps
21%
Release only the completed maps on Saturday
29%
Wait to release the maps until they are at least 95% complete, then a small patch is okay
50%

Total votes: 56
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Leviathan »

Off-topic : moncal', with time, I think that Teancum has guessed himself that "rushing" Projects intended to either Star Wars Battlefront or Star Wars Battlefront II was not probably the most "valuable" way to follow in order to satisfy most of their future GameToast owners, which implies that reminding that was almost "unhelpful", especially when Tean' has already precised that the Progress of the concerned Star Wars Battlefront maps' Porting would be surely "slow"...
Epena
Old School Staff

Post by Epena »

English as?

Somtimes, you make me wonder, Leviatan....lol..
For those inept at 'Levialish', I believe that he said--
Levialish Translator Online wrote:Looking at past incidents in Battlefront 2, it seems that rushing has caused nothing but bad things.
:P
Last edited by Epena on Wed May 10, 2006 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

So I finished Kashyyyk Islands up last night. Just to let you know, here's where I am at:

Each map gets the following on top of the requirements you already know:
-ALL memory pools filled, just to be safe
-mapinfo.txt for every level
-Standard localization (they all look the same)
-Additional heroes for Hero Assault (every map but Naboo Plains has Hero Assault)

The next step for completed maps:
-Send them to have sounds fixed up (A buddy is going to fix things like soundspaces so that hallways echo and whatnot
-He'll also do one last check over everything (testing, checking for redundancy, etc)

Here's what I *hope* to put into the 1.1 patch:
-Geonosis: Spire (converted by Darth-Derkie) *definite
-Rhen Var: Harbor (converted by Darth-Derkie) *definite
-BF2 Coruscant Hero (Hero Assault) *definite
-BF2 Mustafar Hero (Hero Assault) *definite
-BF2 Mygeeto Hero (Hero Assault)
-Concord Dawn (by Jawa_Killer) *definite
-Methlyn: Ruins (by [GT]EraOfDesann) *pending his permission
-Haruun Kal: Jungle (by me... Conquest with XL reinforcements only) *definite
-Raxus Prime (by me) *depends of if I get time to finish it
-Chain Isle (by psych0fred) *possibly
CarbineImpulse

Post by CarbineImpulse »

Levialish
ROFL :lol:

Tean' all sounds good. I won't enquire about an ETA because I don't think it'd be helpful. With the non shipped BF1 conversion maps mentioned above, wouldn't they be more suited to the GT SWBF2 mappack (the non conversion one) or would they simply be included to "plump out" the contents of the 1.1 "patch"?
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Yeah, they're basically included so that it practically requires users to download the patch. That way everyone has the patch and we don't get version errors if I have to fix up any 1.0 maps. In the end I'll probably trim down the amount of maps though. In fact, how does this sound (to keep filesize & my personal stress down :P)

-Geonosis: Spire (converted by Darth-Derkie) *definite
-Rhen Var: Harbor (converted by Darth-Derkie) *definite
-BF2 Coruscant Hero (Hero Assault) *definite
-BF2 Mustafar Hero (Hero Assault) *definite
-Concord Dawn (by Jawa_Killer --Conquest, Hunt only) *definite
-Methlyn: Ruins (by [GT]EraOfDesann) *pending his permission

-Haruun Kal: Jungle can be released as it's own map later.
TAW_pinx

Post by TAW_pinx »

Looks good so far Tean! I really hope that all the work that everyone has put in will pay off by RE-Sparking the community. I think once everyone is streamlined and servers put only the maps from map packs on, it will really help! It also might help competitions as well, which seem to have lost their lustre as of late. Personally, I'm doing the best I can to work on some maps here and there and hopefully will get one out in the near future.

Good luck with your work and getting RL sorted out.

Cheers
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

Off-topic : Alright, TAW_pinx, as you seem to have consulted the current thread earlier, I would like to know if you have read the content of my previous messages, dealing with the fact that it might be interesting for most of GameToast members to get their hands down on the Source Files of the levels contained inside the Star Wars Battlefront Conversion Pack, and that's why I'd wish to get your possible opinions regarding such a decision...

Thanks in advance !...
forresal

Post by forresal »

Thanks for the update Tean. Best of luck with real life committments, they always take precedence.
Also, thanks for all your work for this community. We are all in your debt!
:D
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

I had to reinstall XP on my main drive, and lost all my backups & working folders. All I have as far as working folders are the incompleted maps. So that means we will have 1.0 of all maps, but no updates. Since that's the case, I'm just going to finish Tatooine, Geonosis and Rhen Var: Harbor up ... then all the maps are done.
TAW_pinx

Post by TAW_pinx »

Leviathan wrote:Off-topic : Alright, TAW_pinx, as you seem to have consulted the current thread earlier, I would like to know if you have read the content of my previous messages, dealing with the fact that it might be interesting for most of GameToast members to get their hands down on the Source Files of the levels contained inside the Star Wars Battlefront Conversion Pack, and that's why I'd wish to get your possible opinions regarding such a decision...

Thanks in advance !...
I have to say that I mostly agreed with Teancum's idea. I don't mind letting people look at LUA's or anything like that, but just to avoid many different versions of maps (which, IMO could completely kill the community). What I mean is if someone is having an issue adding a certain thing to their map that is specifically called in the LUA or REQ file, I'll have no problems sharing that.

I think that Teancum will be doing an awesome job tidying up the remaining maps and from there, everyone will have 1.0 version conversion (rhyming not intentional).

BTW, have users been looking at the Shipped Map Source files to get ideas at all? That's a great place to start and might even be better than Source files for user-created maps.

Xfire is: pinxtaw
MSN is: jfoster1@hotmail.com

If you want to discuss further...
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

Off-topic : OK, then... Anyway, I knew that attempting to persuade the Authors of the levels, shipping with this Star Wars Battlefront "Conversion Pack", to release freely the Source Files - Which have been exploited in order to design these Star Wars Battlefront II maps - might be lost beforehand, which does not mean I am currently disappointed by your decision, TAW_pinx : Indeed, if you could really provide GameToast Community the LUA Scripts associated to the stuffs you've realized for this "Map Pack", then be sure you would not regret this choice... :wink:
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

I'll get the luas and all source files I can up for free use once the pack is out. (I lost some due to reinstalling windows)
Vyse
General
General

Post by Vyse »

Teancum wrote:I'll get the luas and all source files I can up for free use once the pack is out. (I lost some due to reinstalling windows)
I am really interested in seeing the LUA's when they come out. For future maps I want to see how you got the ships to load on ground maps. I think they will be very helpful!

(As for the other source stuff, couldn't people download the BF1 tools to get the meshes themselves, granted they would have to make it BF2 ready in ZE but technically the source files can already be downloaded. People would just have to do all the work Teancum is doing, but they can get them.)
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Oh Vyse --- I haven't seen you online, but I'd like to add your "special Rattatak units" to a few BF1 conversions. What do you think?
Vyse
General
General

Post by Vyse »

Teancum wrote:Oh Vyse --- I haven't seen you online, but I'd like to add your "special Rattatak units" to a few BF1 conversions. What do you think?
Ya, studying for finals has taken up a lot of my time. :( I would be happy if you were to use some of my units in the conversion maps. Which ones were you thinking? If its a unit that know one knows about I am ok with saying it, I think it's time people knew some of the other units.

So, which units were you thinking?

Also, some how all the folders for the models you sent me are gone. I don't know what happened :oops: , could you please PM or maybe I'll catch you on MSN the model that you wanted done the most?

Last thing, Could you use my backward saber for your conversion at all?
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Vyse wrote:So, which units were you thinking?
Currently the entire KotOR gang awaits players in CW Cloud City Hero Assault.
Vyse wrote:Also, some how all the folders for the models you sent me are gone. I don't know what happened :oops: , could you please PM or maybe I'll catch you on MSN the model that you wanted done the most?
Yeah, I'll be on MSN for another hour or two tonight, and tomorrow off and on during the day. There's three units on my high priority list, with two of them working for multiple different heros in one enveloping
Vyse wrote:Last thing, Could you use my backward saber for your conversion at all?
Yeah I'd need to take a look at it. Perhaps we could do a Jedi Power Battles style Adi Gallia if we can get permission from the JA author to use that model. I'd probably have to sort out a new combo and munged animation to use it to its fullest potential.

I'll post the specifics of your new Rattatak units in that thread. I agree it's time to spill the beans.
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

Off-topic : Potentially speaking, you are right, Vyse, since the Source Files of the levels shipping with this Star Wars Battlefront "Conversion Pack" are indeed contained inside the Modification Tools intended to this LucasArts video-game. However, technically speaking, GameToast members having proceeded to their porting must have edited specific files, worked out problems inherent to the structure of the Terrain, Paths and other Parameters, required and having to be properly adjusted in order to make any map working efficiently in Star Wars Battlefront II...
Of course, as you must guess, such changes cannot be determined without looking at the stuffs Authors of the concerned levels have tweaked, which may explain why I was willing to download the Source Files associated to all these Projects...