Announcing Mountainside Assault -WIP-

Working on a new map? Have a new mod out for swbf2?! Post an announcement of the up-coming release here.

Moderator: Moderators

jangoisbaddest
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Announcing Mountainside Assault -WIP-

Post by jangoisbaddest »

I started this for three reasons: one, I can't do much with Kashyyyk at the moment. Two, there hasn't been much Galactic Civil War modding, so I wanted to make a map featuring a battle in that era (and an origional one, too). And three, I had several ideas pop into my head at once. Most of them will be featured in the list of features for the finished product of this map, listed below:

-Galactic Civil War battle - complete with custom sides that are more realistic

-A culmination of space and land. The Star Destroyer hovering meanacingly above the landscape will duke it out with the turrets, both remote and auto, placed all along the mountainside in this full - scale assault

-The Star Destroyer will feature mannable turrets on the bottomside for manual airstrike action
http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j285/ ... turret.jpg

-All mannable turrets will also feature the green beams - no more silly cahingun or particle cannons!

-New Sentinel class Imperial shuttle will replace the prototype. It is completely true to it's nature - extremely slow, not maneuverable, little weapons, but it can take a pounding and then some, as well as shuttle several troops and act as a mobile spawn point
http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j285/ ... uttle2.jpg

-Psychofred's hovernaut and/or snowspeeders will appear to combat the ferocious AT - ATs in addition to the full space vehicle array

-Another new air vehicle for the rebels (it's a secret)

-Elevator to transport human players between the ground floor and the mountainside observatory, where the turret stations are located
http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j285/ ... levate.jpg
Which is switch - activated!
http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j285/ ... evate2.jpg

-Rebel base will be almost completely inside the mountain, with the exeption of the enclosed observitory, which will have a stunning, safe view of the battlefield (once I get the fog effects worked out of course)
http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j285/ ... odview.jpg

-Conquest mode will be completely re - done. No bleeding. The Imperials will start out only with their hangar command post. They will have to use their landers to capture a command post on land before they can utilize their AT - ATs and other ground assault vehicles

-A number of balancing tweaks, including reducing the speed of ALL aircraft so they are actually usable for strafing and more vulnerable to ground attacks (like the BFI aircrafts)

-MAYBE - and I say maybe because it is extremely complicated and may take too much time - a singleplayer objective based mode

-XL and possibly CTF modes will compliment the Conquest (and perhaps Campaign) mode

Life is very much restricting my time, but hopefully I'll be able to finish ONE of these projects sometime soon. So I am working on something, just not Kashyyyk. This is in the early stages, so any ideas, advice, etc. is more than welcome.
JabbaLovesLava
Sith
Sith

RE: Announcing Mountainside Assault -WIP-

Post by JabbaLovesLava »

Looks good so far.
Qdin
Old School Staff

Post by Qdin »

pretty good :)
MartinK

Post by MartinK »

looking good, liked the elevator thing..
DeathRow
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: None.
Games I'm Playing :: Life

Post by DeathRow »

Looks good :wink:
Tuskenjedi

Post by Tuskenjedi »

keep modding man, you rock. I will love this map! :D
Protector_Pulch

Post by Protector_Pulch »

I have suspect: This new Rebel vehicle is a K-Wing, isn't it ?

In the the observatory screen you can see a strange bug with the ISD hangar - ít's walls are not displayed, but you can see the sky.

Please place the ISD as high as possible - on the one hand this allows cool dives, and on other hand, for Example in Staiger00's Geonosis Offensive Simultator Map, the Venator is dominating the sky -and that look's silly.
jangoisbaddest
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: RE: Announcing Mountainside Assault -WIP-

Post by jangoisbaddest »

Protector_Pulch wrote:I have suspect: This new Rebel vehicle is a K-Wing, isn't it ?
:?
Protector_Pulch wrote:In the the observatory screen you can see a strange bug with the ISD hangar - ít's walls are not displayed, but you can see the sky.
I know, I still have a lot of tweaking to do with the sky file. In fact, I may even turn it into a night/dusk map!
Protector_Pulch wrote:Please place the ISD as high as possible - on the one hand this allows cool dives, and on other hand, for Example in Staiger00's Geonosis Offensive Simultator Map, the Venator is dominating the sky -and that look's silly.
I know, but I can't get the autoturrets to work right when they're upside - down. They just sit there, unless the target is above them. This is not because of the turret's movement restrictions (i've tested upside - down remote turrets - the restrictions flip accordingly), it's just the AI that's being stupid. And I want the autoturrets right smack in the middle of the battle, so if I place the whole thing too high, the rightside - up turrets won't even be able to do anything. That's very sad. If anyone can tell me how to make the AI realize that they are, in fact, upside - down, then I would consider it.

Oh, and by the way, I just now linked all the Star Destroyer's turrets - they are now movie - realistic. Both remote and auto now fire with both barrels simultaniously, with a longer delay between shots.
dreadlordnyax

RE: Re: RE: Announcing Mountainside Assault -WIP-

Post by dreadlordnyax »

sounds great, except the sentinel is supposed to be fairly heavily armed (at least 4 laser cannons (wikipedia says 8 ), 2 concussion missile launchers, ion cannon turret, and rotating repeating blasters). of course its your map, so if you think a lightly armed sentinel makes for better gameplay thats fine with me, but i just thought i'd point that out ;)
t3tine

RE: Re: RE: Announcing Mountainside Assault -WIP-

Post by t3tine »

can't wait :D
jangoisbaddest
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: RE: Re: RE: Announcing Mountainside Assault -WIP-

Post by jangoisbaddest »

dreadlordnyax wrote:sounds great, except the sentinel is supposed to be fairly heavily armed (at least 4 laser cannons (wikipedia says 8 ), 2 concussion missile launchers, ion cannon turret, and rotating repeating blasters). of course its your map, so if you think a lightly armed sentinel makes for better gameplay thats fine with me, but i just thought i'd point that out ;)
Well I stand corrected! Sorry, it's just that in all the games (yes, I know, not good for continuity), the shuttle has had NO weapons, is very slow, and is basically a barge that carries as many troops as possible. However, in light of this new evidence, I'll probably just turn it into a counterpart for the K - Wing, and make the K - Wing the main assault vehicle for the Rebels. Besides, the AI isn't smart enough to use it as a transport anyway. Humans are the only ones that will be doing that.
Protector_Pulch

Post by Protector_Pulch »

jangoisbaddest wrote: Besides, the AI isn't smart enough to use it as a transport anyway. Humans are the only ones that will be doing that.
Could you fix it anyhow ? It would be really cool to have a Droid Gunship coming down right in front of you.

I think Xwingguy has found the solution for this problem, you could ask him.
Chamboozer
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Announcing Mountainside Assault -WIP-

Post by Chamboozer »

When you say the elevator is switch activated, how do you activate the switch? shoot at it?
jangoisbaddest
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by jangoisbaddest »

Chamboozer wrote:When you say the elevator is switch activated, how do you activate the switch? shoot at it?
Yes. The switches have infinate health, so you can just pull out a pistol and shoot the panel you want to start the elevator moving.
Protector_Pulch wrote:I think Xwingguy has found the solution for this problem, you could ask him.
I will indeed look into it! Because one of the things that I really don't like about BFII is how freakin stupid the flying AI is.
AlPhA29

Post by AlPhA29 »

any updates?its been 2 weeks
RAymo
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by RAymo »

AlPhA29, dont bump topics. jangoisbaddest will give us an update when he has one or when he has time :wink: