Beach Troopers

New maps and mods are coming out quickly. If you release something (even a beta) please post it here. Be sure to give details in the topic such as Map/Mod name and version

Moderator: Moderators

Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Beach Troopers

Post by Maveritchell »

I finally found a big enough hole in my schedule to get this thing wrapped up and out - so here it is for your enjoyment: Beach Troopers.

Beach Troopers is a simple side mod based on the amusing premise of Star Wars troops running around in bathing suits with water guns. You can play as these summer-themed sides on any one of five maps - Felucia, Kamino, Kashyyyk, Mos Eisley, or Naboo. Each of these maps has four modes available to it: Team Deathmatch, Sand Castles, Soak the Wookiee, and Survival.

Team Deathmatch: Is there really any explanation needed? This is a simple, familiar mode to allow you to have an easy way of getting used to the sides.

Sand Castles: Conquest with a bit of "siege" gameplay thrown in. You must capture the opponent's CPs, but one of theirs (and one of yours) is uncapturable and has a sand castle built over it. All your unlockable units are locked unless you have the majority of the CPs. To win, you need to reduce the opponent's reinforcements low enough that their sand castle becomes vulnerable, at which point you must destroy it. Once you've destroyed the opponent's sand castle, their final CP and the remainder of their reinforcements will become yours for the taking.

Soak the Wookiee: Conquest, but you're not the one doing the conquest-ing. There's a Wookiee running around the battlefield who can capture CPs (neither of the two teams can), and you need to attack the Wookiee until he starts pursuing CPs for your team. Keep him well-guarded, otherwise the other team can force him to start pursuing CPs for them.

Survival: Waves and waves of enemies come at you, while all you have is a couple tiny little squirt guns. What can you do? Kill the enemies, use your weapons, and they'll upgrade to more powerful weapons. Also be on the lookout for anything units may drop! Defeat two hundred enemies and one final boss to finish the battle.

Hidden/Spoiler:
I know that I've kept this mod fairly low-key - but don't let that turn you off! There's some really neat stuff going on in these new modes - especially give survival a try; it's a challenge that could keep you playing for quite a while.

Download:
FileFront mirror
MediaFire mirror

P.S.: All the modes in this mod I designed to be extensible; that is to say that they're not written as map specific, they should be able to be plugged in to any existing map (like the Dark Times II modes). If you're a designer and you have a hankering to use one of these modes, let me know.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Re: Beach Troopers

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Downloading right now. Looks like tons of fun. :)

Hidden/Spoiler:
[quote="Maveritchell"]I know that I've kept this mod fairly low-key...[/quote]

I wouldn't say that. Perhaps you just feel you raised the bar so high with Rebel Ops and DT2. However I think it's important to note that not all mods have to be massive and serious to be good. I'm sure Beach Troopers will have plenty of polish, and I think that's meets you standard to me. Mini-Rant over.
naru1305
Major General
Major General
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Post by naru1305 »

THEWULFMAN wrote:Downloading right now. Looks like tons of fun. :)
i agree, dling now, can´t wait to play :D

EDIT: thios makes so much fun to play, all here on GT download this and play it!
really nice and funny modes and the units are the best for me, great work as always from you Mav :bowdown:
Last edited by naru1305 on Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

Yes it's finally out! :D Can't wait to play!
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

I just played a DeathMatch and a Sand Castle match on Mos Eisly. It was a ton of fun, very light-hearted and that's what makes it work so well. Great choice of music, can never go wrong with Beach Boys. I have no complaints or nitpicks really. And I still have a couple more modes to try out. :)
acryptozoo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Yavin Mappack
Games I'm Playing :: Homeworld 2
xbox live or psn: acryptozoo

Post by acryptozoo »

Awesome can't wait to play
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

THEWULFMAN wrote:I just played a DeathMatch and a Sand Castle match on Mos Eisly. It was a ton of fun, very light-hearted and that's what makes it work so well. Great choice of music, can never go wrong with Beach Boys. I have no complaints or nitpicks really. And I still have a couple more modes to try out. :)
I second this!

Survival was very fun along with saok the wookiee. Soak the wookiee is my favorite. :)
RED51
Jedi
Jedi
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII

Post by RED51 »

This mod was fun! Soak the wookiee was also my favorite mode. Didn't get too far in survival yet; the AI were really aggressive and relentless at hunting me down! :shock:
Nova Hawk
Banned
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: MW3 BF3

Post by Nova Hawk »

Dude Mav, I don't know where you come up with these incredibly fun sidemods. Is it a pass time for you? Cuz you always seem to do superb work!

I will download this once I get my Win7 installed on my Mac. :thumbs:
Jendo7
Sith
Sith

Post by Jendo7 »

Just in time for summer! 8)

Thanks Mav, looks like a lot of fun :P
Cerfon Rournes
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: WIP. I will reveal what it is later on..
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2-SWRC
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Cerfon Rournes »

Downloading now. Awesome job Mav!
Edit
I just played all the modes. The Models/scripting/Concepts/Music are all great, Fantastic work! :)
Hidden/Spoiler:
I also liked the Grappling Hook in survival. It added a cool touch to the Gameplay. :thumbs:
Fiodis
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: Rannoch + Tientia + Tools Programming

Post by Fiodis »

Hidden/Spoiler:
I liked the "Vacationing Wampas", myself. Although, what were those tanks lying on the ground that killed me when I picked them up?
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

Fiodis wrote:
Hidden/Spoiler:
I liked the "Vacationing Wampas", myself. Although, what were those tanks lying on the ground that killed me when I picked them up?
Did you check your weapons after spawning again? Perhaps you got a new one/something cool...
Fiodis
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Fiodis »

Noobasaurus wrote:Did you check your weapons after spawning again? Perhaps you got a new one/something cool...
This was after I filled out all the empty weapon slots.
Hidden/Spoiler:
And had my normal ones upgraded.
Unlucky13
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Projects :: Models models models
Games I'm Playing :: Random stuff

Post by Unlucky13 »

They keep doing that forever even after you have completed everything.

BTW awesome mod you really got the feeling of a water fight. Made me feel like I was trying to have fun instead of trying to stay alive like normal BF2. Loved what you did with the trees on naboo.
Fiodis
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Fiodis »

Unlucky13 wrote:They keep doing that forever even after you have completed everything.
Yes, but why?
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Fiodis wrote:
Unlucky13 wrote:They keep doing that forever even after you have completed everything.
Yes, but why?
If you noticed, those are the same backpacks that units with the SS300 wear. The first time you pick one up, it adds capacity to all your guns. Every time thereafter, they completely refill your ammo and your health. You never die (I've made some improvements in that regard since Bakura) - it just takes you to the unit selection screen.
CressAlbane
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: CTF Arenas
Games I'm Playing :: Steam- cressalbane2

Post by CressAlbane »

This is a gem of a mod; even my parents had to laugh! The music is an excellent touch (I was born and rasied alongside Wipeout) and seems to immerse the player in a laid-back atmosphere. The gameplay feels very unique - the water falls so the player has to aim carefully! Sand Castles is, as I predicted, my favorite mode. Beach Troopers will be staying in my addon folder for a long, long time.
Hidden/Spoiler:
I was only able to eliminate 98 enemies in survival :faint:
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

CressAlbane wrote:
Hidden/Spoiler:
I was only able to eliminate 98 enemies in survival :faint:
Cerfon Rournes wrote:
Hidden/Spoiler:
I also liked the Grappling Hook in survival. It added a cool touch to the Gameplay. :thumbs:
Try using what Cerfon Rournes used. As waves progress (especially on open maps like Kashyyyk or Kamino) it becomes a crucial part of the strategy. You can get to lots of places if you realize that you can hold the button down longer to throw the decoy targets further.
Fiodis
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Fiodis »

Maveritchell wrote:You can get to lots of places if you realize that you can hold the button down longer to throw the decoy targets further.
:faint:

I'd been walking around placing my targets in earlier rounds when there weren't as many enemies, to use them later when I really needed them.