Malastare: Gran Compound 1.0

New maps and mods are coming out quickly. If you release something (even a beta) please post it here. Be sure to give details in the topic such as Map/Mod name and version

Moderator: Moderators

Jaspo
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: AotC DoW+++Boonta Eve Classic
Games I'm Playing :: WoT MBWBVC Robocraft
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Malastare: Gran Compound 1.0

Post by Jaspo »

I submitted it to filefront today, so it should be available there in a month or three :wink:

alternate download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?ri9tw6h5u81ea71
Herpaderp three months my foot :P http://starwarsbattlefront.filefront.co ... und;120874

Here's a written description of the map. The titular compound is a Gran police outpost located in a largely Dug-populated area on Malastare. Although Malastare is perhaps best known for its jungles, this map is set in a desert region, somewhat similar to what is seen here:
Hidden/Spoiler:
and features three walled-in sections with a bit of open space in the middle - great for sniping at from the various accessible 2nd-story balconies and towers scattered throughout the map. In contrast the walled-in areas have very good cover, as there are many lower walls separating various sections which are chest-high and ideal for urban warfare. Additionally, there are many buildings of various sorts as well as some storage junk to hide behind. One of the walled-off areas contains a meeting hall, another has a comm tower, armory, some storage area, and officers' quarters. The third is the "business" section of the compound, featuring a number of GI barracks, some office buildings, a canteen, and in a separate part, a couple of storage sheds. The surrounding landscape is very flat but strewn with large jagged rock spires (actually there is some height variation in the terrain but it isn't really perceptible.)

Screenshots:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Last edited by Jaspo on Fri May 04, 2012 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
yuke5
Field Commander
Field Commander
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 TF2 RC KOTOR
xbox live or psn: My steam is yuke5.

Re: Malastare: Gran Compound 1.0

Post by yuke5 »

So we're just waiting for the link? Well, it'll be worth the wait. The map sounds pretty cool and you haven't ever made a bad map before, so I'll be looking forward to playing it.
AcaelusThorne
Corporal
Corporal
Projects :: Republic Commando Side Mod
Games I'm Playing :: SWBII

Post by AcaelusThorne »

Sounds very interisting. I know you like the stock sides, so will there be stock sides only in this map
too ? (excluding lazer tag I mean)
Jaspo
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Jaspo »

Yup, stock sides. Heroes are Jango/Yoda, Boba/Chewie.

Oh, and I forgot to mention: I also submitted the MGC models separately as an asset pack, so they should show up on filefront when the map itself does. Presently they are also available on mediafire.

Link to the model pack topic:
forums/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=28076
Last edited by Jaspo on Fri May 04, 2012 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

Jaspo wrote:I submitted it to filefront today, so it should be available in a month or three ;)
If that is the case, and it might just be the case, that is still a pretty long wait, even for a veteran (I don't believe in seniority) member like yourself. Are you also aware that SWBF Files links tend to break very soon after they are up, if not immediately? It would be a good idea to have multiple download links anyway.
When it gets posted there I'll link to those screenshots here so as to avoid cluttering up the internet with duplicate screenies.
Why are you even worried about this? :? The Internet is already full of garbage and other unmentionable things that an extra set of a few handful of inoffensive screenshots of a custom SWBF2 map, weighing around maybe a few hundred kilobytes each, will hardly make a difference.
and I'll edit this topic heavily when it's presence becomes more readily apparent.
Isn't its presence already readily available to the fullest? You already have the map completed and archived, taken several screenshots of it, and perhaps also written up a nice little Readme. Why does SWBF Files even have to be a factor in your decision in making your map available? What advantage does this have? What is the point of writing a description when screenshots could have done the job a lot quicker? Why didn't you just wait until the file was available and then make this topic? I would like to see your reasoning behind all this please.
Jaspo
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Jaspo »

@AQT Consolidation, I guess. But yeah, you're right, I should go upload it to mediafire.
Edit: Done. Link is above.
Lephenix
Captain
Captain
Projects :: Becoming a Concept Artist-Illustrator

Post by Lephenix »

It needs light work and environment effects, but it looks good. I think of a light purple lighting, and environment smoke you see on geonosis but reskined to be more purple too.
Downloading now :wink:.
lucasfart
Sith
Sith
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by lucasfart »

I love the use of custom models! They look really awesome. I think Lephenix is right though - you really should try changing the ambient light colour a bit and add some custom effects - a little bit of blur would go a long way. Maybe a slight fog would also look good? It's all up to you though....

EDIT: Quite fun to playthrough as well! I love the layout - it works really well for gameplay. As far as problems go, I was getting major lag with shadows on high. I don't know how high-res your shadows are, but it was a problem for me. Mind you, I did have my LOD/viewdistance up quite high...

As far as improvements go, I think this would work really well with random environments - you could do a snow one, a rain one, a normal one...even a sandstorm or something.