Gun Game Mode 1.0

New maps and mods are coming out quickly. If you release something (even a beta) please post it here. Be sure to give details in the topic such as Map/Mod name and version

Moderator: Moderators

razac920
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Gun Game Mode 1.0

Post by razac920 »

This mod attempts to recreate the Gun Game Mode in Call of Duty and Counter-Strike. Everyone begins with a pistol, and getting a kill advances you to the next weapon. In total there are 60 weapons. Also, the game is free-for-all, no teams. THIS IS A SINGLEPLAYER MOD and will not work in multiplayer, so I've disabled the multiplayer option. Later I would to make a version of this for multiplayer, but significant changes are required. All the weapons and models are stock; this is purely a scripting mod. For now, it is set only on Tantive IV, but I can fairly easily add other maps. There are no command posts to choose from, you randomly spawn pretty much anywhere on the map. Everyone has infinite ammo, and there is no way to get health back, short of respawning (which will penalize you back a level). Also, the AI has been boosted considerably in difficulty, though the game is still very playable on Elite. For now all the bots are the same rebel model, but you (the human) get to choose between 10 different Imperial models, and all your progress is saved if you switch midgame. Note that since there are no command posts, you have to die and respawn to switch. Your score will appear as usual, and the "enemy's" score will be the highest of all their bots. You can select how many bots to play with in the Assault game mode settings; 32 is the max and can result in quite a lot of unintentional spawn-killing.

IMPORTANT: This mod requires [RDH]Zerted's UnOfficial v1.3 Patch, latest version found here: forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14483

To play this mode simply select the stock Tantive IV map, select Galactic Civil War Era and Gun Game mode, and enjoy!

Installation Instructions:
copy GGM to your */Star Wars Battlefront II/GameData/addon folder (if it's not there, create it first)

To uninstall just remove GGM from your addon folder.

Credits:
Pandemic/LucasArts
[RDH]Zerted for creating a functional free-for-all mode (also on Tantive IV)
Maveritchell for scripting help
anyone else who's helped me thus far, particularly at Gametoast Forums

Bugs:
If a person set on fire with flamethrower gets a kill, the fire disappears.
Scores for all the players will be very inaccurate, with many more "deaths" than actually occured.
A few spawn points may be in/above objects.
Bots pause momentarily after getting a kill.
Bots tend to aggressively target human more than each other.

If you find any more bugs, or have any comments or questions, feel free to contact me at smithd920 at gmail dot com.

Permissions:
Anyone can do whatever they want with this, so long as credit is given.

Download Link:
http://starwarsbattlefront.filefront.co ... ode;121115

Screenshots:
Hidden/Spoiler:
ImageImageImageImage
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Re: Gun Game Mode 1.0

Post by Noobasaurus »

This looks like fun! Downloading.

I can't wait to see the later versions of this!
willinator
Major
Major
Projects :: [Coming of the Sentinels]
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 Minecraft Halo
xbox live or psn: PC pwns all!

Post by willinator »

I played it, very well done! :thumbs: However, I agree with Mav. I don't see the purpose of haveing 4 pistol levels that are the same, 4 rifle levels, etc. One of each is fine.
razac920
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by razac920 »

Willinator, thank you for the comment! In multiplayer, there necessary must be a maximum of 20 weapons, so I am going to have to cut down a lot. I am planning to divide the guns by era, and perhaps randomize them (CIS pistol one round, REP the next, etc.). A question: Should I maintain the 1-kill-per-gun rule? Or will having only 20 weapons make the game too short?
willinator
Major
Major

Post by willinator »

Well, Gun Game in COD is one kill each, so that's something. My personal recommendation would be this: For each level, require more kills to advance. That would make it more difficult to advance from sonic blaster to pistol, then from regular pistol to commando pistol.
AcaelusThorne
Corporal
Corporal
Projects :: Republic Commando Side Mod
Games I'm Playing :: SWBII
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by AcaelusThorne »

I enoyed it verry much. (Mayby also because of the case that I planed to make exact the same thing for RepublicCommandoSideMod :) ) I also agree with Mav though and would leave out some pistols (/or make each individual). Also this mod would be great on other maps too. Of course it would be hard to get over the pistol and shotgun levels on big maps but I think that makes it a fun challenge. In that case I would even put the shotguns as second weapon "class" right after the pistols. Like that the weapons would get better and better the higher your level is (which is atm is arleady the case but I think your order of weapons needs a little improvement. Just for those who don't know the game mod from other games, there are two different tipes of Gun Game. One where you start with a "bad" gun (in most cases a pistol) and get better guns when you level up (make a certain ammount of kills with the gun) as a kind of reward and the other where you start with the best/a "good" gun and get "worse" guns when you level "up" (see the irony ? :lol: ). The point of the second method is too make it more challenging for the best player (guy with the highest level). At the end you need to be either really good or quite lucky when you are running about with a pistol while the others have SMGs and stuff like that.). So to get back to what I have said I would make an other like for example this: -pistols,-shotguns,-flamethrower arccaster and any other closequater weapons,-SMGs (leave these out if you don't want to stick with stock sides),-rifles,(-rocketlaunchers?),-snipers,(-some final weapon to make it challenging)
I made this order because if you want to add this mod to the other stock maps there are more big maps where weapons with higher range superior to the others. The final weapon can stick out of the order of improvement of weapons. I just noticed that "abrupt" end of the game isn't as good as a funny final weapon. This can be a det-pack, a grenade, a melee weapon (Lightsaber anyone?) or anything you like. Also note that the weapons in the different weapon "classes" I proposed would also improve. So like willinator gave the example: sonic blaster, regular pistol, commando pistol, (award pistol). Note though that not every weapon is clearly better than an other and everyone has his own preferences.
These a my suggestions :wink:
razac920
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by razac920 »

Willinator, I will consider that idea. That also would serve as a balancing mechanism. How did your games go? Did you find it wildly unbalanced? I haven't yet decided on the ordering for the multiplayer version.

AcaelusThorne, thank you for the feedback! I don't think I will want to make the game in reverse, with guns getting worse, as that isn't a traditional gun game. However, with the code I have, it would be very simple to make an additional "Reverse Gun Game" to do what you have suggested. Also, I could give you some of my source code to help you with your RepublicCommandoSideMod, if you'd like. I definitely plan on making it work on more maps; ideally, all of the stock maps in the end. I could put the shotguns right after the pistols; that is what Call of Duty does, after all, but in that game, it seems pretty clear that assault rifles are better (in general) than shotguns. In this game, the ordering of "power" seems a lot less clear. I do agree that the ending seems abrupt; I will try to make it more interesting. There are some issues with a lot of secondary weapons, though - autoturrets will attack you in free-for-all, mines will blow you up, the scripting doesn't detect who killed who with a detpack, etc. But I do think that I could add a thermal detonator in there. One big change that will happen in multiplayer is that I will have to go from my current 60 weapons down to 20. So I think I will make each weapon require more than one kill, somehow, to make the game last longer and be more enjoyable. Your thoughts about this proposed change?
willinator
Major
Major

Post by willinator »

Just look at the weapons, and see what they "really" are. In reality, the award sniper rifles and the tusken (cycler I think it is) are all the same. So, you really only need one of those. Um, award pistols should be earlier than the sporting blaster and han's one. Really, all of the weapons that are a 1-hit kill should be higher up the list than the ones that aren't. Other than that, it's pretty balanced. Oh, also, I think you should have the awards of a weapon come right after that weapon. I.e, the award pistol comes right after the commando pistol. Also, I think the chaingun should be higher up.
razac920
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by razac920 »

Here is my tentative idea on the new/revised/trimmed weapon list.
CW:
1. pistol
2. commando pistol
3. sonic blaster (geonosian)
4. award pistol/jango pistol
5. shotgun
6. bowcaster
7. award shotgun
8. flamethrower
9. rifle/wrist blaster
10. award rifle/wrist blaster
11. thermal detonator
12. chaingun
13. sniper rifle
14. award sniper rifle
15. repeater (droideka)
16. emp launcher
17. mortar launcher
18. bulldog
19. rocket launcher
20. lightsaber

GCW
1. pistol
2. commando pistol
3. sonic blaster
4. award pistol
5. han/leia pistol
6. shotgun
7. bowcaster
8. award shotgun
9. tusken rifle
10. incinerator
11. arccaster
12. flamethrower
13. rifle
14. award rifle/boba rifle
15. thermal detonator
16. sniper rifle
17. award sniper rifle/tusken sniper rifle
18. mortar launcher
19. rocket launcher
20. lightsaber

Thoughts, anyone?
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

razac920 wrote:A question, Maveritchell you wanted to get more game time with the weapons you like, and TWINKEYRUNAWAY, you felt the game was too short: Did you guys win decisively in your rounds? Personally I felt like the bots kept pace with me only until around weapon 6-10 or so, and then they'd lag and only get to around weapon 20 by the time I've won. Maybe a useful balancing mechanism would be to make the better weapons last longer - requiring more kills than the weaker ones. It's vastly easier to get 5 kills with a rifle than get 5 kills with a pistol. This would both make the game last longer and presumably allow you to get more time with the weapons you like, unless of course one of them is the starting pistol.
I think scaling up in relation to "level" is a good concept, and it's one pretty much every RPG uses (which is basically what you're doing here). Something else you could do is scale up enemies as they go (instead of letting them level up) - right now, the enemies get farther and farther behind you.

I made a mod similar to this where I used a basic leveling system of weapons and to keep pace with the player's growth, I made enemies more numerous instead of just more powerful (although more powerful enemies were also introduced). This is another way you could scale things - the end goal is to make sure that the player feels like he's getting more powerful but at the same time make sure the challenge isn't reduced too much.
Eggman
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Battlefront Chronicles

Post by Eggman »

I haven't tried the mod out yet, but it's a neat idea! I saw some gameplay videos of the Gun Game mode in Battlefield 3 recently, and I thought it might be fun to experiment with in Battlefront.

The idea of requiring higher numbers of kills for certain weapons is good, I think. Maybe have the number of kills be equivalent to the level the player is at? So 1 kill for the first weapon, 2 kills for the second, and so on. You might need to switch the weapon order around a bit to keep the gameplay flowing (for example, 16 kills with a sniper rifle could drag out for a while), but as a "rule" it would be very intuitive and logical for players.

I'll try to remember to give the mod a whirl tonight and post any additional feedback that comes to mind! :thumbs:
razac920
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by razac920 »

Ah Maveritchell, sorry for the confusion. I've noticed we are talking about two different things. I am working on making a working multiplayer version of this mode, not improving single player (at the moment, I will do this later). Certainly I could add more bots to it, but I feel like the player might want to be able to set the bot count, which is possible at the moment. Maybe I could allow for an increase mid-game, though I think more useful changes would be to increase AI difficulty drastically when falling behind, and perhaps, with this possible scaling mechanism, 1 kill for first weapon, 2 for second, and so on... to lower the requirements for bots when they fall behind. You seemed to suggest that the bots should not have the same weapon-switching mechanics as the player -- an obvious impossibility in multiplayer. I wonder, though, if I were to scrap it among other changes, the game can become more "difficult" and "challenging" for the player, which is good, but then there would be some confusion as to how the player could *lose*. Personally, I feel that the ability to lose, to fall behind and to be forced to improve play to survive is an important part of the game, and I don't really know how any sort of scoring could exist, but of course I am open to suggestions.

To Eggman, your suggestion is the same as Willinator's, and I think it is a good one. I wasn't sure if Gun Game purists would be upset about it, but I think, especially considering the weapon count reduction, it is necessary to make game longer, and to ensure that the first player who gets out of, say "pistols" territory inevitably wins. Also, perhaps 16 kills with a sniper rifle could drag out, but that would be the case for any other weapon other than say, a lightsaber. Having it drag out for a time isn't really any different from getting through the sniper rifles in Call of Duty's Gun game (extremely difficult in small, close-quarters maps when other players have shotguns). At least in Battlefront 2 the sniper rifle isn't half bad at close range, due to not needing to zoom to be effective. Also, if it is more difficult than normal, it will give other players a chance to catch up somewhat, balancing the game.
Tears2Roses
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer
Projects :: Oh some random stuff who knows
xbox live or psn: PC beats xbox.

Post by Tears2Roses »

Diet. Dr. Pepper I want to try this but the link is broken :(
willinator
Major
Major

Post by willinator »

The link is not broken. It merely has a bug SWBF files has had for a long time. Just refresh the page until it comes up.
Locutus
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: Stargate Battlefront Pegasus

Post by Locutus »

AcaelusThorne wrote:and the other where you start with the best/a "good" gun and get "worse" guns when you level "up" (see the irony ? :lol: ). The point of the second method is too make it more challenging for the best player (guy with the highest level). At the end you need to be either really good or quite lucky when you are running about with a pistol while the others have SMGs and stuff like that.).
I have to admit that I haven't played your mod yet, razac920, but the idea quoted above would be my preferred version for online gaming.
When using the level up method the best player will be superior super fast.
Leveling down sounds much more fun as it makes it way harder to win because then also noobs can become dangerous :)
razac920
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by razac920 »

Locutus, yes, I do see how that would be challenging and fun. However, I think that that couldn't really be called (at least traditionally) "Gun Game". At the moment though, this mod is only single player. I am working on a multiplayer version of it, and I will include at least 2 modes, Gun Game and Reverse Gun Game, with the reverse being what you have described. Only very minor changes in code are needed from one to the other, so it will be easy for me to maintain both.
willinator
Major
Major

Post by willinator »

I have to agree with Locotus here. For online gaming the levelling down is way better, and more balanced. I do however think that singleplayer is more fun as the levelling up, as that is more like the COD experience. Also, the AI would probably catch up more with the levelling down, cause in singleplayer I'll be up to rocket launchers and 1 or 2 AI will be at the Tusken Cycler.
razac920
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by razac920 »

OK well sure I can do it both ways easily enough. Question though, for the regular gun game I was thinking of a kill structure like 1 kill with first weapon, 2 kills with second weapon, 3 for third weapon, and so on. How should it be arranged for the reverse?
willinator
Major
Major

Post by willinator »

Reverse. If there are 20 levels, 20 kills with first, 19 kills with second, etc.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

willinator wrote:Reverse. If there are 20 levels, 20 kills with first, 19 kills with second, etc.
Think that through - if your order is "rocket launcher, sniper rifle, rifle, pistol," do you really want to make the kills descending in quantity? If you do, I disagree - I don't think it should ever take more time to get through earlier "levels" than later levels (and I wouldn't want someone running around with a crazy strong weapon for a longer time than a weaker weapon if it's early in the game).