Rising Conflict 0.9 (beta-ish)

New maps and mods are coming out quickly. If you release something (even a beta) please post it here. Be sure to give details in the topic such as Map/Mod name and version

Moderator: Moderators

Dreadnot9
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer
Projects :: Rising Conflict CW v2.0
Games I'm Playing :: Skyrim TF2 FTL
xbox live or psn: Steam is Dreadnot9

Re: Rising Conflict 0.9 (beta-ish)

Post by Dreadnot9 »

TWINKEYRUNAWAY wrote:
Hidden/Spoiler:
I am writing an article about this mod. I am very impressed with what has been done so far. Right now documents like this are not published yet into a website, but I am only taking into account mods that have that boom to it. Like this one.
Wow, this is really great, thanks :D ! Also, I like the screen shot.
Let me know whenever you get an article posted.

About the mod:
I've been working on changes for version 1.0, these include:
1. SBD has been given less health, nothing else has been changed
2. Clone Support trooper is now armed with a DC-15A blaster rifle, as well as other equipment
3. A few more units, like a republic flamethrower trooper, have been added.
4. many other things have been changed that slip my mind at the moment, but there have been quite a few actually.
Things to be done:
1. start a WIP thread where things like this should be... :runaway:
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Empire Rising
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF Doom FONV
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

If I may suggest, is there no way to get a better looking republic commando model? The model itself isn't bad, but it I believe there are better models out there to use.

I was playing with the IG-80 assassin droid, its an interesting concept. Kinda like a droid bothen spy, however I think maybe a weapon change would benefit it more. Maybe some kind of assassin pistol or assault sniper rifle to make it seem more fitting.
Dreadnot9
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Dreadnot9 »

TWINKEYRUNAWAY wrote:If I may suggest, is there no way to get a better looking republic commando model? The model itself isn't bad, but it I believe there are better models out there to use.

I was playing with the IG-80 assassin droid, its an interesting concept. Kinda like a droid bothen spy, however I think maybe a weapon change would benefit it more. Maybe some kind of assassin pistol or assault sniper rifle to make it seem more fitting.
Well about the Republic Commando: I actually really like the current model, however if you could link me to a better one I would always consider adding it in v1.0.
For version 1.0 the IG assassin droid will just be a variant of the droid sniper, and the stealth role will be filled by a new Shadow Droid unit (with incenerator, gas grenades, pistol and stealth).
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

Actually, a lot of the models Ive played with are closed source. :( This makes me sad because the community could use those and I don't think nobody would steal them(especially since the majority of the community would know who created them). I know the XXXXXXXXXXXX has a great looking one but for the time being its for their thing. I guess it is really not that bad, much better than some of the other lower res ones. I think what would make the model stand out a bit more is some custom paint jobs or a whiter grey skin like was seen in the the demo versions of republic commando.
Hidden/Spoiler:
However its really your mod, and I will enjoy it regardless :p

I like the incinerator model, its pretty cool. However man, if a droid is going to be using it, the tan-ish color scheme should probably be more dark or saturated. It seems a little bright, and if it was changed to a darker color I think it would benefit from that.

did some tests on dantooine. It seems occasionally it will crash on the uber mode. I was playing in one instance as a jet trooper and I was shot down and then the game just exited me out. I suspect it is probably just the map that did this and it happens very uncommonly.

This dantooine map you created is very very well done. At first glance it seemed kinda flat, but I explored from the top with a jet trooper and saw all the textures and geological formations. It looks legitly like how a dantooine map should look like. From my understanding you released this map as a beta as well, so I want to say for a first map, it is pretty darn good.

Ill get back to you if I find anything else.
Last edited by TWINKEYRUNAWAY on Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ARCTroopaNate
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront - Tides of War
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 RC EAW
xbox live or psn: I have ps4

Post by ARCTroopaNate »

TWINKEY, quiet, Gametoast doesn't know about us yet. :lol:

I still haven't decided if we're gonna release our assets after we finish our mod, I'm really undecided.

But the Commando was downloaded, I was using WULFs white commando skin and neomarz's model.
Dreadnot9
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Dreadnot9 »

TWINKEYRUNAWAY wrote:I think what would make the model stand out a bit more is some custom paint jobs or a whiter grey skin like was seen in the the demo versions of republic commando.
Hidden/Spoiler:
I could try a reskins to try and lighten up the RC, but as you hinted at, this was the best model I could find, and I think it's pretty well done, so I'll stick with it for now.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY wrote:I like the incinerator model, its pretty cool. However man, if a droid is going to be using it, the tan-ish color scheme should probably be more dark or saturated. It seems a little bright, and if it was changed to a darker color I think it would benefit from that.
Re-skins all around then :D ! I'll get on that, do you think a dark grey would work, or should I move towards a more black incenerator?
TWINKEYRUNAWAY wrote:did some tests on dantooine. It seems occasionally it will crash on the uber mode. I was playing in one instance as a jet trooper and I was shot down and then the game just exited me out. I suspect it is probably just the map that did this and it happens very uncommonly.

This dantooine map you created is very very well done. At first glance it seemed kinda flat, but I explored from the top with a jet trooper and saw all the textures and geological formations. It looks legitly like how a dantooine map should look like. From my understanding you released this map as a beta as well, so I want to say for a first map, it is pretty darn good.

Ill get back to you if I find anything else.
That's actually odd, becauase just the other day I had a crash on dantooine under the exact same circumstances, maybe I'll just swap out the jettrooper and see what happens! Thanks for all the compliments and suggestions, I'm hoping to get all these changes (and more) in version 1.0, which I hope to release relatively soon, but not too soon.
How do you feel about a new melee class (magnaguard for CIS, clone assassin for REP)?
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

Im sorry Arc, I wasn't aware it was a secret, ill edit my post. 8)

As for the melee classes like the clone assassin and magna guard, im very glad your adding them in.
Unfortunately, classes like them will sometimes be over powered because they can really cut ppl up fast like a jedi hero character. If you have played the old republic mod, you will see that the sith warrior in it is very much like those 2 classes as is any with a lightsaber or sword type weapon. I bring up that class from that mod because it is actually balanced out pretty well, the only weapon given to that class is their melee weapon and the sprint. I think if you make the clone assassin and magna kinda like that, they will not only be very enjoyable, but will not over power any one too much. Some modders tend to give the magna guard a block, which is something I don't suggest.
Jedi type characters can block lasers and stuff because they are force sensitive and the magna guard is just a machine with no connection to the force.

I dont know if these suggestions would help, but it would help keep them a wee bit balanced than they normally would be if they were given extra stuff.
Dreadnot9
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Dreadnot9 »

Well my current setup for each is as follows:
About 800 health (for reference the commander class generally have 850-900)
No sprint ability, but very fast base movement speed (so no sprint attacks)
No secondary weapons, only melee weapon.
How many point to unlock do you think would be appropriate?
ARCTroopaNate
Jedi
Jedi

Post by ARCTroopaNate »

I think that 16 Points to Unlock might work.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

It really depends on you bro. But since it is one of those unique classes, I would suggest anywhere between 10-15 kills. Maybe 13?

Im really not too familiar with health, but your stats seem reasonable. Increasing speed and taking out the sprint is a wonderful choice. That way players don't just sprint and button mash away at enemies, it will take skill and thinking to get kills.

One question that comes to mind is, are you keeping the stock vehicles or are we gonna to see custom work with that? I don't think it matters that much, but I thought I would ask anyway.

Also are we gonna see heroes? This particular one doesn't matter to me either, I never really liked having heroes, but if they are there cool.
Dreadnot9
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Dreadnot9 »

ARCTroopaNate wrote:I think that 16 Points to Unlock might work.
I think we have a winner, a reasonable total.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY wrote:One question that comes to mind is, are you keeping the stock vehicles or are we gonna to see custom work with that? I don't think it matters that much, but I thought I would ask anyway.

Also are we gonna see heroes? This particular one doesn't matter to me either, I never really liked having heroes, but if they are there cool.
Well on the vehicles- I've already got a the dwarf spider droid on Dantooine, to be perfectly honest I would add custom vehicles to the stock maps, but I don't believe that Vehicle spawns can be changed through SetProperty/SetClassProperty. However, If I add additional maps (most likely not in v1.0, but maybe beyond that) you can expect to see the likes of the AT-AP (FragMe! did a great job on this), UT-AT's, MTT and more.
I'm still debating on whether to add heroes back or not. Mav suggested it in his review on filefront, and I can understand why. If I add them it will be along with archer01's AI hero support script (so the AI will also have a hero on the field, balancing the effect of a hero unit a bit). Plus, some of the stock heroes are a bit bland, and I haven't put much time/effort into custom heroes. So if they are in version 1.0, they will be stock heroes with the AI support script.
Next major thing to be done is add more variation to the republic side (galactic marines, 41st-esque legion, Phase I clone :clone: legion for geonosis and yavin IV).

EDIT: I changed the RC skin to WULF's white skin, looks a lot more like the reference picture you posted, I'll stick with the change for now. Also, melee units have been implemented and so far balance has been maintained.
ARCTroopaNate
Jedi
Jedi

Post by ARCTroopaNate »

You could load your custom vehicles as their own side and give them the same name as the stock vehicles. If you wanted to replace the at-rt in utapau with a ut-at you would create a side called ut-at and take the ut-at odf and req and rename in to rep_walk_oneman_atst and un-call for the stock at-rt lines is your lua and load your custom ut-at in your lua, the vehicle spawn is looking for something called rep_walk_oneman_atst. So yeah, you can replace vehicles without changing anything with the vehicle spawners.
Dreadnot9
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Dreadnot9 »

ARCTroopaNate wrote:You could load your custom vehicles as their own side and give them the same name as the stock vehicles. If you wanted to replace the at-rt in utapau with a ut-at you would create a side called ut-at and take the ut-at odf and req and rename in to rep_walk_oneman_atst and un-call for the stock at-rt lines is your lua and load your custom ut-at in your lua, the vehicle spawn is looking for something called rep_walk_oneman_atst. So yeah, you can replace vehicles without changing anything with the vehicle spawners.
Oh man, do I feel silly, I've even done that before, I guess it just slipped my mind. Thanks Nate.
It's not a bad idea at all, may have to tinker with that, right now I'm focusing more on the sides though, but I'll keep this in mind and work on it once I'm happy with the sides.
Alas, a modder's work is never done :runaway:
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

TWINKEYRUNAWAY wrote:Some modders tend to give the magna guard a block, which is something I don't suggest.
Jedi type characters can block lasers and stuff because they are force sensitive and the magna guard is just a machine with no connection to the force.
The Magnaguard is an IG-100 Assassin Droid, the IG-88 model had the ability to process things faster than real time(see Tales of the Bounty Hunters). You could easily say the IG-100 also has this ability.

In Revenge of the Sith and The Clone Wars series, the Magnaguard can block and spar with Jedi. That's the entire point to them. They need block in order to fight Jedi. So it is logical for a modder to add the ability to block on the Magnaguard. They can use a pseudo force-sense ability, by processing reality faster than real time. It would be nice to only allow them to block lightsabers, and not blaster bolts, but the game engine doesn't allow that.

I'm not saying this mod should have a Magnaguard that can block, I'm just stating there is justification to adding it.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

THEWULFMAN wrote:
TWINKEYRUNAWAY wrote:Some modders tend to give the magna guard a block, which is something I don't suggest.
The Magnaguard is an IG-100 Assassin Droid, the IG-88 model had the ability to process things faster than real time(see Tales of the Bounty Hunters). You could easily say the IG-100 also has this ability.

In Revenge of the Sith and The Clone Wars series, the Magnaguard can block and spar with Jedi. That's the entire point to them. They need block in order to fight Jedi. So it is logical for a modder to add the ability to block on the Magnaguard. They can use a pseudo force-sense ability, by processing reality faster than real time. It would be nice to only allow them to block lightsabers, and not blaster bolts, but the game engine doesn't allow that.

I'm not saying this mod should have a Magnaguard that can block, I'm just stating there is justification to adding it.
I think you know what I meant bro. Of course its the blaster fire I was referring to, though I should have been more clear about blocking. :maulsaber:
Be that as it may , adding the block basically gives you a very unfair advantage over standard units. Its like a hero character in the stock units almost. Unless its like a character with a shield type thing, like the phase one dark trooper with nerfed health so that unit has a reason to have/use block. I guess what I am getting at is that because of the way battlefront is, and because it has to block everything and cant be separated from blaster fire and other melee type weapons, its better just to leave it out. Or less, use darth mual type melee and annihilate you enemies with ease :maulsaber:
Not all mods are like that though, there are some really good renditions of melee characters with block that work quite well.
Dreadnot9
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Dreadnot9 »

At this point the magnaguard is essentially the same as it was in the beta, if he could block then, he can block now. The only adjustments I might have made would be to health and points to unlock. I have never been able to block with the magnaguard, so I don't think they can (but as WULF pointed out, if they can it's not such a bad/senseless thing anyhow). I never felt they where overpowered, only annoying when they came out of nowhere slashing at me, can't react in time :) .
Do you think adding award weapons would be good or bad thing (not the stock award weapons mind you)? These would be sensible award weapons, the DC-15 carbine would be replaced by the same weapon with an extended stock and would fire more accurately and do more damage than standard. All other award weapons would follow this type of formula (if added).
Thanks for all the feedback everyone, it really helps get those creative ideas flowing :thumbs:
ARCTroopaNate
Jedi
Jedi

Post by ARCTroopaNate »

No thanks on the award weapons imo, I personally cannot stand them, whenever I have a profile that gets one, I make a new profile so I won't use them.
Dreadnot9
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Dreadnot9 »

ARCTroopaNate wrote:No thanks on the award weapons imo, I personally cannot stand them, whenever I have a profile that gets one, I make a new profile so I won't use them.
Haha I feel that way a lot about them as well. Though I think this is partially because the stock award weapons don't have huge benefits over the normal weapons. I don't want a burst rifle, I want full auto destruction! And the lack of different models for the award weapons made them even more bland.
I'll leave out the award weapons, though I've been thinking you could get an orbital strike beacon by getting the "war hero" (or whatever the hardest to get medal is) award, that would be kind of cool imo. Thoughts?
yuke5
Field Commander
Field Commander
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 TF2 RC KOTOR
xbox live or psn: My steam is yuke5.

Post by yuke5 »

That is a cool idea, but I'm not sure if it's possible.
Dreadnot9
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Dreadnot9 »

yuke5 wrote:That is a cool idea, but I'm not sure if it's possible.
I remember seeing somewhere while browsing the forums there was a listing for the code lines:

Code: Select all

MedalsTypeToUnlock = 1
ScoreForMedalsType = 1
but it was set for the War hero award. This was a while ago, and I may be remembering this incorrectly, but I'm hoping it's possible.