Designated Days: ORG Chapter 1-3

New maps and mods are coming out quickly. If you release something (even a beta) please post it here. Be sure to give details in the topic such as Map/Mod name and version

Moderator: Moderators

icemember
Rebel Warrant Officer
Rebel Warrant Officer
Projects :: Designated Days Chapter 1
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 Mortal Komabt
xbox live or psn: icemember x

Designated Days: ORG Chapter 1-3

Post by icemember »

OPERATION REPUBLIC GHOST
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter 1-3
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mytdgcf8xkqf02s/D02_v1_0.zip

Credits
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bobfinkl - map design etc.
icemember - map updates, models, textures, envelope, sides, sound
RevanSithLord - ideas, support
THEWULFMAN - ground textures
Syth - gun animations
DARTH.D.U.C.K - support (even when he stop modding SWBF)

Floating icon people
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike Z - for the original code
Majin Revan - for his efforts and for making the topic
FragMe! -
SWBF2
Private Third Class
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: BFII COD BF-EA
xbox live or psn: tR Vortexx

Re: Designated Days: ORG Chapter 1-3

Post by SWBF2 »

Nice, DLing now
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

The Good:
-Top-notch unit kitbashes, as always.
-Campaign included? Super.
-Map design is pretty solid, and I like some of the flavor you've added in the city.

The Bad:
-Model textures (buildings) seem kinda lazy. It's tough to make really large objects, because you always have to be worried about the texture looking okay from both far away and then from up close. Consider using detail textures.
-You should probably have left GCW conquest mode out if you were going to leave the CP setups the same as your campaign. It's pretty silly to have the CP balance be 7-1 in favor of one team.
-Non-automatic fire for the basic rifleman's (CW) rifle? That's sort've a pain in the butt.

The Ugly:
-I don't even want to think about playing through your final campaign objective without the hero unit. It looks like you tried to make up for the huge reinforcement count by throwing a hundred units on the field at once. I wouldn't ever throw that many units out unless the player was guaranteed to have a way of dealing with large groups all at one time (i.e. some form of AOE).
-Non-recharging stamina? On a map this big? Are you crazy? It's already time-consuming to walk from objective-to-objective, but when you (effectively) say "Want to run? Well, I hope you didn't want to roll later." Yikes.
-Invisible grenades. Invisible grenades. Why.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Empire Rising
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF Doom FONV
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

All in one package, need to try this!
icemember
Rebel Warrant Officer
Rebel Warrant Officer

Post by icemember »

Invisible grenades? Show me? Unless you mean by not having the tracer on the thermals makes them invisible?

Weird! I thought I put a hero lol!

Stamina? The enemy drops them lots. Roll as much as needed. And why would I or we be crazy for modding it this way? The level is big, so choose the newly captured CP rather spawning all the way at the 1st CP every time you die lol.

It's only meant for the republic. GCW comes later.

I tone the DC-15A rifle down to a 1 button press. So comes the support units that has the hold and fire. There's even a heavy gunner that blows away every bad guy insight!

I added the republic reinforcement count based on ww2 military logic. The enemy reinforcement count so the campaign can be finished.

The unit count for epic battles. I'm not a fan of (one man army vs entire army). Not sure about the rest of the teams thought on that.

But never the less, thx for the feedback. And we do listen to the feedback an bug reports. Improvements will be made in the distant or near future. One can never tell lol.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

icemember wrote:Invisible grenades? Show me? Unless you mean by not having the tracer on the thermals makes them invisible?
Yeah, it does. There's no sound cue for them and nothing that catches your eye when they're used. Since you've tied your horse to the "lots of units on the screen" wagon, it's incredibly difficult to tell when enemy grenades are used (until they blow up).
icemember wrote:Weird! I thought I put a hero lol!
You did, which is what I said. I had the hero available, but had I died, it would have been ridiculous to try working on the final objectives. You can't just assume that your player will do or have one thing or another.
icemember wrote:The level is big, so choose the newly captured CP rather spawning all the way at the 1st CP every time you die lol.
Oh, is that how Battlefront works? I had no idea.

My point is that if you're forced back from one spawnpoint (even to the one immediately prior), because everything's so linear, you're going to want to run back to the active objective. It's likely that, by the time you're there (if you've run the whole way) your energy is gone. I'm just telling you that, as a player, I encountered many situations where I had no energy and, as a player, it wasn't any fun. I've made the mistake (many times) of getting so wrapped up in my own design that I lose sight of whether something is fun or not for the player.
icemember wrote:It's only meant for the republic. GCW comes later.
I'd suggest not including partial features, then - or at least make a note of it being incomplete. There's nothing to indicate that you meant this any other way.
icemember wrote:I tone the DC-15A rifle down to a 1 button press. So comes the support units that has the hold and fire. There's even a heavy gunner that blows away every bad guy insight!
Every unit should be fun to play. You shouldn't take one part of the game and say "I'm going to make this a pain in the butt so that other stuff feels better." The very first objective the player is presented with is "go shoot these static turrets." If I'm using the rifleman unit (the first unit the player is presented with), then I'm attacking these turrets by clicking fifty times. That is a bad player experience.
icemember wrote:I added the republic reinforcement count based on ww2 military logic. The enemy reinforcement count so the campaign can be finished.
Is this a game or a military simulation? Right now it's so high that it effectively never ends. I'm also concerned that you're using it as a justification for lots of units on the field. If you're going for military simulation, then the first thing you should address is the fact that your enemies just run - unencumbered by cover or any type of strategic movement - in a straight line at each other. That's not WWII military logic, that's military logic from the Napoleonic Wars.
icemember wrote:The unit count for epic battles. I'm not a fan of (one man army vs entire army). Not sure about the rest of the teams thought on that.
The problem is that a high unit count lends itself to the exact opposite of "epic battles." The way AI work in this game drive the game behind the concept of "player versus AI." You have to build around that. All you do by increasing the unit count is turn the game into exactly what you say you don't want - one man versus an entire army.

If you want something more tactical, lower the unit count, work on some serious AI improvement (pathing, for one, needs a lot - AI run in to walls all the time), and buff your enemy AI (healthwise). What you have now is built around the player being forced to deal with hordes of enemies with minimal AI support.
icemember
Rebel Warrant Officer
Rebel Warrant Officer

Post by icemember »

All you do by increasing the unit count is turn the game into exactly what you say you don't want - one man versus an entire army.
I guess from a perspective point of view. But what I meant was, being the only soldier for your side on the battlefield. And its for the epic battle scene.
You can't just assume that your player will do or have one thing or another.
Isn't that the reason there's different classes? Build, change to the engineer, destroy, change to the heavy trooper, too much enemy, change to the bigger faster guns? Those new to Battlefront I would expect this from. The hero was made to do these things to help out players having a hard time.
Yeah, it does. There's no sound cue for them and nothing that catches your eye when they're used. Since you've tied your horse to the "lots of units on the screen" wagon, it's incredibly difficult to tell when enemy grenades are used (until they blow up).
Ok will put the tracer back on with a corresponding enemy tracer.
Oh, is that how Battlefront works? I had no idea.
lol your kidding.
My point is that if you're forced back from one spawnpoint (even to the one immediately prior), because everything's so linear, you're going to want to run back to the active objective. It's likely that, by the time you're there (if you've run the whole way) your energy is gone. I'm just telling you that, as a player, I encountered many situations where I had no energy and, as a player, it wasn't any fun. I've made the mistake (many times) of getting so wrapped up in my own design that I lose sight of whether something is fun or not for the player.
Ok, will beef up the energy to suits everyone hopefully.
I'd suggest not including partial features, then - or at least make a note of it being incomplete. There's nothing to indicate that you meant this any other way.
Right. Will get something to notify players that the GCW era is not available at this time. But will come eventually.
Is this a game or a military simulation? Right now it's so high that it effectively never ends. I'm also concerned that you're using it as a justification for lots of units on the field. If you're going for military simulation, then the first thing you should address is the fact that your enemies just run - unencumbered by cover or any type of strategic movement - in a straight line at each other. That's not WWII military logic, that's military logic from the Napoleonic Wars.
LOL!! What I meant by military logic was to explain for the reinforcement count being so high. Not that this is or the AI would act on it 100%.
If you want something more tactical, lower the unit count, work on some serious AI improvement (pathing, for one, needs a lot - AI run in to walls all the time), and buff your enemy AI (healthwise). What you have now is built around the player being forced to deal with hordes of enemies with minimal AI support.
Ok. There is some barriers that need to be placed. Lowering AI can be done I guess.

But yea, this feedback has been noted and I do appreciate it.
RevanSithLord
Sith Master
Sith Master
Projects :: Designated Days + LFC + GT vs SWBFC
Games I'm Playing :: FO3 + FO New Vegas
xbox live or psn: Master Revan

Post by RevanSithLord »

Seems like there's a bit of a major disagreement here.

All this really boils down to is preferences of style of gameplay and whatever I say to defend the project will sound quite rather biased seeing as I am one of the project leads alongside Icemember.

Massive unit counts, well I personally like it - not when I have a bad computer (but I changed that by getting a newer more gaming dedicated one). Believe me when I say, however, do not worry, there will be smaller infantry engagements on certain special forces type missions here and there - but we'll let you know when!

Truth that stamina should be slightly increased. Personally I've had almost no problems on that seeing as though I only used it in bursts, but you have a point there.

Might need to be a few more grammar/spelling fixes (noticed only a few), that's about it as for the campaign objective screens.

Would be neat to see AI take cover a bit more. Will text you a couple more ideas I had in mind, Ice.
DarthSolous
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 Halo Minecraft
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by DarthSolous »

Downloaded.