Forward Assaults

New maps and mods are coming out quickly. If you release something (even a beta) please post it here. Be sure to give details in the topic such as Map/Mod name and version

Moderator: Moderators

MrMuffins
Private Recruit
Projects :: FAS
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII Terraria BF3
xbox live or psn: None

Forward Assaults

Post by MrMuffins »

So here is my one and only map so far, made this about 2 years ago. Haven't gotten in the mood to make more maps (though I'm kinda edging towards it now) and thought I might as well release it.
Performance wise I might as well say, as a newbie I did add a lot, though strangely my laptop (which is really terrible) doesn't actually have a problem running this or the amount of AI that exist.

Here is the old description I saved from before:

Map Name: Forward Assaults
(Not the greatest name I know)

Anyways my first map mod ever for a star wars game.

[Plot]
Hidden/Spoiler:
The Republic Army, under command of Obi-Won, has detected a small Trades Federation's weapons and vehicle factory hidden deep within a small valley.
It is surrounded by high mountains, with numerous lush green forests all around.
With a small unit dispatched from the main fleet, a lone frigate sets out to assault the factory.
Unbeknownst to them, the CIS knows of this and prepares a defensive position.

The Republic Acclamator I-class medium frigate, after coming out of hyperspace, sets down nearby and begins launching AT-TE's and gunships.
With the [not so] alerted pilots, they cross heavy gunfire and facing many casualties. Cis's AA guns blast away at the gunships, heavy tank cannons knock back the AT-TE's,

and never-ending patches of CIS troops crush and force-back the Republics men. However, with a doubt, the soldiers manage to beat the CIS at their main gate and gain

control of it. With their small victory pumping a bit of hope and morale into the remaining men, they begin the final push into the CIS's base.
This is where you come in, solider. Help the rep's 750 remaining soldiers in an last ditch effort to put a dent in the factory's workings and push down the metal folly's.
Or you could just play as the CIS and just wipe out the reps. What do I care, you have fun either way.
[Description]
Hidden/Spoiler:
A fairly large map, its in the form of Kashyyyk but then again I wasn't aiming for that. But I <3 Mountains though :P
Anyways the main CIS base is at the end, and the reps is at the front. You may think its just a forward assault (:D) on side to another.
Well this is what the reps. think, or are supposed to. As the cis has a weapons storage factory to the right and a vehicle production factory to the left.
To the rep, its a straight battle, until the heavy artillery comes in and keels them all :D
The map is (huge) however the actual battle area is medium-ish.
[Vehicles]
Hidden/Spoiler:
---Rep
[list]AT-TE (1x)[/list]
[list]IFT (2x) (2x+ if captured weapons factory)[/list]
---CIS
[list]Homing Spider (2x)[/list]
[list]Dawrf Spider (2x)[/list]
[list]STAP (2x)[/list]
[list]Snail Tank (3x)[/list]
[Sides]
Hidden/Spoiler:
---Rep
[list]Normal except fel. sniper, modified blue AT-TE[/list]
[list]AT-TE fires all four guns rather then two, and sec having a launcher gun thingy[/list]
[list]Jet Trooper removed.[/list]
[list]Hero: Obi-Won[/list]
---CIS
[list]Normal Battle Droid replaces engi, but still has the stuff.[/list]
[list]Walker Droid fires a beam instead of the staps guns.[/list]
[list]Droideka removed.[/list]
[list]Battle Commander Droid Officer with an advanced rifle[/list]
[list]Dawrfs armament is the same in the movies (kinda)[/list]
[list]Dawrfs speed slowed[/list]
Some details:
Hidden/Spoiler:
--Barriers
[list]Should be close to done, as I played it alot, spotted the bugs, and added them in where I missed.[/list]
[list]I'm a little edgy on planning, especially since some of the units seem to just completely ignore them, or one of them goes on a path I PUT AS SOLIDER ONLY and goes

on a joyride getting stuck on a mountain...
Also some of the units in vehicles stop at random hubs located around. idky and searching bought up nothing.[/list]
[list]Some lighting has been added, not a whole lot. A small dark sun has been added overhead.[/list]
[list]Rain was added.
rainshadows added to inside and over-head buildings. However some of them don't work....[/list]
[list]Some ground detail was put in, in places that made it look "right"[/list]
[list]For example, muddy ground where troops mostly walk. burnt ground for the props crashed at-te and gunships
Mountain textures, etc..
However some of it bug and leave marks or don't show even though I went in and re-did it/added new ones. [Researching] [link=> http://gametoast.com/forums/viewtopic ... 27&t=26270][/list]
[list]Kashyyyk sky added, darken to add darkness stormy effect.[/list]
[list]Its mostly bumpy,[/list]
[list]Also in the middle, some added higher-then-normal small mountains, to aid in troopers battles.
A good place to ambush...?[/list]
[list]Things that made sense added.[/list]
[list]Tried to make it "look" like something.[/list]
[Other]
Hidden/Spoiler:
---Tur
[list]Green leaf texture added to the main turrets, as only the cis has them, they are hiding them[/list]
[list]E-WEB blaster added[/list]
---Localization
[list]Some weapon name changes, vehicle name changes, and hints changed.[/list]
---Load Screen
[list]Random Load Screen upon launching the map[/list]
[Bugs]
Hidden/Spoiler:
[list]Textures mentioned above[/list]
[list]Planning bugs mentioned above[/list]
[list]Some of the vehicles sometimes stop motionless at some hubs, without even shooting anyone attempting to killing them[/list]
[list]AT-TE can't go through the wall gate.[/list]
[list]Super battle droids are shiny (??)[/list]
[list]The E-WEB shots are over-shot[/list]
[list]Large Map(?)[/list]
[list]Snail tank has no sounds for its firing[/list]
[list]Droid Commanders Gun name doesn't come up[/list]
[list]Some of the rain shadows don't work...for no reason.[/list]
[list]The droids seem to not like the speed of the dawrf, and keep trying to "make" it go faster..[/list]
[SS]
Hidden/Spoiler:
(Click for larger)
[list]
[/list]
[Credits]
Hidden/Spoiler:
Bunker - Psych0fred
Sky's Models - Sky_216 [http://www.gametoast.com/forums/viewtop ... 64&t=19751]
Sky's model pack 2 - Sky_216 [http://www.gametoast.com/forums/viewtop ... 64&t=24661]
Bunch o'l props - squipple [http://www.gametoast.com/forums/viewtop ... =64&t=9156]
Model Pack - YouJediJunkie [http://www.gametoast.com/forums/viewtop ... 64&t=14187]
Drawf Spider - PsychOFred and a_speck_of_dust's Hi Res Texture for it.
The rest are stock assets.
[DL]
Its only 28MB (98 uncompressed)

MediaFire: http://www.mediafire.com/download/k2y4m ... 7uc/FAS.7z
SendSpace: http://www.sendspace.com/file/br92lz

For kicks and giggles I made a short video too http://youtu.be/hEl7BiTwuIA

Big o'l wall o'l text hidden, anyways I hope somebody enjoys this...looking back I could of done better then just a large open map but there will be time for that in the near future.
Also for some reason this doesn't work online. Thanks for checking this out :)
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Re: Forward Assualts

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Looks pretty good for a first map. You even added a directional light, nicely done. A lot of people forget to do so.
Locutus
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: Stargate Battlefront Pegasus

Post by Locutus »

A bit too big for a short skirmish map but it looks great!
This natural setting creates a great atmosphere. Would be a nice campaign map:)
(This is way better than my first map^^)
SAMofBIA
Major General
Major General
Projects :: Nothing....nothing at all.
Games I'm Playing :: League of Legends
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by SAMofBIA »

Did you try to change the droid skins by any chance? I know when I tried to reskin the CIS I forgot to re-add the alpha layers (I believe, its been awhile) and they turned out extremely shiny and plastic-like.
MrMuffins
Private Recruit
Projects :: FAS
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII Terraria BF3
xbox live or psn: None

Post by MrMuffins »

THEWULFMAN wrote:Looks pretty good for a first map. You even added a directional light, nicely done. A lot of people forget to do so.
Thanks :) Yea I wondered why everything was flat looking..found a tut on lights, bingo.
Locutus wrote:A bit too big for a short skirmish map but it looks great!
This natural setting creates a great atmosphere. Would be a nice campaign map:)
(This is way better than my first map^^)
I remember I went overkill on the size (it being the largest I believe) then after adding a bunch of stuff and cp's, finally getting in-game and...well lets just say you couldn't see the other end. However you couldn't change the map size without everything messing up so i just moved some mountains around. Still quite huge though.
SAMofBIA wrote:Did you try to change the droid skins by any chance? I know when I tried to reskin the CIS I forgot to re-add the alpha layers (I believe, its been awhile) and they turned out extremely shiny and plastic-like.
Not that I can think of it..although it must've been a custom side mod cause they seem perfect right now, and the loading screen's rep rifle is a short version where in the game its long.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

MrMuffins wrote:However you couldn't change the map size without everything messing up so i just moved some mountains around.
You can change the map size as long as it remains a power of two(same goes for textures) Otherwise it gets all messed up, the prop placement specifically.

128x128
256x256
512x512
1024x1024

I suggest you never go beyond 1024. You can make a rectangle shaped map if you wish, 256x512 for instance. 512 is the largest I'd ever suggest unless there are lots of flyers involved. Most stock maps are like 256x256 I do believe. Anyway, smaller is usually better. 256 is the recommended size. Even then most the action goes on in an area much smaller than the actual size of the map.
kinetosimpetus
Imperial Systems Expert
Imperial Systems Expert
Projects :: A secret project
Games I'm Playing :: Warframe STO

Post by kinetosimpetus »

I think he means the objects get messed up when resizing terrain.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Probably, but figured it couldn't hurt to explain about map sizes anyway.