Kashyyyk: Depot - Public Beta

New maps and mods are coming out quickly. If you release something (even a beta) please post it here. Be sure to give details in the topic such as Map/Mod name and version

Moderator: Moderators

AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Kashyyyk: Depot - Public Beta

Post by AQT »

Hello all. Here's some background information regarding this public beta release today (in case some of you might have missed the post a few days ago):
[b][color=#FF8000]AQT[/color][/b] wrote:So I haven't been working on implementing the other modes I said I would these past few weeks due to a lack of interest, and I don't plan to do so any time soon. My ultimate goal for this project was to create the map itself with the campaign story as its main focus, which I think I've already accomplished.

...[The map] will only feature the campaign mode that was updated after I received and implemented feedback and suggestions from my alpha testers. (Thanks again, guys! :D )
Anywho, here are some screenshots:
Hidden/Spoiler:
And the readme:
Hidden/Spoiler:
KASHYYYK: DEPOT (BETA) - by AQT

What it is:
----------------------------------------

This is a mod map inspired by the Kashyyyk level from the game "Star Wars: Republic Commando"

Information:

This map is only playable on the Clone Wars era. All sides/units are custom.

The only available game mode is:
* Campaign - Play as RC-1278 "Oiler," a non canon Republic Clone Commando, as he and Phi Squad retake a strategic Wookiee supply depot occupied by Trandoshan and Separatist forces.

Installation:

Extract the KDP folder from the self-extracting archive into your Star Wars Battlefront II\GameData\addon folder. Delete it to uninstall.

Notes:

* You must have the Unofficial 1.3 patch installed (r129 is the latest version) in order for this map to work properly.
* The map will show up in the Instant Action list as "Kashyyyk: Depot" in grey colored text.
* If the campaign is not the first mode to be launched from the Instant Action list, then there will be an absence of music during its gameplay.

Credits:

Alpha testers: Agentsmith38, Dreadnot9, JimmyAngler, KeepAmazinn, Kingpin, Marth8880, TKE

AceMastermind
- Tantive 4 small door frame

ANDEWEGET
- Trandoshan models/textures
- DC-17m ICWS texture

CodaRez
- DC-15s side arm & Wookiee bowcaster models

DarthD.U.C.K.
- Kashyyyk bench & crate models/textures
- Improved Republic gunship model
- EC detonator/Thermal detonator MSH & explosion effects
- HD clone trooper helmet
- Clone Commando models/textures
- "RAS Prosecutor" console
- "Wookiee Berserker" unit
- New ammo pick-up item
- ACP Repeater model/texure

Deviss
- First person model for DC-15s side arm MSH

Eddie
- Crane & "big fence" models

Fragme!
- Floating icons fix/tutorial
- HD clone trooper

Inyri Forge
- Bacta tank prop model & texture

Marth8880
- Low resolution model for CIS lander
- Sound editing

Naru1305
- Improved LAAT/i co-development

Neomarz
- Visor addon MSH

Pandemic
- SWBF2 & mod tools/assets

RepSharpShooter
- ACP array gun MSH
- HD clone trooper
- Meshtool

Sky_216
- Red & blue laser impact effects
- Disk weapon ODF reference

T551
- Original Ryyk blade model

Taivyx
- Stouker concussion rifle MSH

VF501
- DC-17m ICWS MSHs

Willinator
- CIS lander with closed doors
DOWNLOAD (82.51 MB)

Feel free to post or discuss anything relevant to the map, but if it contains "spoilerific" elements, please be sure to use hide tags. Thanks!

Have fun and enjoy. :)
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Re: Kashyyyk: Depot - Public Beta

Post by Marth8880 »

Lookszo goodzo, friendzo! :o zo
ZaxusFett
Corporal
Corporal
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2_SWBF_SWRC
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by ZaxusFett »

Very nice just played through it and wow I can't even use any words to describe how good it is, though is this supposed to be based completely off the Republic commando game? If so why aren't there any magna guards? :P
PizzatheHutt
First Lance Corporal
First Lance Corporal
Projects :: Something...
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront 2

Post by PizzatheHutt »

What can I say apart from " Wow !!! Its excellent !!!"
Also, very nice stock prop reskin !
I also liked the "Hints" very much, thats a nice addition to the game.
I've done a little beta report:

Gameplay: Very good, more offensive than RAS Prosecutor, which is a good thing.
Some little balance problems: -The ACP turrets are very weak, they should do a little more damage.
-The Super Battle Droid wrist rockets are too dangerous for my taste, but its perhaps more realistic like that (after all, rockets are supposed to do one-shot-kills).

Visuals/Graphics: nothing to say, its just beautiful !!! :D

Bugs:
-Just after the advisor and before the Trandoshan attack, you can go inside the big tree.
Spoiler
Hidden/Spoiler:
- On the ground, near the wookie house in the center, when you jump on the middle of the outer walls, you die.
Spoiler
Hidden/Spoiler:
-In the end, when you shoot at the CIS landing vessel, the turrets gun are behaving strangely, they get stuck sometimes, but you can still shoot.In fact, they are behaving as if they were firing slowly with an enourmous recoil.
Other:
Spoiler
Hidden/Spoiler:
-The missions: capture the south room, the north room, etc... look a little too much alike, you could differenciate them with enemies (in one room a droideka, in another perhaps an elite trandoshan, or magnaguard...), or with props (carpets, weapons, etc...)
- Perhaps use random time: morning with fog, afternoon with rain (or snow, it would be fun on Kashyyyk).
- Perhaps make different versions of "Oiler", to choose your weapons: one with rocket launcher, one with crossbow,etc...

Overall, its a very good map, with awesome graphics and gameplay.
However, even if you said you wouldn't add other modes, could you add imperial era conquest ? :stormie:, it would be a shame to have only one mode on such a good map !

EDIT:
I finished the campaign, and in fact all the little difficulties (grenadiers, rockets, lack of ammo) really make the campaign better, because you actually have to watch your ammo and be careful about rockets, and not just rambo your way through the map.
CommanderCody
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Games I'm Playing :: swbf2 skyrim

Post by CommanderCody »

Reaaaaallly nice :D
I will try it out and will post my review later :cpu:
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Post by Anakin »

:thumbs: So the map looks very very good for a beta. Most would release this as an final version.

here are the things i report:

maybe spoiler
Hidden/Spoiler:
-After i destroyed the turrets it doesn't continued the mission. But i think it was a member of my sqaud who destroyed it. But i fact it was destroyed.

- Numbers and colored amors for the other squad member would be great.

- your HUD isn't that good. if you have a look at the 1st perspective, the helmet part is for 16:9 display terrible, the HUD icons are too big, and they have problems with the backdrops.

- Health droid: maybe you can make the RC healt droids instead of the bactatanks
But there is also an interesting thing about the HUD, after your helmet is before the weapons, but your health and enery bar are also shown in the first perspectiv, but the hud icons are not.
So it would be great if you could tell me how you did that, because i have these problems with my own HUD.

i don't want to impose on you but if you make an conquest mod i would like to get your lua file to include it to my RC side mod.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Empire Rising
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF Doom FONV

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

Edit (Improved Version of cover art) :
Hidden/Spoiler:
I really can not beleive this is a beta, and I cant beleive someone figured out how to finally put voice acting in custom campiagns. Ill be sure to give my report/suggestions soon...
Last edited by TWINKEYRUNAWAY on Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

TWINKEYRUNAWAY wrote:I cant beleive someone figured out how to finally put voice acting in custom campiagns.
We've (more-or-less) always known how, it's just a matter of having the proper equipment and voice actors to record lines.
zwyx1234
Lance Corporal
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 Insurgency

Post by zwyx1234 »

@TWINKEYRUNAWAY
I'd remove the translucent clone from the image. It seems out of place. Otherwise, nice cover.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Nice work, AQT. It obviously leverages a lot of the stuff you and DarthD.U.C.K. used for Prosecutor, but it works well here too. The map work is really good. I like especially what you did in the middle - it took me half a tick to figure out where you'd even gotten the assets from. Really well put-together.

As for the campaign, a couple nitpicks. Your intro sequence should be able to be bypassed by the player. It's neat that you did VO for all the objectives, but it's tiresome waiting through that half-minute intro every time you start the mission. I'd suggest simply completing the objective if the player walks far enough ahead - they're not missing any vital information.

You also use a limited-resource mechanic (which is fine), but it's tied to a system of lives. This becomes an issue towards the end, where the player is facing a lot of enemies. There's no incentive to stay alive once your heavy ammo is depleted (AA, Sniper, grenades) - if you hurry up and die, you can manage the group a lot easier. Likewise, if you try to stay alive, you're almost bound to fail that objective. I have a couple suggestions:

-Add some logical penalty for dying. This may mean that you need to implement some kind of bonus that you can later take away (e.g. a health regen, a shield increase).
-Give the character only one "life," but increase his survivability
-Reduce the difficulty of the final waves (this is a little boring, as suggestions go)
-Change the nature of the final challenge (okay, I'll explain this one)

The issue with the end of your mission is that it's simply a war of attrition. The player is most successful when he manages his resources this way (e.g. maximizes them by dying). I understand that you want to end the mission on a high note (and that's good! that's a good concept), but you can create the feeling of a big battle without making it "stand here and shoot." If the enemies come in from different places (e.g. maybe some enemies get dropped in the center from shuttles), you can still have a "stand and shoot," but it turns into a different exercise. Here, you're penalized for dying because your objective requires you to get to a place, not just stand in one, so if your position is reset by dying, you get penalized. Alternatively, introducing a "drop-the-flag"-type objective (e.g. plant a targeting beacon on the CIS lander) still makes you face off against the horde of enemies, but you have to go do something, and so you're incentivized for not dying (because if you die, you have to redo the run).

If you just reduce the difficulty of the final waves - which is, like I said, sort've a weak suggestion - then you don't disincentivize the player from dying (it's still easier to hold off the waves by killing yourself), but you do somewhat mitigate the need for it. Any of the other suggestions (or any combination of them) will meaningfully cut down on what I feel is the biggest gameplay issue with your mission.
DeltaEnforce
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Post by DeltaEnforce »

DLing right now, gonna give you my opinion about it after I play it :) :runaway:
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Empire Rising
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF Doom FONV

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

*Found a few instances where if you have wookies follow you and if they kill the two auto turrets in the second objective instead of you, it wont let you go onto the next objective.

Now onto my personal suggestions and overview of this beta.

For starters the presentation overall is quite impressive. I can tell you and others put a lot of effrot into this map. I didn't find any noticeable clipping in the walls and/or texture, which is a very good thing.
Your intro sequence should be able to be bypassed by the player. It's neat that you did VO for all the objectives, but it's tiresome waiting through that half-minute intro every time you start the mission. - Mav
I couldn't agree more. I like the voice acting with each objective, but the first objective should be shorter or bypassed by the player. I can see what you were going for with a mission briefing from your advisor, just like in Republic Commando. I think some people might not be skillful off the bat and starting over might be a re-occuring thing. So having to to go through that particular part everytime might frustrate some inpatient people.

The concussive rilfe seemed to add an extra level of difficulty in the first objectives where your fighting on the bridge. Get in the way of one of those and then get blown off into the shadow lands. :lol: I love it! The SBD is really menacing just like I remember them, hard to kill. I did encounter instances where when I would berley walk into a room and get a rocket to the face.(and killed almost instantly). Not a personal problem I have, but it does happen from time to time. Same goes for the concussive rifle, one hit kill sometimes. :p Those tricky nerf herders hehe

Something I feel gets a tiny bit repetitive is where you need to take those control rooms. Maybe its becuase they look the same for the most part, some various prop placement in different areas of the rooms would help them each feel more unique. At least thats how I would do it. If your familiar with droid dispensors, that could also have some awesome oppurtunity. Like one of the hallways could have one in there or maybe crashed through the roof to give the impression of the CIS sending small amounts of reinforcments. Just a thought though.

I agree with Mav that the final wave takes a toll, and that dying purposely to resupply ammo seems like a plausable choice when it comes down to it. I respectfully disgree that the live count should be lowered to one though. I think what would sovle that problem is adding some kind of ammo box or ammo cache/crate to a few of the rooms. Maybe being able to build a supply crate could be another option since we have acess to a fusion cutter. If you go back to one of my previous statments, hazrads like the Concussive rifle shots and SBD rockets can in some instances one hit kill you. If it were to be lowered to one life, I think that would cuase an unfairness in the campaign.

Overall, very impressive and I look forward to other comments and imrpovemnets.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

TWINKEYRUNAWAY wrote: If you go back to one of my previous statments, hazrads like the Concussive rifle shots and SBD rockets can in some instances one hit kill you. If it were to be lowered to one life, I think that would cuase an unfairness in the campaign.
Full disclosure, I think those weapons are completely bogus anyway, one life or not (and, for what it's worth, I suggested making the one-life change concurrent with an increase in survivability - so if you only had one life, you'd need more health/shields). I didn't mention it because it had already been mentioned (and because that's a personal choice issue more than anything), but yeah, I think they're a little dumb when half the units on the field have them. Grenades work because you have time to dodge them, but the AI in large groups fire these things from the hip, and one poor placement gets you killed.
JimmyAngler
High General
High General
Projects :: Battlefront Halation
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF 1-2-2015
xbox live or psn: none

Post by JimmyAngler »

Was anyone able to complete the landing zone objective? I couldn't run fast enough before It got cancelled.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

JimmyAngler wrote:Was anyone able to complete the landing zone objective? I couldn't run fast enough before It got cancelled.
It (the cancellation) triggers on entering a zone. It's not an objective you're supposed to be able to complete.
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

TEST wrote:is this supposed to be based completely off the Republic commando game?
Nope, it was only inspired by the game.
PizzatheHutt wrote:-The missions: capture the south room, the north room, etc... look a little too much alike, you could differenciate them with enemies (in one room a droideka, in another perhaps an elite trandoshan, or magnaguard...), or with props (carpets, weapons, etc...)
TWINKEYRUNAWAY wrote:Something I feel gets a tiny bit repetitive is where you need to take those control rooms. Maybe its becuase they look the same for the most part, some various prop placement in different areas of the rooms would help them each feel more unique. At least thats how I would do it. If your familiar with droid dispensors, that could also have some awesome oppurtunity. Like one of the hallways could have one in there or maybe crashed through the roof to give the impression of the CIS sending small amounts of reinforcments. Just a thought though.
Yeah, I was being extremely uncreative at these sections. It was due in part to me making the map first, and then making up objectives on the fly to bridge together the major objectives I already had in mind. But I will keep these suggestions in mind for the future.
Anakin wrote:-After i destroyed the turrets it doesn't continued the mission. But i think it was a member of my sqaud who destroyed it. But i fact it was destroyed.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY wrote:*Found a few instances where if you have wookies follow you and if they kill the two auto turrets in the second objective instead of you, it wont let you go onto the next objective.
Aw, darn...I forgot to look into this when it was caught in the alpha version. :x
Maveritchell wrote:As for the campaign, a couple nitpicks. Your intro sequence should be able to be bypassed by the player. It's neat that you did VO for all the objectives, but it's tiresome waiting through that half-minute intro every time you start the mission. I'd suggest simply completing the objective if the player walks far enough ahead - they're not missing any vital information.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY wrote:I couldn't agree more. I like the voice acting with each objective, but the first objective should be shorter or bypassed by the player. I can see what you were going for with a mission briefing from your advisor, just like in Republic Commando. I think some people might not be skillful off the bat and starting over might be a re-occuring thing. So having to to go through that particular part everytime might frustrate some inpatient people.
Alright, in the future, I will have an objective prior to the mision briefing that gives the player the option to bypass it or listen to it.

@Mav, regarding the game play of the final challenge: I completely understand where you are coming from because I've done it myself, although not intentionally. (It usually involves a sudden SBD rocket to the head, which I do admit is annoying most of the time. :P )

For me personally, I play on a profile without any permanent award weapons, especially the Endurance, Guardian, and War Hero ones. So earning and having those while progressing through the mission really does make things easier, and this is enough of an incentive to not die during that final challenge. However, I realize that not everyone plays like this. Also, not everyone who does make it to the final challenge will have enough lives to spare to reset their ammo count. If they do, then I think they deserve to exploit this mechanic. Otherwise, their only incentive to stay alive is simply to not fail the mission.

I am not looking to change this particular objective drastically, and I hope you understand. But do you think a less drastic option would be, if the player dies, he spawns in the area in between the lander and depot instead? (i.e. the location that triggers the cancellation) I really do appreciate the suggestions, though. They've given me some great ideas on how I would like to do future campaign objectives.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY wrote:Edit (Improved Version of cover art) :
Hidden/Spoiler:
Looks awesome, Twinkey! I like it. :thumbs:

Thanks for all the feedback so far, guys. I didn't address all of them, but I have acknowledged them. Glad everyone is enjoying the map and campaign for the most part. :)
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

AQT wrote:I am not looking to change this particular objective drastically, and I hope you understand. But do you think a less drastic option would be, if the player dies, he spawns in the area in between the lander and depot instead? (i.e. the location that triggers the cancellation) I really do appreciate the suggestions, though. They've given me some great ideas on how I would like to do future campaign objectives.
Honestly, I think I'm just not enamored of the objective, but I'm not making suggestions I seriously think you'll implement at this stage in the game. Something to learn from, maybe? The whole idea of "defend a point" is a dangerous one, because you take away the player's agency to go get stuff done and turn the game into a shooting gallery. You've already done that once in the level, and it's - well, it's not boring, it just feels a little played out by the time it rolls around again. Not to mention the fact that I think you had a concept for the last objective (CIS lands, you do a gradual fallback to a defensible position) that doesn't get played out in the play of the objective.

Most of the time, it plays like you see here (http://www.xfire.com/video/61d42a - skip ahead to the end, and don't mind the fact that I've got way more health than I should. I tested it multiple times, cheating and not; this just happened to be the video I took). You find yourself trapped in a small room, literally just shooting in one direction. Even if it must be that kind of objective, it would be infinitely better if you had to defend the center of the facility, or something that at least gives you a little room to breathe. You used this objective one other time in this level and one time in the Prosecutor map, and I think it worked better in both of those cases, in no small part because you had some options.

Anyway, like I said, I'm not pushing for a change. I like the map, I think it's well-done, and your campaign work is always welcome. I'll always look for something to be improved upon; in this map, I think this is it.
TeeJehy
Games I'm Playing :: SWTOR Payday Halo
xbox live or psn: TeeJay

Post by TeeJehy »

This is a great mod, well done.
PizzatheHutt
First Lance Corporal
First Lance Corporal
Projects :: Something...
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront 2

Post by PizzatheHutt »

Maveritchell wrote: You find yourself trapped in a small room, literally just shooting in one direction.
The same thing happened to me, I just stayed near the Bacta tank and fired at the entrance.
However, I like this objective , as the campaign must have an epic ending.
A good way to make it more interesting would perhaps to add CIS gunship support for the droids to force you to fall back.
Maveritchell wrote: it would be infinitely better if you had to defend the center of the facility, or something that at least gives you a little room to breathe.
Thats a good idea. As I liked a lot the end of RAS Prosecutor, when clone shuttles came to help you, a good thing would be to have LAAT shuttles coming at the starting point and in the middle to drop clone troopers.

However, that's just suggestions, the map is already excellent, it's hard to believe its a beta !
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

Maveritchell wrote:Not to mention the fact that I think you had a concept for the last objective (CIS lands, you do a gradual fallback to a defensible position) that doesn't get played out in the play of the objective.
Yep, that's what I was definitely trying to shoot for. I usually stick around at the area between the CIS lander and depot and hold off the droids the best I could with the assistance of all the Wookiees I managed to save throughout the mission (they do a suicidal charge at this point of the game). Then once I get overwhelmed/all the Wookiees get killed, I fall back to depot where I have most of my squad members forming a second line of defense. Of course, saving your allies isn't required to successfully complete the mission, and not everyone is going to know of this strategy off the hand. This was my failure to think from the perspective of someone who would be playing this for the very first time. But yes, I will keep your suggestions in mind for the future. :)
PizzatheHutt wrote:Thats a good idea. As I liked a lot the end of RAS Prosecutor, when clone shuttles came to help you, a good thing would be to have LAAT shuttles coming at the starting point and in the middle to drop clone troopers.
Eh, I was thinking about doing something similar to this but went against it. It's even in the mission briefing: "Be advised that Republic and Wookiee forces are currently spread thin, so no additional reinforcements will be available for the duration of the mission." Gotta make do with the allies already given to you was my thought. :P