Kashyyyk: Jungle Outpost [Beta]

New maps and mods are coming out quickly. If you release something (even a beta) please post it here. Be sure to give details in the topic such as Map/Mod name and version

Moderator: Moderators

yuke5
Field Commander
Field Commander
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 TF2 RC KOTOR
xbox live or psn: My steam is yuke5.

Kashyyyk: Jungle Outpost [Beta]

Post by yuke5 »

Kashyyyk: Jungle Outpost

Hey guys, I've reached a point of progress in my map where I can release the map. This is not the final release, I plan to add much more. However, I really just want to publish something.
So, without further ado...

DOWNLOAD (16.9 MB)

Pictures:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Readme:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Installation Instructions:

Move the folder "OI3" to your addon folder.
If you do not have an addon folder, create one at LucasArts\Star Wars Battlefront II\GameData\

Credits:

Pandemic - Original SWBFII Mod Tools, and the assets from Star Wars Battlefront and Star Wars Battlefront II

Bertie and Dragonum - Platform assets used to make map

Squiddie - Crane prop

Mav - Dark Times Era Mod and Era Implementation Support

Gametoast Community - Support, advice, and just being awesome.

Note:

This is a beta release, so the map may be prone to bugs. If you find any, please PM at gametoast,
or you can email at hdeedwards@gmailDOTcom

Thank you, and I hope you enjoy the map.
If you find any bugs, please let me know. I recently just discovered a floating torch, so I'm fixing that, but the map was already uploaded and everything...so...

Any comments, questions, or criticisms are very welcome.

Thank you, and I hope you enjoy the map.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Re: Kashyyyk: Jungle Outpost [Beta]

Post by Maveritchell »

Nice work. Don't see any major issues mechanically, although I'm a little bummed that you have the whole elevated area and don't really do anything with it. The map might be a little more exciting if you tossed a couple CPs up there. I saw your floating torch up there too.

The only thing I saw that was a real honest-to-goodness bug was the alpha channel flag you've got on your bridges. From the bottom of the bridge, it renders a high-glow section where the alpha should be - there are a few stock props that have this issue. You may not see this depending on your PC settings/capabilities, so if you need a little more detail, let me know.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Post by Anakin »

*downloading*

Nice to see it released. will give you a feedback after i played it.
CommanderCody
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: swbf2 skyrim
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by CommanderCody »

Looks really nice, I will try it out!
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Empire Rising
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF Doom FONV
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

Tis the season of awesome kashyyyk map betas. Excellent job as always my friend, you have a knack for making a map feel very pandemic-ish.(As if pandemic made it themselves). ill give some more feedback the more I play it.
yuke5
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by yuke5 »

Maveritchell wrote:The map might be a little more exciting if you tossed a couple CPs up there. I saw your floating torch up there too.
Yeah, I might need to do that. I've been experimenting with hint-nods and stuff to get AI units up there, but it hasn't been as successful as I would like. I'm a little hesitant to do so because I will have only made maps with the same CP layout. I'm considering using those two areas as bases for CTF or other gamemodes.
Maveritchell wrote: The only thing I saw that was a real honest-to-goodness bug was the alpha channel flag you've got on your bridges. From the bottom of the bridge, it renders a high-glow section where the alpha should be - there are a few stock props that have this issue. You may not see this depending on your PC settings/capabilities, so if you need a little more detail, let me know.
I had honestly forgotten about this issue. I think I can fix it by editing some msh.option files. I'll get to it right away.
MikeTheBeast55
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: N.A.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF1 SWBF2 LOTR
xbox live or psn: MikeTheeBeast55

Post by MikeTheBeast55 »

I loved this map a lot but for some odd reason the map crashed when I tried to launch GCW Era, all the other ones were fine. But other then that I did not see any AI running into barriers so good job.
Locutus
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: Stargate Battlefront Pegasus

Post by Locutus »

Cool map, yuke!:D
Played a few matches now. Here's a short feedback list:
(Mhh, the "bad" sections just looks a bit long but I just got carried away with suggesting things, so that doesn't mean I like it. In fact I like your map a lot:))

The good:
The map's atmosphere is awesome. I like the overall lighting a lot, the mist blends well creating a coherent setting. The props are placed well, the games were fun - all important things are perfect.

The bad:
For my taste the map was lacking cover. Okay, actually there was some cover but I got shot in the back so often that it was kind of annoying. I'd recommend placing a few more of the crates on the platforms.
Like Mav said I think that this map loses some of it potential because you're not using the upper level part. Not sure if separating it to another mode is the best choice. Personally, I love when maps take place on several height levels and I think your map is just perfectly suited for that. (You could even add more levels here; why not making certain parts accessible, for example here, or even give the player the possibility to walk over some of the branches). The map seems to focus on the perfectly arranged CPs but maybe you want to consider sacrificing them to an asymmetrical layout to get the heights involved. There are those lovely fireplaces up there creating a nearly romantic campfire atmosphere.

And the ugly:
Found two floaters here and here. Plus, I'd recommend placing the sniper hint nodes at the edges of the top platform, because centralized like this looks a little awkward. Aaaand you need a radar map:)

All in all the map is in a very solid state for a beta, the matches were quite fun already.
If I may suggest one more thing at the end: Add more modes to your map for the final release, the layout offers great possibilities. 1-flag CTF, 2-flag CTF, Holocron, HQ (sry, couldn't resist;)), Free for all, King of the hill...
yuke5
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by yuke5 »

Locutus wrote: The bad:
For my taste the map was lacking cover. Okay, actually there was some cover but I got shot in the back so often that it was kind of annoying. I'd recommend placing a few more of the crates on the platforms.
Yeah, I can do that for sure. I guess I'm just a little too used to how the map flows, so it doesn't happen to me too often. I'll add more cover, I do think the map could use more.
Locutus wrote: Like Mav said I think that this map loses some of it potential because you're not using the upper level part. Not sure if separating it to another mode is the best choice. Personally, I love when maps take place on several height levels and I think your map is just perfectly suited for that. (You could even add more levels here; why not making certain parts accessible, for example here, or even give the player the possibility to walk over some of the branches). The map seems to focus on the perfectly arranged CPs but maybe you want to consider sacrificing them to an asymmetrical layout to get the heights involved. There are those lovely fireplaces up there creating a nearly romantic campfire atmosphere.
Some of the areas may look nice, but they aren't accessible due to AI planning overlap and the fact that I can't really add any whole levels higher than the map already is without losing some of the atmosphere. However, I can add access to more areas in the elevated village, and I could expand the other elevated "abandoned" area as well. I'm not sure if I could plan AI to move along branches though. :(
Hidden/Spoiler:
However, I'm considering adding a sort of a stealth segment in a potential campaign mode, so you see that as an option.
I could add some more cps in conquest mode, but I'll consider that once I've expanded the elevated areas. I do plan to put cps there for CTF and other gamemodes.
Locutus wrote: And the ugly:
Found two floaters here and here. Plus, I'd recommend placing the sniper hint nodes at the edges of the top platform, because centralized like this looks a little awkward. Aaaand you need a radar map:)
Oh wow, thanks for pointing all that out. Thanks for taking pictures of everything, it makes things more convenient for me. I'll make sure to fix all of the floating objects, and I'll move the hintnodes; I didn't place them as carefully as I should have.

I'll get to work on the minimap too.
Locutus wrote: All in all the map is in a very solid state for a beta, the matches were quite fun already.
If I may suggest one more thing at the end: Add more modes to your map for the final release, the layout offers great possibilities. 1-flag CTF, 2-flag CTF, Holocron, HQ (sry, couldn't resist;)), Free for all, King of the hill...
I plan to add more gamemodes, CTF especially. I'll think about Holocron and HQ, I just don't know how well or easily I can implement them. I have a couple of deathmatch gamemodes planned. I'm also considering a Hunt gamemode, and maybe even a wave gamemode.

Thanks a lot of all your feedback, I really appreciate it.
MikeTheBeast55 wrote:I loved this map a lot but for some odd reason the map crashed when I tried to launch GCW Era, all the other ones were fine. But other then that I did not see any AI running into barriers so good job.
That's strange. Does it work if you run SWBFII and make GCW conquest the only map/mode in the que?
CressAlbane
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: CTF Arenas
Games I'm Playing :: Steam- cressalbane2

Post by CressAlbane »

Downloading, but the feedback will be here on Saturday at the earliest. Loved the previous iteration of this map; I'm sure it's even better than before!
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Post by Anakin »

just tested the map. it's really fun to play. But a minimap would be very usefull for the first time :D
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: The Sith Wars II

Post by Kingpin »

Lovely map. Like everyone else as said, the only thing i'd recommend is using the elevated area. And, to avoid the path overlaps, just bung a command post up there and let the bots roam around. They will fight, as long as the two CPs are close enough.

Also, am I the only one who is getting a texture glitch, as the water is red? o_0

Otherwise, great map.I had tried making something like this a while back, but it came out too much like a city. Great job!
yuke5
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by yuke5 »

Kingpin wrote: Also, am I the only one who is getting a texture glitch, as the water is red? o_0
Oh my. I just set my water settings to "low" and it's red on my end too. I though I had quashed this bug, but I guess it's back again. I'll get on it.

@Anakin

I'm working on a minimap. I'm waiting until the map is done so the layout is final.
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: The Sith Wars II

Post by Kingpin »

yuke5 wrote:
Kingpin wrote: Also, am I the only one who is getting a texture glitch, as the water is red? o_0
Oh my. I just set my water settings to "low" and it's red on my end too. I though I had quashed this bug, but I guess it's back again. I'll get on it.
That is weird. For my two maps I made, the water quality has to be on low for it to show the new texture. This is very interesting *rubs chin*