Spacefall v1.0

New maps and mods are coming out quickly. If you release something (even a beta) please post it here. Be sure to give details in the topic such as Map/Mod name and version

Moderator: Moderators

razac920
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Spacefall v1.0

Post by razac920 »

This is my first actual "map", since I've only released scripting mods before. It's a rather simple design: have teams of jump-jet soldiers fight as they fall in a purely vertical map. More specifically, elite ARC troopers and jet droids battle in outer space, just above Mustafar. When they reach the bottom of the map, they fall through a portal and reappear at the top of the map once more (or they miss the portal and die). For fun, the area is filled with asteroids that can kill you if you land on them hard enough. An important feature is that they don't all fall at the same rate (with jump jets on, that is), so the distance between units is never constant. The teams are completely customized, and there are even several new scripted weapons such as rotation, corrupt/reprogram, and team teleport.

IMPORTANT:
- This map is singleplayer XL only.

Download link: http://www.moddb.com/members/razac920/addons/spacefall

Screenshots:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Gameplay videos:
Video 1
Video 2

Installation Instructions:
copy SPF to your Star Wars Battlefront II/GameData/addon folder (if it's not there, create it first)

To uninstall just remove SPF from your addon folder.

Bugs:
The sniper may be rotated while teleporting to the top of the map
Team teleport can cause a crash

If you find any more bugs, or have any comments or questions, feel free to contact me at smithd920@gmail.com

Credits:
Pandemic and LucasArts
Steven Price and WaterTower Music for Gravity soundtrack
Marth880 for help with lighting, sounds, and effects
Skyhammer_216 and Deviss for Jet Droid model
BFX team for Electrostaff and Seismic charge
Testers:
- Marth880
- PRECISION
- Kingpin
- KeepAmazinn
- MileHighGuy
everyone else who's helped me at Gametoast Forums

Permissions:
Anyone can do whatever they want with this, so long as credit is given.
Last edited by razac920 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:49 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: The Sith Wars II

Re: Spacefall v1.0

Post by Kingpin »

Awesome! I was wondering when this would be released. Good job!
ec10125
Games I'm Playing :: Skyrim Borderlands

Post by ec10125 »

This looks very unique. I'm going to try it out right now.

EDIT 2/12 9:58PM: This Is unique. Hell, I'd call it a must have just because of how cool it is. I really liked things like the Sniper's rotation control. That was really interesting to use. I'm not done testing, so I might have more to post later.
Last edited by ec10125 on Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Engineering Degree

Post by jedimoose32 »

Praise the science! It's out!

Will download as soon as I get home. :thumbs:
DarthHideous
Recruit Womprat Killer
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: StarWarsBattlefront2
xbox live or psn: Its Mythology

Post by DarthHideous »

I enjoyed this mod thoroughly and after many hours of gameplay have decided to post my review. My two favorite tactics in the game were targeting droids mid-air with an elite ARC trooper wielding a double sided saber swooping in from above and dodging asteroids whilst encountering the target for the kill or simply using the team teleport feature just because it's awesome to see one hundred or so clones or droids flying using jetpacks in a mass colony. As stated in your ReadMe there was one CTD using this feature, but it's not a big deal in my opinion because this mod has so many more pros than cons. In itself, you've created an entirely new concept of gameplay in SWBF2 using gravity. It's pace is intense (not to mention that the music adds to this effect and fits greatly) and the environment is horrifying in a sense that you're plummeting vertically in the middle of an asteroid field while encountering Mustafar's atmosphere, dueling it out to the death. I was a little confused with the purpose of the reprogram feature and didn't notice any outcome when using it and also wasn't too sure if the orbital strike had worked correctly after many attempts unless the long purple vertical beams in the sky were in fact the result of it? It's extremely difficult, if at all possible, to kill a target with a guided rocket before getting killed seconds after launching it, but relatively easy to kill one using a regular rocket launcher assisted with the targeting system. I don't believe the secondary weapon (bubble shield) works for the double sided saber wielding clones and droids too. The graphics, lighting, textures, etc. in the environment are fantastic and very well done. Regarding recommendations, I found the idea of the portals quite creative but really didn't care for them visually. Out of consideration, maybe you could change them into looking like black holes or tweak them up to look like they have a spiraling vortex motion to give the user the feeling like they are being "sucked" towards the portal (or change them into burning rings of fire so you feel like you "fell into a burning ring of fire" :P ). Dumb joke set aside, I noticed pieces of ship debris apart from asteroids, but maybe the background could use a couple of primary ships or in fact one that is broken apart into huge pieces while secondary fighters fly around in the back just to spice it up a little and give the user the feeling like their ship had just blown up and they are now plummeting towards Mustafar. If there was any possibility of making this online-compatible that would be awesome. Overall it is a fantastic mod and adds something very new to the battlefront. Well done trooper, 8/10. :thumbs:
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by jedimoose32 »

Holy, that's quite the review. Welcome to GT by the way. :)
DarthHideous
Recruit Womprat Killer
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: StarWarsBattlefront2
xbox live or psn: Its Mythology

Post by DarthHideous »

jedimoose32 wrote:Holy, that's quite the review. Welcome to GT by the way. :)
Thanks! :D I really dig this SWBF2 mod community, it's great to see that the game is still going strong after all these years.
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith
Projects :: PS2+PSP Overhaul

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

There is not a lot of mods that I download but keep, this is one of them.

The idea of this map is beyond anything I ever expected to see in a Battlefront 2 mod.
It's very unique.

I will report a few bugs and suggestions that you may use if you make a revision.

1) Snipers on the upper body of the clones seems to visually disappear if zoomed in too long, or rotated too much. I think it's a lighting bug - if you bug/glitch in stock Death Star, things disappear like objects and characters based on how you're facing lights or the sun.

2) The remote time bombs are really cool, the sounds from the EPII chase for the bombs are really cool.
How ever, if someone is close to the bomb when it goes off, they will be falling permanently without control.
They cannot retap the fuel to fly, the only way out is to die or respawn. Even teleporting back to the top cannot fix the falling/lay flat animation. I don't know if this part was intentional but can be fixed by adding RecoverFromTumble=1 in the odf.

I also admire the lock on rockets, this is something I always thought was cool but usually ends over powered. In this mod the rocket lock is fair because of all the obstacles blocking a clean shot.
razac920
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Post by razac920 »

@Kingpin, thank you!

@ec10125, yeah, me too! It might be fun to use that kind of rotation to make a fun paratrooper/ODST mod.

@jedimoose32, so what do you think of it?

@DarthHideous, same, I usually play mostly as the double-lightsaber clone. As for the team teleport CTD, it MIGHT be possible to fix by reducing the number of AI, but for such a large map I wouldn't want to do that much. As for reprogram/corrupt, it is supposed to convert an enemy to your team (at least until death). It is difficult to get close enough to use it, though. It won't directly hurt the enemy, but they should stop shooting at you and turn on their allies. As for orbital strike and guided rockets, those weapons are nearly impossible to use, and perhaps I shouldn't have included. Yes, the long purple vertical beams in the sky are from orbital strike if you manage to hit an enemy with the beacon (unfortunately the beacon doesn't stick to asteroids). As for the double sided saber wielding clones and droids, I added a secondary weapon just to make it clear that those classes have a shield (since a shield HUD is the same as a jetpack HUD) -- in fact the secondary weapon does nothing, the shields are always active, but there is no bubble effect. As for the portals, I personally do like the look of them, and wouldn't want to change them. Plus, I don't know how to make new models like that (what does a black hole look like?), -- Marth880 made the portals for me. Yeah, I did put in a bit of ship debris, and I suppose I could add more of that, though I didn't think the map needed it. Lastly, it IS possible to make the map online-compatible, but you have to throttle the AI counts until there is no battle to fight, so it's not fun. Maybe at some point I could make a much smaller spacefall-ish map for online play.

@anthonybf2, huh, I never noticed any kind of body disappearing, but generally rotation can be somewhat buggy. I really liked the remote time bombs too -- you'd have to thank Marth880 for setting up the sound effects, though. As for the laying flat bug, I never noticed that either! How does one get close enough to the bomb to be pushed but not die? I don't think the push radius is any bigger?
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by jedimoose32 »

razac920 wrote:@jedimoose32, so what do you think of it?
I had a lot of fun with it. It's a very novel idea and I think it was well-executed. This one of the few maps where it's totally fine to have tons of different classes on each side because there are so many different ways that someone can play the map.

I didn't play it hard enough to be able to uncover any bugs. The only improvements I would suggest is either adding more AI or making the playable area a little smaller (in the x and z axes). I found there were a number of times when I had a fairly hard time finding someone to shoot at, and once I did find someone they were half a galaxy away. Maybe I'm just a n00b.

Overall I had a lot of fun with it. Good work!