Pirates of the Caribbean Mod [Version 1.1]

New maps and mods are coming out quickly. If you release something (even a beta) please post it here. Be sure to give details in the topic such as Map/Mod name and version

Moderator: Moderators

thelegend
Sith
Sith
Projects :: Star Wars - Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf GTA CoD LoL KH
xbox live or psn: El_Fabricio#

Pirates of the Caribbean Mod [Version 1.1]

Post by thelegend »

Hey all,
I know was finally able to upload this mod. There are just 2 maps with a lot of characters. The main sides are the Crew of the Black Pearl and the Crew of the Flying Dutchman. All models are modeled by me. The most textures are from cgtextures and cgskies.
There are a lot of animations and effects, sounds and more. I really hope you like these maps. The only weird bugs are that the Ai is mostly stupid. Some are standing around (Maelstrom) or form groups on some places (Isla Cruces). But the duell mode has great AI. The maps can also be played online. I would recommend playing the duel mode with a friend. But then you need to turn of the AI.

Trailer1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBHFxcVO79E
Trailer2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFYfDolVir0

Dropbox Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ghasucbwahdy2 ... 5D.7z?dl=0

I hope you like the maps.
Best Greetins.
Last edited by thelegend on Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith
Projects :: PS2+PSP Overhaul

Re: Pirates of the Caribbean Mod

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

This mod is very nice, all custom characters and assets are very well made.

But in game play, it feels lacking. All troops have 1 weapon, and it seems basically the same character repeated with new skins. There feels no point to study each character because it feels the same for all of them.

The duel mode was better, but the health limits are a bit much and it got a bit dull after 2 or 3 minutes.

I think this mod is nice because the time it takes to make all the nice things, but game play lacks.
I recommend this mod for those who enjoy the whole "no force" settings. :yes:
Sketchup
Recruit Womprat Killer
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Sketchup »

This mod would be perfect if not for the slowed dash speed and the unnecessary removal of dash attacks.
razac920
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Post by razac920 »

I agree with anthonybf2. I really like the models and sides, but the combat gets old very quickly. Maybe it'd help if you gave the different characters different sword combos? Or secondary weapons such a pistol could be fun :). Also, I may have discovered a bug. I noticed that when I tried out the duel mode, it was me vs 5 bots simultaneously. Not exactly fair. I assume you wanted a 1 on 1 fight, so you should make the bot count be independent of the settings that players select.
MikeTheBeast55
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: N.A.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF1 SWBF2 LOTR
xbox live or psn: MikeTheeBeast55

Post by MikeTheBeast55 »

Well I just got done playing in both modes (Duel and Battle Modes) on both maps and I really did like the Isla Cruces Duel Mode the best but I kind of wish you had James Norrington on the wheel. I think it would have been an even more intense battle but nevertheless it was enjoyable! On the Maelstrom map, the Duel Mode on their was great and spot on since it was only Davy Jones and Jack Sparrow. The Battle modes were "iffy" since as you did mention the sides kind of just ball up on each other on opposite sides of the map which did make it easier for them to find but killing them was a completely different story since luring a few of them away would have worked but then I got the full brunt of the attack. Also I think adding a pistol could have helped the pirates in the Battle Mode but that is just a suggestion by other people and me in case you go back and change it! The Maelstrom map was good but I feel you made the ships too small (not way too small) and the reason I say this is because it seems literally all the Pirates and the Dutchmen Crew were just standing there waiting to be killed and throughout my whole experience on that map I did not feel threatened really since as I said they stood and waited. I also kind of wish you added a third map with a Port Royal/Tortuga type of map with buildings and everything and sides like the British Soldiers with their swords and muskets and Pirates with their swords and pistols. All in all I did enjoy this mod and you did put a lot of effort in which I admire BUT if there were a way to move those AI around better than the maps would have been a little more fast paced instead of slow paced since it took me probably a good 20 minutes (might be exaggerating on that) to do each one of them on Battle Mode. On Duel Mode It took no more than three to five minutes which I like and enjoy at the same time. Still I applaud your efforts on everything and will definitely be keeping this in my archive of maps and will patiently wait for your next big map idea!

~Mike
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Engineering Degree

Post by jedimoose32 »

I agree with pretty much everything that Mike, razac, and anthony have said so far. I played each map on both modes, and here are my thoughts...

Things I liked:
- The idea itself; I mean... it's Battlefront 2... but with PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN!! :runaway:
- The concept and map layout of duel mode; it's really fun to try and fight someone while balancing on a rolling waterwheel, or on the spar.
- The maelstrom made me dizzy in the best possible way.
- The variety of different character models (the Dutchman crew and the 'good guys', e.g. Will, Jack, Gibbs)

Areas of improvement:
- Slightly less health or higher damage in duel mode... by the end of each duel I was definitely more than eager to move on to the next mission
- In duel mode on the Flying Dutchman, I think it would be more fitting to have this kind of music going on instead of Jack's theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... gZPUs#t=69
- More weapon combos!
- Pistols, muskets, and grenades!
- Slightly larger ships on Maelstrom
- Health (and ammo, if you add the new weapons I suggested) recharge stations in battle mode - you could have a lot of fun with it and make the health recharger an open crate with rum bottles, and make the health drops individual bottles of rum. Ammo drops could be bags of musket-balls.
- Consider using one of the custom mode suffixes (instead of _con, use _c1 or something) because after I click on Battle Mode or Duel Mode, when I switch to a normal BF2 map the icon stays the same in the Instant Action screen.

Overall, I loved the idea. I hope you will consider some of the suggestions that I and others have offered, because this really great mod could easily become a total must-have.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

I'm a sucker for neat map tricks, and you used several here. I think you hemmed yourself in with the duel modes, which you made into basically interactive cutscenes, because you forced yourself to adhere directly to what the movie showed. Those become a lot better if the players have some actual movement decisions to make (and, as posters mentioned above, weapons that are much more interactive than what you've got).

You're also cheating your really neat map setups by cheaping out on the textures in places. The flat, mono-wood textures on the boats is tacky, and I saw a few places where you didn't texture the sides of objects and instead just let planar textures stretch over zero-depth UVs.

A+ work on the map as a concept, and you nailed some bits of polish. As a finished product, though, it's not very exciting in the sense of "wanting to play this more than once."
thelegend
Sith
Sith
Projects :: Star Wars - Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf GTA CoD LoL KH
xbox live or psn: El_Fabricio#

Post by thelegend »

First of all: Thanks for all the replies and comments.
anthonybf2 wrote:But in game play, it feels lacking. All troops have 1 weapon, and it seems basically the same character repeated with new skins. There feels no point to study each character because it feels the same for all of them.
Sketchup wrote:This mod would be perfect if not for the slowed dash speed and the unnecessary removal of dash attacks.
razac920 wrote:I agree with anthonybf2. I really like the models and sides, but the combat gets old very quickly. Maybe it'd help if you gave the different characters different sword combos? Or secondary weapons such a pistol could be fun :). Also, I may have discovered a bug. I noticed that when I tried out the duel mode, it was me vs 5 bots simultaneously. Not exactly fair. I assume you wanted a 1 on 1 fight, so you should make the bot count be independent of the settings that players select.
MikeTheBeast55 wrote: Also I think adding a pistol could have helped the pirates in the Battle Mode but that is just a suggestion by other people and me in case you go back and change it! [...] it seems literally all the Pirates and the Dutchmen Crew were just standing there waiting to be killed and throughout my whole experience on that map I did not feel threatened really since as I said they stood and waited.
On Duel Mode It took no more than three to five minutes which I like and enjoy at the same time.
~Mike
jedimoose32 wrote:I agree with pretty much everything that Mike, razac, and anthony have said so far. I played each map on both modes, and here are my thoughts...

Areas of improvement:
- Slightly less health or higher damage in duel mode... by the end of each duel I was definitely more than eager to move on to the next mission
- In duel mode on the Flying Dutchman, I think it would be more fitting to have this kind of music going on instead of Jack's theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... gZPUs#t=69
- More weapon combos!
- Pistols, muskets, and grenades!
- Slightly larger ships on Maelstrom
- Health (and ammo, if you add the new weapons I suggested) recharge stations in battle mode - you could have a lot of fun with it and make the health recharger an open crate with rum bottles, and make the health drops individual bottles of rum. Ammo drops could be bags of musket-balls.
Maveritchell wrote:(and, as posters mentioned above, weapons that are much more interactive than what you've got).

You're also cheating your really neat map setups by cheaping out on the textures in places. The flat, mono-wood textures on the boats is tacky, and I saw a few places where you didn't texture the sides of objects and instead just let planar textures stretch over zero-depth UVs.
I cut out the most parts of the posts I quoted above the following text.
I have made some changes, bug fixes and added more stuff. One important thing in all games and mods is the gameplay. So I decided to let the dash attacks and other stock combos in game. Some characters now have pistols and now the player has the ability to pick up dropped ammo and health.
These and more changes are listed in the readme file.

I am very thankful that the most liked the concept, characters and maps. I sometimes thought this is going to be a total flop such as my GTA mod series. There has been too many bugs and it wasn't really like in GTA.
But after I read all the positive comments and critiques I started to fix the most as I can and tried to improve the gameplay as well as I could. I hope you still like mod and also like the changes I made to all modes.

By the way I was trying to recreate the Kraken Battle but I don't seem to get the whole tentacle animation stuff to work properly in game. Anyway I am still happy that the most work fine as I wanted.

Second Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFYfDolVir0
Downloadlink[Version 1.1]: http://www.mediafire.com/download/cj2do ... eAssets.7z
booperdoo
Private Recruit
Projects :: Fallout power armor and era
Games I'm Playing :: Boop adventure

Re: Pirates of the Caribbean Mod [Version 1.1]

Post by booperdoo »

I am trying to download it but when I go to the link, it puts me at a download for corasaunt madern warfar! :cry:
MikeTheBeast55
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: N.A.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF1 SWBF2 LOTR
xbox live or psn: MikeTheeBeast55

Post by MikeTheBeast55 »

booperdoo wrote:I am trying to download it but when I go to the link, it puts me at a download for corasaunt madern warfar! :cry:
Hey there booper, I have the link for you if you have not found it yet, here you go: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ghasucbwahdy2 ... 5D.7z?dl=0
booperdoo
Private Recruit
Projects :: Fallout power armor and era
Games I'm Playing :: Boop adventure

Post by booperdoo »

MikeTheBeast55 wrote:
booperdoo wrote:I am trying to download it but when I go to the link, it puts me at a download for corasaunt madern warfar! :cry:
Hey there booper, I have the link for you if you have not found it yet, here you go: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ghasucbwahdy2 ... 5D.7z?dl=0
Thanks. Playin it now :)