Assassination Game Mode (Test Map)

New maps and mods are coming out quickly. If you release something (even a beta) please post it here. Be sure to give details in the topic such as Map/Mod name and version

Moderator: Moderators

jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Engineering Degree

Assassination Game Mode (Test Map)

Post by jedimoose32 »

Hi everyone.

I'd like to present the official release of the project I've been chipping away at for the past few months (WIP Thread). Please note that while I would consider the game mode itself to be completed, I am fully aware that the map and units look terrible. Read on for more information about that.

Assassination is a brand new game mode for Battlefront 2 that pits the player, a dangerous assassin, against a well-armed police force tasked with protecting a number of targets that are dispersed in a crowd of civilians.
Detailed description:
Hidden/Spoiler:
The game mode borrows gameplay elements primarily from the Assassin's Creed, Payday, Grand Theft Auto, and Splinter Cell franchises.

Assassination mode pits one player, the Assassin, against a large, heavily-armed Police force. The Assassin's objective is to locate a number of Targets and eliminate them without drawing attention to themselves. The Targets are neutral units - they wander around the map, blissfully unaware of their imminent demise. In order to make the Targets more difficult to locate, and to create a more fun and believable environment, the map is filled with Civilians - friendly units who wander and occasionally gather in small groups. Civilians serve several purposes: they can become meat shields for the Assassin during a heated firefight, they provide shelter for the Targets, and they can be accidentally killed by the Assassin, which invokes a point penalty and, once a certain number of them have died, defeat for the Assassin!

Everyone starts out friendly to the Assassin - however, once he hurts anyone, the Police will become aggressive toward him and the Targets will try to hide. The Assassin must then try to escape the Police. If he evades them for a certain period of time, then he will become anonymous again (Civilians will resume their wandering and Police will go back to patrolling). However, if the Assassin remains detected by the Police for too long, the Police will call in more powerful reinforcements. Once all Targets have been eliminated, the Assassin must reach the extraction point. If he is able to get there in one piece, he wins the game!
Other rules/mechanics worth noting:
  • The player has a certain amount of time to kill each target.
  • If the active target is not killed within the time limit, the next target will spawn and that target will become the active one.
  • Targets not killed within their time limit may still be eliminated later, but the player will only receive half the points they would have received if they were within the limit.
  • Police have radios and semi-realistic line-of-sight, so players should try to plan their take-downs according to how much mayhem they wish to cause.
  • After all of the targets have been eliminated, all of the guards will try to prevent the player from reaching the extraction point.
  • You can adjust the difficulty settings by pressing the Difficulty button at the top of the character selection screen. The difficulty menu can only be accessed before your first spawn.
  • The blue score counter at the top of the HUD displays player points (or Republic credits? :o ) and the red counter displays the number of civilians killed.
  • The player's wanted level is displayed in GTA fashion, through a 5-star system visible at the top-center of the HUD.
If your current line of thinking is anywhere between "heck yes, must DL now" and "eh, I'm bored right now anyway", you can DOWNLOAD the test map here.

If you're feeling unconvinced, that's understandable. My plan for this mod is to add the game mode to a few stock maps as well. And, if you've looked at the WIP thread you already know that the game mode is very easy for other modders to use if you/they want. I'll be putting a link to the nicely-packaged source code and required files HERE once I've organized everything. You might also be asking why I decided to release this now as opposed to later once I've ported the game mode to other maps. The answer is mostly that I'm a fairly restless modder and I have a hard time focusing on one project for long periods of time, so I'm starting a new project and I didn't want to leave this one unreleased, in limbo. I'll be updating this one as required and of course if anyone does end up using the source files in their own maps I am 100% available to provide support/technical advice.

Here are a few pictures, even though there's not much to see... you have to FEEL this mod.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Known bugs:
  • Sometimes if you kill someone with the remote droid, the game will not process that as an elimination.
  • Occasionally the game will stop adding/removing stars when it is supposed to.
  • The game mode icon in the Instant Action screen will change all other Conquest icons to match the custom icon I used. Sorry.
Credits:
Testers: hunpeter12, razac920, Noobasaurus
Technical/Misc: [RDH]Zerted, others at Gametoast, archer01 (indirectly), Nedarb7 (interface stuff!)
Music: Blue Stahli - The Destroyer of All Things (chase music), Nexus Music - Revelation (ambient music)
Pandemic/LucasArts

GL;HF
ARC1778
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Projects :: WARFRONT + Various Mods for Other Games
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2+RC+RTW MTW NTW
xbox live or psn: AlexisVixie

Re: Assassination Game Mode (Test Map)

Post by ARC1778 »

Very interesting, will get this tomorrow!