The old republic side mod

New maps and mods are coming out quickly. If you release something (even a beta) please post it here. Be sure to give details in the topic such as Map/Mod name and version

Moderator: Moderators

ZoomV
Rebel Warrant Officer
Rebel Warrant Officer
Projects :: Old Republic Map pack
Games I'm Playing :: BF2 SWTOR and GW2
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: The old republic side mod

Post by ZoomV »

I'm going to be "that guy"

You ripped models from a mod whose creator had not posted assets, and you did so without the creators blessing. In addition to this you didn't even bother to research the origin of the assets. You then went and posted your mod without so much as a single readme or credits list.

Now in this case there was no real harm done as the models ripped where already publicly available. However the blatant disregard for community conventions is appalling.

Also I'm not trilled at all by the idea of extracting from .lvl files. Such capabilities allows near limitless ability to steal assets. If a modder wanted their stuff to used by others then they would have posted the source files.

/rant
Delta-1035
Sith Master
Sith Master
Projects :: TOR GCWII GCW1035 BF1035
xbox live or psn: Johnny_Sciroppo

Post by Delta-1035 »

ZoomV wrote: You ripped models from a mod whose creator had not posted assets, and you did so without the creators blessing.
Also I'm not trilled at all by the idea of extracting from .lvl files. Such capabilities allows near limitless ability to steal assets. If a modder wanted their stuff to used by others then they would have posted the source files.
Totally agree. I don't want it to become a reality.
Tehdpfan
Private Recruit
Projects :: Maybe some stuff

Post by Tehdpfan »

I'm sorry the models themselves were from a diffent mod, and hidden in the mod,they were completed I just added and got them to work for bf2, this isn't a public release of any sort and was done for personal use, as I said earlier once this is complete I am going to see if I can get the permissions for a public realese. But this isn't going to be done until it is finished, as I would look like an idiot coming to the author saying "hey I have an unfinished side mod which uses assets that you probably didn't know existed in your mod", I plan to get permission but I don't wish to do so until I know what I have done so far will get finished the link I have posted is only for the use of those who can help me finish it and get permissions as a person who has done mods for other games stealing assets is the last thing I want to do.
MikeTheBeast55
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: N.A.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF1 SWBF2 LOTR
xbox live or psn: MikeTheeBeast55

Post by MikeTheBeast55 »

Tehdpfan wrote:I'm sorry the models themselves were from a diffent mod, and hidden in the mod,they were completed I just added and got them to work for bf2, this isn't a public release of any sort and was done for personal use, as I said earlier once this is complete I am going to see if I can get the permissions for a public realese.
If you wanted to simply release the assets to this then you should get permission from the modder who made these and once you get the okay from them (if you ever do) then release it in the "Released Assets" section of this website. As you know this is the Released Map/Mod section, when you release something here the mod/map normally is completed so if this is not a "public release" then why is this released under here?
Tehdpfan
Private Recruit

Post by Tehdpfan »

I accidentally put it here im new to the forum and this seemed like the best choice but i tried to put in released assets but I don't know how to put it there so it's been stuck here sorry I'm really new so its wierd for me
I am also working on getting a hold of the original creator of the swtor mod I finally found a way to message him for permission and assistance.
MikeTheBeast55
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: N.A.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF1 SWBF2 LOTR
xbox live or psn: MikeTheeBeast55

Post by MikeTheBeast55 »

Tehdpfan wrote:I accidentally put it here im new to the forum and this seemed like the best choice but i tried to put in released assets but I don't know how to put it there.
It is definitely understandable if you put this in the wrong section of the forum. Normally I would suggest asking an Administator to move this to the "Released Assets" forum but as ZoomV pointed out above, I am pretty sure this can not be done unless the person gave you the permission to release their asset (definitely add a readme just as a courtesy). Not sure what will happen to this forum, maybe the staff will cut you some slack.
Tehdpfan
Private Recruit

Post by Tehdpfan »

Yeah I'm working on permissions now as the lvl file itself cannot be modified at least not by me so the assets other than the rep lvl are unsusable, the only thing that was taken from the mod itself was the rep lvl it was just the single file so most of the data is unusable unless you are an expert with mod tools and even then you cant keep the assets
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

If this is a side mod then it is in the right place and we'll just leave it here. Though more information about this mod would be helpful to those that download it, maybe some screenshots and a readme with credits and instructions.
Since you didn't acquire permission from the author maybe you should pull the link down until you get it all sorted out, or I can do it for you. :)
Tehdpfan
Private Recruit

Post by Tehdpfan »

Um yes that would be great I had the link up as somone who said they could help needed the link so they could help fix it as I can't so yeah if you could remove it that would be great I will be away for a couple of days so a read me and screenshots will be impossible for me but once I get permissions and somone to help me finish it then I can get this back up, if that happens