Duro: Orbital City 2.0 (new release)

New maps and mods are coming out quickly. If you release something (even a beta) please post it here. Be sure to give details in the topic such as Map/Mod name and version

Moderator: Moderators

Dasher
Private Third Class
Projects :: Loronar Jade Moon
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Duro: Orbital City 2.0 (new release)

Post by Dasher »

I'm glad to say the 1.0 version of my map has finally been finished. I added space ships and custom sides, however this is not the final version as I'm still working on the sides. Since the flyer splines required extra adaptions in terms of ships the mod is only properly working with the sides that come with the map and so there's no era mod support whatsoever. Might work on a solution though... anyways, any feedback is appreciated.

1.0 Version
Hidden/Spoiler:
2.0 Version
Hidden/Spoiler:
I was finally able to release the second version of Duro: Orbital City, it took me a while but I'm glad to say this version beats the first one.

Changes:

- I increased the size of the city and added more CPs. I tried to balance it as good as possible
- I iterated the sides
- I increased the amount of ships taking part in the space battles
- ships are spawning more frequently now
- the auto turrets aren't as much of an annoyance anymore as they used to be, the real challenge is now the amount of enemy ships :runaway:

Issues:
-some objects flicker, I reckon this is due to the vast amount of objects on the map, I've tried to find a solution, but familiar problem's posted on here didn't really get me any further, my objects do have lowrez models and I tried to reduce the poly count as much as possible
- the map seems to crash when playing it online/lan, which may be a LUA related issue

Screenshots:
Last edited by Dasher on Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timelow
Recruit Womprat Killer
Projects :: No Mod project currently.

Re: Duro: Orbital City 1.0

Post by timelow »

Wow I don't think I've ever felt so conflicted about a map before. There's so much here that I just absolutely love; your feel for aesthetics is just brilliant man. Right off the bat I love the simplified color palettes of the sides. It immerses me so much more when the units conform to some kind of theme or common uniform, and I think it goes really well with the subdued colors of the station.

Also, the station is great! Feels super real with the lounges and the garage/workshop/industrial areas. It feels a lot like some kind of commercial enterprise; like a fuel depot or whatever. It's like something a car dealership would create, except in space. That's pretty great imo, but it brings me to my first issue.

It's too small dude. It's supposed to be a city, yeah? Kinda like the stuff they had orbiting Bespin? I so desperately want to see this on a larger scale; like Cloud City size. You have a phenomenal eye for detail that feels kinda restrained here. Expanding the size of the platform would also help with my biggest, largest, fattest, whiniest complaint: Rounds are too short. Seriously I think I played through the map like 4 times in 20 minutes. It was getting a little stressful because I wanted to explore and immerse myself, but I kept accidentally capturing too many CPs and ending the map. I actually yelled some expletives at my TV a couple times because I was mid-exploration when the countdown ticker started. :(

Anyway the space battle stuff is neat, but the auto turrets were infuriating beyond belief. Move the ships back a little man, I dunno. I was really digging the Tie hangers and stuff, but the sense of wonder was killed the moment I left the hanger and immediately started getting hammered by lasers. Everything feels a bit too tight/compacted in general. Maybe I'm just claustrophobic idk.

My last little complaint is the ammo. I want ammo. I don't know why the infinite ammo/cooldown system is so popular in mods but it seriously bothers me at a neurological level when I can't reload a gun. I really feel like it takes away from the feel and tactics of the game tbh. The risk of running out of ammo mid-fight adds so much to the game for me. With the cooldown system it feels like the game is punishing me for clicking too much. Breaks my immersion every time.

To summarize my post:
I like your map so much that I'm frustrated that I can't have more of it. I think you have a pretty cool vision in your head of what you want this map to be, and you should totally just pursue that. Literally all of my complaints are just my own personal preferences, so you can totally ignore them and still have a great map. Keep up the good work man, I'll be looking forward to the next version.
Dasher
Private Third Class

Post by Dasher »

First of all thank you for this elaborate summary of your playing experience :D

to get to your first point, I didn't want to create "yet another bespin" since there are so many good bespin maps out there including Bespin: Escape, that scaling the platform up would not only remind the players of bespin immediately, which is the case anyway to some extend, but it would also change a certain aspect of the map, which gets me to your second point: the gameplay.
Now I know that some people have a harder time playing and some are more skilled, however I created this map so I could have a couple of quick rounds inbetween working. That was the original inspiration for it's small scale. Nothing wrong with huge maps, but the game "the stanley parable" kind of inspired me to create a level that can end in as much as 2 minutes and that is never the same, or to put it in your words, a level which doesn't leave you with enough time to explore it in one round. Talking about exploring...easiest way to to that would be in a fighter, right? If it wasn't for those annoying turrets....
One reason why I placed everything so close together was the shipped space battles. You could sometimes fly for what felt like hours without having a single shot being fired at you. That is why I thought it'd be nice to take the player's stress level up a notch and really make it a challenge to stay alive in your tie/xwing.
Your last point is understandable and I'll just take it at face value, if there are more people who want the ol' reliable ammo I might consider changing that.

Anyways, glad you like (most of) it :yes:
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith
Projects :: PS2+PSP Overhaul

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

The map is great, custom objects, custom characters. Top notch.

I did find out that standing under the lifts results in being glitched under the objects which allows the player to kill and capture CPs without being threatened.
Hidden/Spoiler:
MikeTheBeast55
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: N.A.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF1 SWBF2 LOTR
xbox live or psn: MikeTheeBeast55

Post by MikeTheBeast55 »

Awesome! Glad you have been adding lots of new custom assets to this map especially the space assault above the city. Only question I have though is was it intentional to put the city in the middle of space? Seems kind of odd since it is located on the ground of the planet. Anyways I hope you make a Version 2.0 of this map with the city being 3 times as bigger than it currently is!
Dasher
Private Third Class

Post by Dasher »

Yes :yes: this was my inspiration : http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Duro/Legends

Cheers for the feedback, I'm planning on really adapting all proposals I got so far, or at least see how they change the map
Delta327
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Projects :: Shattered Galaxy
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf2

Post by Delta327 »

looking good so far.