Yavin 4: Arena (beta v0.975) -- New version March 20, 06

New maps and mods are coming out quickly. If you release something (even a beta) please post it here. Be sure to give details in the topic such as Map/Mod name and version

Moderator: Moderators

If I added Plo Koon, who should he replace in Hero Assault?

Princess Leia
56%
Chewbacca
16%
Ki-Adi Mundi
9%
Aayla Secura
9%
Mace Windu
5%
Obi-Wan Kenobi
5%

Total votes: 64
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

I removed the one here at Gametoast. You could searching for it at filefront.
squipple
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by squipple »

A few items that you've heard before:

- Multiplayer now crashes immediately no matter what. Before it let the host play, but would crash whoever joined. Now it just crashes immediately for the host too. Single player works fine. I wish there were an easy way to troubleshoot this, because it happens on other maps too. The only way I can think is to remove things one at a time, but that's far from efficient.
- I know you hate hearing this from me, but that terrrain is still really dark. :)

Those're the only two issues I have with the map thus far, the rest is great!
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

You'll have to be more specific about the multiplayer stuff. Are you joining via a LAN, and if not, do both users have v.975? Were any side mods installed on either computer?

I like the way the terrain is. It fits the atmosphere well. Plus I don't want to re light everything over with multiple lights to get things perfect.

I know folks will hate me for this -- I'll try to debug multiplayer, but honestly it's not a big deal for me if it doesn't work.
squipple
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by squipple »

I'm not joining the map, I'm attempting to host multiplayer internet. I haven't tested LAN on any of these. I add that map to the list (in any mode or era) and launch, and the game crashes right after the loading bar is done..as the spawn screan would be popping up.

I know you're the one converting the map and all, but just as you were advocating for people adding in CTF to their maps for maximum playability, I'm advocating that multiplayer works for these as well for the same reason. Like I said before, 95% or more of my gameplay in BF2 is multiplayer. The only time I play singleplayer is when I'm testing these betas :)

I know I don't speak for you who run GT or it's community as a whole, but if I was joe blo and I downloaded a mappack from GT, based on the quality people that are here developing these maps, I'd expect all modes (single and multi) to run rock solid on every map. All of you guys are doing great at these maps, I'd just like to see a professional finish on em.
Just my 2¢.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

I'm not knocking the idea of multiplayer, but since I have no possible idea where to start, I have no idea how to fix it. So that leaves me with a 'ah who cares anyways' attitude.

I'd love to see these all work. I just have no idea how to do so.

It's strange that it doesn't work for you. I've done a demo host on all of my maps and never had a crash in MP that didn't occur in SP.
squipple
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by squipple »

Yeah that is wierd. But it's not just me. I've had two other friends host (both with deiffernt video cards (and computers obviously) than me, and no mods installed and maps crash for them too.
I've got a Geforce 6600GT 128mb, friends have a Radeon X800 256mb and a Radeon 9550 256mb
The Platforms map is another that does the same thing.

Maybe one place to start is the PAN devs. Maybe they know of some common things that they may have run into that cause this. If you need somebody to test, I'll be more than happy to test some things if you find anything out.

What kind of video card do you have?
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

I'm currently running a beta test server for online play. Join Yavin4Test after you have downloaded beta .975 from the first post.
sh4d0wl0rd

Post by sh4d0wl0rd »

I recently played on this server and the game didn't crash! Even when the map was loaded!
But I didn't play very long since the server latency is extremely bad.
Epena
Old School Staff

Post by Epena »

I played on it, too. I played an entire round and I was fine... In fact, I even got satisfactory results.

84 kills, 3 deaths. :P

Next to no lag at all.
squipple
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by squipple »

@ sh4d0wl0rd, have you tried hosting this map? Just set up a multiplayer with a yavin 4: arena map and try to run it, see what happens.

@ teancum, nice idea. I just had a friend (who has the host crashing issue) try out the server, and he was able to join and play with no problem. I'll update this post with his full results in a bit..I remember being able to host a few versions back, but then users would crash when the next map loaded, so I'm having him play a few rounds. I'll test it tonight. I'm thinking about possible things I could be doing different or wrong on my end, but I've got other friends with the same issue and different setups.
What are the settings on your Yavin4Test hosted game?
Epena
Old School Staff

Post by Epena »

Well, it's a dedicated server. That might be why it works.
sh4d0wl0rd

Post by sh4d0wl0rd »

@squipple: I hosted the previous version of this map with the normal "ingame server". First it crashed but than I restarted it and it worked. But I didn't try it with the current version yet.

But unfortunately I have to say that the game doesn't run that stable on my PC. It sometimes crashed, especially when playing mod maps. I sometimes have to start a mod map twice before it works :(
Epena
Old School Staff

Post by Epena »

Unusual. BF2 has only crashed when playing online for me, and most of the time, with mod maps.

The only exception is mod maps in Instant action. Sometimes, when I over-write an older version it crashes...but as soon as I delete the old folder and re-download it works.
Jessicka

Post by Jessicka »

I run a dedicated multiplayer server for a few games, this one runs fine once it starts. Sometimes on rare occasion this map will crash right after it loads. Other than that, it works okay.

I've seen a few user created maps crash on start too though or have seen people join the server, crash as soon as they enter, then reconnect and seem to be fine.

Post by Guest »

Teancum
How new heroes you planning add?
squipple
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by squipple »

@ Epena - good idea! I HAVE been just overwriting my folders. Perhaps it's some old files that aren't getting overwritten or something. I'll try deleting and re-extracting the latest zip to my folder. Thanks for that troubleshooting tip. I never even thought of that.

@sh4d0wl0rd - Yeah, mine runs rock solid with the shipped maps, but the little tidbit Epena mentioned may fix the addons.

@ Teancum - Friend joined and played a few rounds no problem, so it must only be an issue with the hosting; at least, on this map. I'll be testing it on a few machines tonight. If it is indeed what Epena mentioned, I'll be expressing my embarassment along with a humble apology for going through all this. :lol: At least we're figuring out the issue and can let other people know who have crashing problems.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

@ JK514 --- No more new heroes, sorry. All the slots are full.

@ Squipple --- I ran a dedicated server, that's why it worked for me.

Hopefully someone stumbles across why it works in dedicated but not as a local hosting. If so I'll fix it. If not, I think it's okay since you can run a ded server now.
squipple
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by squipple »

It WAS Epena's suggestion. It would be a good idea to sticky something for that in this forum. When 'updating' your maps, DELETE the old folder and 're-install' it instead of just extracting the new version to your addon dir and hitting 'replace all'. This is what all my cohorts were doing as well, so all is good now, Tean. Yavin works great in multiplayer. I'm going to try it with platforms now too, but I'm guessing that's the same issue there.

And, just for troubleshooting purposes, I tried setting up a ded server BEFORE I tried Epena's suggestion, and had a friend try to join, and they crashed (but mine didn't).

So, as I mentioned, it is kind of an embarrasing thing, but my friends had done the same thing without any prompting to do so, so I'm imagining this might be happening to a lot of folks.

Thanks again for putting in the time to troubleshoot this, Teancum, and thanks Epena for coming up with the solution! :)
Delta_57_Dash
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Delta_57_Dash »

hmmm... I say take out obi wan and put plo kloon in....
Lord-Bandu

Post by Lord-Bandu »

I joined the server but no-one was there :(

Nice conversion BTW :D