Alderaan Beta (VERSION .99 RELEASED; March 18th, 2006)

New maps and mods are coming out quickly. If you release something (even a beta) please post it here. Be sure to give details in the topic such as Map/Mod name and version

Moderator: Moderators

Schizo

Post by Schizo »

Aha. I forgot about that. Thanks for the heads-up. Too bad I can't edit the amount of bots though. I remember the original Alderaan for BF1 had about 50 bots. Unfortunately, I can't really change it.

But, I've just added a bit of buildings and such to the map. It's a little more like a city now. I'm working on getting it ready for another .95 beta release, so then I can get feedback for it and release the final version.
Epena
Old School Staff
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Epena »

Errrr...yes you can change the bots on field at a time...

Or at least it seems that way. I haven't tested it yet, though. Lemme know if this line works.
SetupTeams{
rep = {
team = REP,
units = 20,
reinforcements = 300,
If it doesn't adjust that, then what?
Y2g2006

Post by Y2g2006 »

The map is fine. It obviously favors snipers though because of the wide open space. I'm unsure as to whether that was your aim or not.

I seemed to fair better as a sniper at least. Probably would've done a little worse if I was a ground troop, but you can still win playing for either side (despite what others say).
dreadlordnyax

Post by dreadlordnyax »

cool map, although its so open it feels like i'm constantly being shot. i agree with epena, the alleyway alderaan map sound good! :D
o yeah, and once i unlocked the arc captain, i snuck around on the top of the walkways to the cis's back cp, and the map was over before i knew it. dont know if thats a good or a bad thing, just thought i'd point it out.
Epena
Old School Staff

Post by Epena »

Hehe.

I just played it a few more times and have developed a working strategy. Now the map is pretty easy. The sad thing about that, then, is that it holds few more suprises. Another reason why alley maps are better. :P
2LT10160

Post by 2LT10160 »

OMG... its about time that the RED ARC trooper was put in... not only that, you made him truly BAD A**... cant wait to see what else you do to this map.
Last edited by 2LT10160 on Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

2LT1060 -- swearing is not allowed here. Please read the rules in the forum index.
sawyerdk9

Post by sawyerdk9 »

I like this Alderaan better than your other two. The action is pretty intense and runs smoothly. You should just add some craters and some props to make it look more realistic. Maybe a couple buildings
Rpe7

Post by Rpe7 »

That Arc commander is SO good !!! Good map for snipers (my favourite class) + my favourite unit :D His gun is really Funny, went rolling over the floor laughing when I was shooting those Battledroids up !!!
Nice Work !!!
BF2-Master
Captain
Captain

Post by BF2-Master »

I like the map, but I can't win on Republic. I cannot get enough points for the Jet-trooper or ARC captain. Could you change the starting cammand posts so I don't need to spend the entire battle running to the cis posts and then dying immediatly? (no offense)
Schizo

Post by Schizo »

Well, that's the main point of this map. You need to be skillful, and use strategy. You can't just rush in and wipe out all the bots and take over the whole map like you may regularly do with the official maps. This one, it's an ongoing struggle for control, and you've got to outwit your enemies. I, myself, have never lost a match playing as Republic yet. I've won quite a few times as the CIS as well. The map is balanced, but you also need to use strategy too.
Y2g2006

Post by Y2g2006 »

BF2-Master wrote:I like the map, but I can't win on Republic. I cannot get enough points for the Jet-trooper or ARC captain. Could you change the starting cammand posts so I don't need to spend the entire battle running to the cis posts and then dying immediatly? (no offense)
Snipe...

And no offense, but the map isn't nearly as hard as you're making it out to be.

The layout of the map is fine. Especially considering the fact that the ARC Trooper in itself is unbalanced enough to change the tide of the game in a matter of seconds.
Schizo

Post by Schizo »

If you ask me, the ARC Captain isn't all that mighty and poweful. Sure, he may be able to take down a droideka in mere seconds, but I tend to die a lot while playing as him. The bots tend to focus on the special units and officers more than they would a normal trooper. Makes it all the more realistic. :)

Though I'm thinking about decreasing the power of the Scatter Rifle and making it weaker, and also making it 20 points to unlock rather than the regular 12.
SWShellhound

Post by SWShellhound »

dont decrease power please i love super scatter rifle
add it to 20 pints that is good
Y2g2006

Post by Y2g2006 »

Schizo, yeah, the hits are low... what I was getting at is once you usually unlock him its a done deal.

Looking at it this way... an ARC trooper can take out a minimum of three troops within one life (usually, and I would hope some have enough skill to get more then that, but yeah... its an example). If thats the case, you're still getting two extra kills then the enemy is.

What would make the map all the more interesting is if you would get points deducted for every death you suffer. Making dieing have more of a point to an individual player. Any person can get an easy 12 points and be guaranteed the ARC Trooper, no matter how many times they die. As long as they don't get any TKs, they're untouchable as far as accessability to the ARC Trooper goes.
Schizo

Post by Schizo »

Well... I'm not sure how one would go about doing that. Like I said, I'm thinking about way to kinda tone down the ARC Captain. I'll increase the points to unlock to 20, and I'll weaken the shots to inflict only half the damage each bolt does now; really, since it's just a hailstorm of lasers anyway, it wouldn't make much of a difference, but enough so that the CIS would actually have a chance to retaliate.

And, for all you anxious fans, Beta Version .95 has been released. Lots of bugs and problems fixed, overall map added on to, and gameplay tweaked for optimal pwnage. :wink:

Czech the first page for the Download Link.
SWShellhound

Post by SWShellhound »

i still like origonal arc commanders gun but whatever.

Downloading new version now
BF2-Master
Captain
Captain

Post by BF2-Master »

The cis hero should be Dooku or Jango. They have few maps compared to Maul and Grievous.
Schizo

Post by Schizo »

I was considering Dooku. He's only got a few maps, where as the other CIS heroes seem to have quite a few. Plus, Dooku makes sense because he was around during the Clone Wars, and actually fought, in contrast to Jango who died in the very first battle. :P

Grievous would make sense too, since during the Clone Wars he launched a series of campaigns and invaded many Republican planets. But, since Dooku has less maps, I think I'll be going with him.
squipple
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by squipple »

Some nice improvements Schizo. I still love that scatter gun. I like how you evened him out a bit too. It seems like I'd die pretty quick if I spawned as that guy. But, that might be because I thought I was Mr. Invincible with that gun! :P 1-flag was also working nicely (in multiplayer too). The minimap looks pretty nice in there as well, although it's a little off. If you need me to adjust it, I can. I don't know of you can adjust that in the code or not. (I'm not that far in my first map yet..still modeling).

- 2-flag's goals are still reversed, and the republic can't grab the enemy flag.
- In the CTF modes, I might add a command post for each side on the outer rim adjacent from where your current ones are, centered to that middle area. This will allow you to get into the battle quicker, and make you decide if you're going to spawn and defend your goal, or spawn and get into the action.
- You may also want to use some planning paths or barriers in that center area. A lot of AI are running into those little walls. I also noticed the CIS collecting around the base of the ramp.
- There's some geometry overlapping on the bridges (I think that's what it is), causing them to flicker. Doesn't affect gameplay, but is definitely distracting.

Keep up the good work on it, it's almost there! :D