Transform Reference Point [Solved]

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Transform Reference Point [Solved]

Post by Anakin »

Hi,

i often wonder if there is a way to do this:

I have an polygon - lets say an cube - and this i want to move to an other cube. I want both edges - left edge from the right cube and right edge from the left cube - to be at the same position. Normaly i uset he snap feature to make points be at the same position. But in this case the reference position would be the center of the cube. So how can i make the snap point be the left/right edge?? For example when i made the UVings i noticed that the reference point for the snaping is the point of the selected things that had the shortes distance to my cursor when i pressed to move the selected things.
Last edited by Anakin on Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Re: Transform Reference Point

Post by AceMastermind »

Screenshots please. What are these cubes for? Do these cubes have any special properties? Couldn't you just extrude one side of a cube? You could also select and snap a group of points or set a new temporary center for snapping objects together without clipping through one another.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Re: Transform Reference Point [solved]

Post by Anakin »

:funny2: i just wanted to take some screenshots to show you what i mean. So i pressed ALT GR + DRUCK to take the screenshots. And when i pressed ALT that was my solution :D

I wanted to move the selected geometry and the red marked lines should snap. But you can see that the reference point of the selected polygon is in the middel and so when i snap the middel was at the line of the cube. But when i press alt i could move the ref.-point to the lower line :D
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Re: Transform Reference Point [Solved]

Post by AceMastermind »

It'd be easier to just extrude the top polygon from the bottom object then collapse the points to form the triangle part.