Texture before merge [Solved]

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

anaobi
Private Recruit
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: SW_BF2 EAW
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Texture before merge [Solved]

Post by anaobi »

This is my first new topic for help. Thank you for offering such great community forum. I'm happy to join.

Well, I'm texturing jedi on XSI 4.2 ~ 5.1 and I think I mistook the procedure.
I looked many sources and these two are part of them.
http://www.gametoast.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=13539
http://www.gametoast.com/viewtopic.php?t=4468

I imported jedi model as .obj file which I downloaded and before merging to polymesh, I textured each body parts respectively.
I merge them after texturing, so as you know, when I look Render >render ? > All layers, I cannot see any texture anymore which I could see before merging.
After that I noticed that I should have merged first, then select polygons manually, then do things like Phong> image, etc.

It took me almost one week to texture and I hope I don't have to do from the biginnning again. Would you have any idea except just texturing again?
I mean I want to put the texture from each body parts to polymesh.
(I tried to export .msh file without polymesh. Put everything under the root, then click middle mouse button on the root, then Pandemictool>export. But when I look the model by BFViewer, the texture was strange like this
Hidden/Spoiler:
ImageImage
I deleted the robe before exporting
Is this strange texture because I didn't use polymesh? Should I texture again on polymesh(not each body parts) and are these textures on each parts useless?

I guess I should texture again, but please tell me if there is solutions or not.

Thank you

EDIT: In the second URL which I pasted above, there are statements:
Exporting - Create a null at 0,0,0, and keep it there . In the Exploror view name it (Dummyroot or whatever you want) and put all your models in it .

BRANCH SELECT (middle mouse button) the Dummyroot (or whatever you named it) - this will select all the important stuff inside the null.

Export.
This is why I textured before merging. Am I misunderstanding something?
Hidden/Spoiler:
My process:
Import jedi's obj file, it includes body parts. Select one part from explorer(such as 'head')
go to material > Phong > image
new > select .tga file
select uniqUVs or Cubic
open texture editor and moved points as I want
edit > freeze
repeat at all parts and move them under the DummyRoot(I named it MS3DSceneRoot)
select all parts by shift click and go to poly.mesh > merge, and in the popup window, I clicked Hide on/off button
move polymesh under the DummyRoot
mouse middle click on DummyRoot, then Pandemictool(addon) > export .msh
Last edited by anaobi on Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Re: Texture before merge

Post by Anakin »

I'm away from my pc at the moment, bit as far as i know in the merge window is an button that says merge texture, uv, envelope,... klick on it.
anaobi
Private Recruit

Post by anaobi »

Anakin wrote:I'm away from my pc at the moment, bit as far as i know in the merge window is an button that says merge texture, uv, envelope,... klick on it.
I didn't notice such important button, thank you! I really got panic first.
However, in BFViewer, it is still strange near the shoulder
Hidden/Spoiler:
Do you have any idea? I cannot see such transparency in the Render View.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Anakin »

Maybe you look from the wrong side on the polygon. If you make an platt polygon (such as the wings from the geonosians) you can see the texture from one side, but not from the other one in xsi. But it bf2 there is no problem
anaobi
Private Recruit

Post by anaobi »

Ok, it is no problem, yes? Thank you very much.

EDIT: I put the model as an object in my test map and I looked her shoulder. And it is exactly same with the photo of BFViewer.
So it seems it is problem.
JazzMaster
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Projects :: Cato Neimoidia- Invasion
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront 2

Re: Texture before merge (unsolved)

Post by JazzMaster »

You may just need to invert that polygon. Like what i think anakin was saying, the face of that polygon could be facing the wrong direction, it will still look fine in XSI but in game it will be transparent. Just try raycast selecting the specific polygon and right click and use "invert polygons". If you cant select it from the outside of the model then that's your clue that it needs to be inverted.
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

anaobi wrote:My process:
Import jedi's obj file, it includes body parts. Select one part from explorer(such as 'head')
new > select .tga file
select uniqUVs or Cubic
edit > freeze
UV positions are stored in the *.obj file, an *.mtl file stores material info for each cluster in the *.obj file. If you didn't have an *.mtl file then you would only need to reassign the images to each cluster and use the UVs that came with the object, you don't need to set new UVs or move points etc.
repeat at all parts and move them under the DummyRoot(I named it MS3DSceneRoot)
There is never a reason to name the root node 'MS3DSceneRoot'. Stick with what the devs used since there is the possibility of underlying consequences otherwise. Milkshape3d had nothing to do with this game.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Anakin »

If inverting the polygon doesn't work you should try to trianguöate the model. If you haven't triangulate it can destroy your model in msh viewer (even crash it) and the game, too.
anaobi
Private Recruit

Post by anaobi »

JazzMaster wrote:You may just need to invert that polygon. Like what i think anakin was saying, the face of that polygon could be facing the wrong direction, it will still look fine in XSI but in game it will be transparent. Just try raycast selecting the specific polygon and right click and use "invert polygons". If you cant select it from the outside of the model then that's your clue that it needs to be inverted.
Do you mean like this?:
Hidden/Spoiler:
I couldn't find unselectable polygon. But I tried to invert the polygon
Hidden/Spoiler:
apparently it is strange in Render view. I also exported the inverted one but still same result in BFViewer.
AceMastermind wrote:
new > select .tga file
select uniqUVs or Cubic
edit > freeze
UV positions are stored in the *.obj file, an *.mtl file stores material info for each cluster in the *.obj file. If you didn't have an *.mtl file then you would only need to reassign the images to each cluster and use the UVs that came with the object, you don't need to set new UVs or move points etc.
So you mean I can do just like these if I want to move them to another pc? :
select the body part > text editor(Alt + 7) > clips > import clips

EDIT: Maybe I'm wrong. I copied my scenes, obj file and tga file to another pc. And I did, File > open, choose scene, select body part, Phong > image > color, then in popup window: image > new, and Texture Projection > I chose exiting one (not new). It worked.
Anakin wrote:If inverting the polygon doesn't work you should try to trianguöate the model. If you haven't triangulate it can destroy your model in msh viewer (even crash it) and the game, too.
In my map, it looks like this:
Hidden/Spoiler:
ImageImage
I found triangulate left hand side in XSI, modify > Poly. Mesh > triangulate. And I found same advice in other forum that says I should do it with model selected.
But I didn't know when and how, so I tried triangulate twice,
1. before merging, select all body parts by shift + click and did triangulate
2. after merging, click middle mouse button on the Dummyroot and triangulate
after that I exported as usual but still no change in BFViewer. Also, I put the model on game and I couldn't find it. It was nowhere.

EDIT2:
I'm sorry for taking your time for such silly problem and thank you for you patient. I really don't have any idea.

I found this: http://www.gametoast.com/viewtopic.php? ... nt#p507907
thelegend wrote:Hm that's really weird. I made a few interoir walkways and rooms but to put smaller props in it I should see where the floor, the walls and the roof is. I just can see the pillars I have added.

Edit: Ok. I got it fixed. Unbelieveable but true: There was a texture I am using for my model but after I removed it, the textures now can be seen in zero Editor. I really wonder why that happened..
What does it mean, and do you think it can fix my problem as well? (My model's shoulder is also transparent in zeroeditor. Yes, everywhere.)

Or, can I fix it from texture editor?
Hidden/Spoiler:

EDIT3
Hey! I solved it!
Hidden/Spoiler:

I found intresting and easy way.
What I did (before merge) was:
Choose the polygon (by raycast selecting or whatever) which is apparently the problem and another polygon (whatever) which is next to that one.
I mean I selected two polygon, then
Modify > Poly.mesh > Delete Components
After deleting two polygons, I made one polygon in that hole.
Go to Modify > Poly.mesh > Add/Edit Polygon Tool (or shortcut N), draw counterclockwise manner. Thank you everyone, I learned a lot this time.