Unit_Template_Beta (discussion)

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Qdin
Old School Staff
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Unit_Template_Beta (discussion)

Post by Qdin »

When I exported as .emdl file, I also got the skeletons and nulls with - maybe I did something 'wrong'? at least as far as I remember :roll:

What about releasing the models and such as a .scn file - then the textures and models (and also windows - its funny to see how other people works with their windows when I open their .scn file)

And also, I'd like to thank you for releasing a model to the public. :D

I'd still suggest to try releasing the models and skeletons etc. in .scn files - that SHOULD be compatible in other versions (hopefully, since all the different version - except for Mod Tools - saves as .scn)

hope this can help :)

- Qdin
Lord-Bandu

RE: XSI Models

Post by Lord-Bandu »

So am I right in thinking that for us to make a whole new unit (lets say a Mandalorian for example) all we'd have to do is make the mesh over your skeletan and export?

Iv never tried making skeletans before so if it just meant we'd only have to make the model this would be GREAT! also it would probably help people like me understand how skeletans etc are setup. Sometimes its easier understand things working backwards.
ShadowHawk
Old School Staff

Post by ShadowHawk »

Yeah, bandu. That is the concept. This is what has been taking time on the Mando project because no one knew how create skeletons. We had the info, but information is useless if you do not have the knowlege to use it. Thanks fred for going further than we could have ever gone. Now we have to just figure out weights so we can get the new mando models working. I have had the most trouble getting it perfect with just the built in skeletons, so if any amature XSI users are reading this, set aside a lot of time to learning weights. Until you get used to it, it will take a long while to get it perfect. Again, Thanks fred. Great job and the whole community will be looking forward to this solution to the final hurdle in modding (especially us :) ).
L-5-R

Post by L-5-R »

This is good. Thank you fred. I just Have one Question. Whould it be possible for you t o give us the scene file (in emdl form) of one of the animated flyers like the xwing or y-wing. I whant to figure out why the Munge proses compiles prebuilt animation files to zaf and zabin files but ignores mine. I belive its somthing in xsi but don't know what. A scene filre would help a ton. Thanks
And may the force be with you. always.
L-5-R

Post by L-5-R »

yes, but I didnt use 2 layers I just created nullls and enviloped them to the mesh then anemated the nulls. I will try the 2 layer approch, Ty once again for your help. And maythe force be with you always.
ShadowHawk
Old School Staff

Post by ShadowHawk »

Hey L-5, if you get it to work, shoot me the directions. I'm working on a few ships that need custom animations also and been trying to gather info on it to start the layout.
L-5-R

Post by L-5-R »

Dude If I figure out how to get custom animations in game, be shure that I will share the info ;) im not gready. lol
L-5-R

Post by L-5-R »

Ok I'll take a look, and thank you. I have tryed to use bconstructor to open the basepose and takeoff files but for some resion it crashes xsi... Anyway I'll give this scn file a look. One last thing, in your aniguide you said "Set the start and end frame in the playback timeline boxes" this has me scratching my head, Do i have to manuly set this, I figured I keyed the bones at start 0 on the timline then keyed to end at 120 the interpulation worked like a charm. If you could clarify it would help. Thanks. And may the force be with you......Always
Qdin
Old School Staff

Post by Qdin »

I've tried the Enveloping things the last week, but I have some problems :?

I follow the steps as you mention above, Fred - (i've opened the v5 XSI Foundation Trial, so I'm Screenshooting my way through the process) but its like it won't do excactly as mentioned :?

I'm using the unit_template I DLed from your site, and I've also deleted that mesh of the jet-trooper - I hope that wasn't a mistake :roll: anyways, I've deleted that mesh of the jet-trooper, so I don't select the wrong mesh later on :wink:

I select the mesh of the CLone Trooper - NODE Select I assume - then I go to: Animate>Deform>Envelope>Set Envelope, and then this screen appear instead of the YES button :? (I pressed YES last time, but it shouldn't have 'saved' the option - should it..?)
Should I check or let the 'Automaticly Reassign Envelope' be unchecked?

I'll go further with it unchecked.

The next is to select the bones - does this include the Nulls?

here is the image with everything selected (including nulls and such);

the 1st pic is with the M-mode after opening the Animation Mixer;

The next here, is with the M-mode Untoggled;

As you can see, nothing happens. there's the -1 to 102 frames, and it doesn't go from the Da Vinci stand, to any other 'Frame Animation'.

I'll go to Textured Decal, and it looks like this:

did I do anything wrong? :?

When I get home, I'll edit this and use a Image-host in case you somehow can't see the pics I've posted :)

Thanks for your time.

- Qdin
Last edited by Qdin on Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Qdin
Old School Staff

Post by Qdin »

I decided to use another host :)

But what you're saying, is that so long as the model keeps looking 'normal' without the texture getting screwed, then its all OK?

when I toggle M, I can select some vertex's and move them as I want to - is this the 'way' to re-model? or should I use the Point Tool? or are they the same? :roll:

- Qdin
Qdin
Old School Staff

Post by Qdin »

ahh...

so I remake the mesh of the body as I want, and then open Animation Mixer and toggle M to see if there's any problems?

but if there's some vertices which is spiked as you mention, how do you then 'fix' it? do you have to move them, or do you have to use another method?