Softimage XSI Mod Tool 4.2

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

konicon

Softimage XSI Mod Tool 4.2

Post by konicon »

Has anyone managed to make anything with the XSI mod tools yet? I just downloaded them but I can't get the Pandemic mesh exporting addon to work. An error comes up when i load XSI saying that it couldn't load the script. I think I read in a post somewhere that the current Pandemic XSI addon doesn't work with with XSI 4.2 mod tools and Softimage is currently working with Pandemic to get a working addon. This true?
TAW_pinx

RE: Softimage XSI 4.2 Mod Tools

Post by TAW_pinx »

Konicon, I haven't gotten the tools yet, but I would really like to work with it. How difficult would you say it would be to create Mandalorians as a new faction? If it's going to be really tough, I think I'll just stick to creating maps.
Saturn_V
Emperor's Hand
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Saturn_V »

ModTools does not yet support the Pandemic exporter, but Softimage are working with Pandemic to make available a version of ModTool that will. FYI, there also appears to be a bug in XSI Foundation that prevents the exporter from writing the msh format model; it is less clear if Softimage will address this.
konicon

Post by konicon »

Relatively difficult I think pinx, there's alot of work involved in creating an entirely new side. Editing odf files and textures is one thing, but creating 3d models and animations is entirely another. I haven't had the xsi mod tools for very long, but it seems thers gona be alot bigger learning curve involved here than there is for zeroedit, especially for people with little or no experience with 3d programs. Fortunately though there's a good set of tutorials that come with the xsi mod tools, and they've been pretty easty to follow so far, so its just a matter of time and effort in getting to know these tools I guess.

I had a look on the Softimage forums and the word is there that yes the Pandemic pluggin doesnt work with the XSI Mod Tools, but Softimage and Pandemic are working on it (its been nearly a month now i think) and i guess they'll release an update or a working addon in the near future. So untill then I guess we'll just have to wait.

So apart from with the xsi mod tools, no one's managed to export any working mesh's for use in Battlefront?
eddie
Gametoast Supporter
Gametoast Supporter

Post by eddie »

Fred/others,

I have found a friend with I think Soft Image 4.2 foundation who should be my teacher for making models and stuff. Now, reading art design manual, it is not clear (for me) if we need XSI mod tools, new plug in or/and XSI2Mesh script I have hard time to locate. Anyhow, can you (or someone else) just write a small overview of what we will need if we have Soft Image 4.2 foundation or 3D max studio or whatever other programs and what are basic steps. Thanks.
Saturn_V
Emperor's Hand

Post by Saturn_V »

If you have Foundation 4.2 (as I do), - see my post above... you'll either have to install Mod Tool as well (for the exporter) or pray that Softimage release a bug fix (they are looking into a fix for the Half Life exporter tools, so maybe... )
eddie
Gametoast Supporter
Gametoast Supporter

Post by eddie »

thanx saturn. what is I have 3d max or maya or ....?
Saturn_V
Emperor's Hand

Post by Saturn_V »

I think somebody posted that there was a msh exporter for 3DSMax, but I don't know if that will export them correctly for BF.
eddie
Gametoast Supporter
Gametoast Supporter

Post by eddie »

Thank you both, this is very helpful information. Now I know how to prepare.

I've just relalized that there was a post about this before so people, like me not reading first before posting, read this too:

http://www.gametoast.com/index.php?name ... sc&start=0
Saturn_V
Emperor's Hand

Post by Saturn_V »

If there is ANYONE out there who has got the exporter plug-in to actually export a msh with the non-free version of XSI Foundation, I would love to hear from you. My experience is that the plug-in shows up in the export menu (and the edit flags option seems to work), but when I select export it doesn't write a msh file. Anybodeeeeee???
TAW_pinx

Post by TAW_pinx »

Konicon,

I think I understand that I should stick to working on my map skills. That's cool, but Mandalorians and any other KOTR races would be pretty sweet. I think even making a Wookiee faction would be a cool addition (which could probably be done now?)

That being said then, can you direct towards a link or information which would allow me to edit the Imperial Soldiers so that the game can include the Crimson soldiers (basically just colouring the white soldiers red)?
konicon

Post by konicon »

Pinx heck out this post Psych0fred put on his message board about modifying sides

http://www.secretsociety.com/forum/disp ... asp?mid=76

It should be easy to just modify the textures for the imperial soldiers in photoshop or something
TAW_pinx

Post by TAW_pinx »

Thanks konicon! I'm trying to get some cool changes going without having to actually create my own classes, even though I would really like to see Mandalorians since they were so kick Diet Dr. Pepper in KOTOR (but possibly they would be extinct in the SWBF time period, not sure about everything in expanded universe)

Cheers