XSI ZETools

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Re: XSI ZETools

Post by AceMastermind »

I uploaded the imp_walk_atst.xsi template.

To add it to your existing ZE Tools installation just drop the *.xsi file here:
C:\users\%username%\Softimage\%XSI_version%\Addons\XSIZETools\Resources\Templates

Then add the template name to the templates.tcnt file located in the same folder.
The letters(c,v,w) preceeding the name determines which tab the template will be listed under.
Example:
Hidden/Spoiler:
[code][0]
ep Default
c unit_template
v cockpit
c tentacles
c unit_lowrez
c first_person
w lightsaber
w rifle
w pistol
[end]
[1]
ep Creatures
c gam_inf_gamorreanguard
c gen_inf_geonosian
c hot_inf_wampa
c tat_inf_jawa
c geo_inf_acklay
c ewk_inf
v all_walk_tauntaun
[end]
[2]
ep Walkers
v rep_walk_atte
v rep_walk_oneman_atst
v imp_walk_atat
v imp_walk_atst
[end]
[3]
ep Droids
c cis_inf_battledroid
c cis_inf_magnaguard
c cis_inf_sbdroid
c cis_walk_droideka
[end]
[4]
ep Special Units
c all_inf_marksperson
c rep_inf_arctrooper_SWBF1
[end]
[5]
ep Villains
c cis_inf_generalgrevious
c imp_inf_darthvader
[end]
[6]
ep Heroes
c all_inf_chewbacca
c rep_inf_aaylasecura
c rep_inf_yoda
[end][/code]

What other templates do you guys need or want to have?
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

Version 0.9.05 feature preview!
Hidden/Spoiler:
+ model =
Hidden/Spoiler:
After more than 2 months of work(started 17 Oct)and about 1200 lines of code I can finally export (and see)STUFF!
Theoretically its able to export nearly everything(weights, envelopes, uvs, transforms), the code exists, but I havent tested everything yet. As you can see on the picture it definitely does UVs, rotation, translation and geometry. Its pretty slow(16 seconds for 98 points/192 tris without UVs)but it seems to get the job done. Theoretically the material system(Ive created one only for this exporter, using XSIs materials would have been a lot more difficult)is even more advanced than the edit flags of (our) Pandemic Edit Flags:
Hidden/Spoiler:
This was only tested with XSI 2012 so it might not directly work with the modtool, but it should soon.
Cerfon Rournes
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: WIP. I will reveal what it is later on..
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2-SWRC
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Cerfon Rournes »

YES! :runaway: Awesome!
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Nice work! Serious kudos on this, and I hope you're archiving this for yourself - it'll look great on a resume someday.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

I concur, very nice work. Quite impressive at how good you are at stuff. :wink:
The Nasal Abyss
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: Currently Working on an Indie Game
Games I'm Playing :: Splatoon 2
xbox live or psn: Stm: Tight Verbage

Post by The Nasal Abyss »

So, what you are telling us, is that we will be able to export new player models and animations with a more advanced material system to boot WITHOUT the use of a full version of XSI!?

:faint:

If it's only a mesh exporter much like meshex though, that's still an incredible achievement. Wow. This is freaking awesome!
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

Thank you all for the nice comments!

@Mav: Im acutally not really planning to get into the IT branch, but who knows. :)

@TNA: Well...Im definitely planning to get bones and weights/envelopes working(bones seem to be the same as nulls, which already work and weight/envelope code/export is already implemented, just have to do some testing). The biggest problem right now is that it'd take you like 10 minutes to export a player model with the current performance. :D
RogueKnight
Space Ranger
Projects :: Life. Work.
Games I'm Playing :: League of Legends

Post by RogueKnight »

ANDEWEGET wrote:Thank you all for the nice comments!

@Mav: Im acutally not really planning to get into the IT branch, but who knows. :)

@TNA: Well...Im definitely planning to get bones and weights/envelopes working(bones seem to be the same as nulls, which already work and weight/envelope code/export is already implemented, just have to do some testing). The biggest problem right now is that it'd take you like 10 minutes to export a player model with the current performance. :D
I'll take 10 minutes over not being able to do it at all.
The Nasal Abyss
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: Currently Working on an Indie Game
Games I'm Playing :: Splatoon 2
xbox live or psn: Stm: Tight Verbage

Post by The Nasal Abyss »

One more question; Will it be able to export vertex colors? If not, if it isn't too much of a hassle, could you possibly put that feature in?
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

ANDEWEGET wrote:@Mav: Im acutally not really planning to get into the IT branch, but who knows. :)
Not to get too far off-topic, but you certainly don't need to be going into a software-related field for this to be a marketable achievement. This shows creativity, problem-solving, and dedication - good skills for any job. It also shows that you can upload be flexible and learn new things.
Lephenix
Captain
Captain
Projects :: Becoming a Concept Artist-Illustrator

Post by Lephenix »

Excellent work, it is a great present for Christmas, i smell more maps with custom models (well, i hope :yes: ), i'll test anims for you to see if it works :thumbs: .
naru1305
Major General
Major General
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Post by naru1305 »

a really great present for x-mas and i think we could say: A milestone in BFII modding.
thanks you´ve tried it, but as i said to you: i knew you get this working man :D

and merry x-mas to all!
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

Thanks again!
@Mav: Thats true, if presented right it can be of use. :)

@TNA: Getting the vertex colors out of XSI is just a matter of minutes. I have to do some research on the vertexcolor chunk though.

Just wanted to thank especially Ace, without him this would have taken way longer, if it had worked out at all. Thanks to DUCK, tirpider and tipam for testing/providing info. Merry Christmas. ;)
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Merry Christmas ANDE, thanks for doing this. The entire community could benefit from this. :)
Lephenix
Captain
Captain

Post by Lephenix »

Thanks to Ace for exporting all the templates too :thumbs: .

EDIT: It's a little step for Andeweget, but a big step for the star wars battlefront 2 modding community.

8)
Last edited by Lephenix on Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

@Lephenix: :D I definitely learned alot during the development, working with bytes, packing/unpacking, writing an external python module, advanced a lot in python in general, learned how to use XSIs API(geometry and loads of other stuff accessible through scripting), learned how quaternion rotation works and lots of other stuff I cant remember now. :D And I can recite the complete chunk structure of .msh files with all subchunks now. Without looking anything up.

I about halved writing time now. Just 8-10 seconds for 98 points and 192 triangles.
It still takes ~655 seconds to export 866 points/1728 triangles... I maybe have to rewrite my geometry getter "algorithm" right now getting the geometry takes ~653 of the 655 seconds...
Lephenix
Captain
Captain

Post by Lephenix »

ANDEWEGET wrote:@Lephenix: :D I definitely learned alot during the development, working with bytes, packing/unpacking, writing an external python module, advanced a lot in python in general, learned how to use XSIs API(geometry and loads of other stuff accessible through scripting), learned how quaternion rotation works and lots of other stuff I cant remember now. :D And I can recite the complete chunk structure of .msh files with all subchunks now. Without looking anything up.

I about halved writing time now. Just 8-10 seconds for 98 points and 192 triangles.
It still takes ~655 seconds to export 866 points/1728 triangles... I maybe have to rewrite my geometry getter "algorithm" right now getting the geometry takes ~653 of the 655 seconds...
Ah, then it is a big step for Andeweget but a giant step for Star Wars Battlefront 2 modding community.
Cerfon Rournes
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Cerfon Rournes »

Lephenix wrote:
ANDEWEGET wrote:@Lephenix: :D I definitely learned alot during the development, working with bytes, packing/unpacking, writing an external python module, advanced a lot in python in general, learned how to use XSIs API(geometry and loads of other stuff accessible through scripting), learned how quaternion rotation works and lots of other stuff I cant remember now. :D And I can recite the complete chunk structure of .msh files with all subchunks now. Without looking anything up.

Ah, then it is a big step for Andeweget but a giant step for Star Wars Battlefront 2 modding community.
I agree. This is one of the best things that ever hit BF2 modding. :D
Oh and Merry Christmas!
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

Im satisfied for now, just 6 seconds and 300k microseconds for 3458 points/6912 triangles + UVs. :) Rewrote the point/normal getter so it doesnt loop over any unneeded points/already stored points.
Next up is vertex colors. After that Ill take a look at shadows/collision(primitive)s/lowrez.

I suppose Ill release a alpha/beta version this week or next to see how this performs across different machines.
Cerfon Rournes
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Cerfon Rournes »

ANDEWEGET wrote:Im satisfied for now, just 6 seconds and 300k microseconds for 3458 points/6912 triangles + UVs. :) Rewrote the point/normal getter so it doesnt loop over any unneeded points/already stored points.
Wow, great job! :thumbs: