XSI ZETools

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Re: XSI ZETools

Post by Marth8880 »

Gogie wrote:Bump / Specular (flag 28) seems to have some... unexpected results ingame (this is work aroundable by lowering specular value via bumpmaps alpha cannel) or by just using a specular map (and the check box) and render flag 27, so I've made due with it.
You sure? What do you mean exactly? I ask because I've been using rendertype 27 and 28 very, very extensively for the past 5 years and I haven't had any issues with it.
Gogie
Modeling Master
Modeling Master
Projects :: Tinkering away with LEGO

Post by Gogie »

Marth8880 wrote:
Gogie wrote:Bump / Specular (flag 28) seems to have some... unexpected results ingame (this is work aroundable by lowering specular value via bumpmaps alpha cannel) or by just using a specular map (and the check box) and render flag 27, so I've made due with it.
You sure? What do you mean exactly? I ask because I've been using rendertype 27 and 28 very, very extensively for the past 5 years and I haven't had any issues with it.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Look at the cyllinders, the specular appears to be giving unexpected results (admittedly its been a while since I used pandemics) but I don't remember those results being "normal". I too have over used it, I find its less noticible with the alpha adjusted, but it makes really shiny objects... appear... well... weird.

I've tried Mav's suggestion of pretriangulating the mesh (ive tried triangulation in many different ways and directions just to be sure, shift+d, adding edge... seems to still give results)
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

Ah, yeah, that's pretty standard in some meshes. I believe it's related to the mesh's tessellation and/or normals.
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

ZETools is only passing on the settings defined in your materials, so it's probably necessary to adjust your material settings.

Make sure your naming scheme is correct (p_-svbot-myprim, correct me if I'm wrong) and you're not freezing the primitives. Freezing removes essential information.

The object name of cloth collisions needs to start with "c_" for ZETools to recognize it as cloth collision.

(For more guidelines check http://schlechtwetterfront.github.io/xsizetools/)

Can anyone else confirm if cloth collisions and collision primitives work (or not)?

If you want you can also send me a .msh file that has non-functioning primitives/cloth collisions so I can take a look.
Gogie
Modeling Master
Modeling Master

Post by Gogie »

ANDEWEGET wrote:ZETools is only passing on the settings defined in your materials, so it's probably necessary to adjust your material settings.

Make sure your naming scheme is correct (p_-svbot-myprim, correct me if I'm wrong) and you're not freezing the primitives. Freezing removes essential information.

The object name of cloth collisions needs to start with "c_" for ZETools to recognize it as cloth collision.

(For more guidelines check http://schlechtwetterfront.github.io/xsizetools/)

Can anyone else confirm if cloth collisions and collision primitives work (or not)?

If you want you can also send me a .msh file that has non-functioning primitives/cloth collisions so I can take a look.
collision primitives themselves work, I just have to use your tagging system of -svbot-, instead of naming it in the odf (which is actually more convienient, like that works a lot better than naming it in odf... just took me a few tries to figure out why it wasnt working when i was trying it through odf)

I have a set of collisions in my mesh, all non frozen primitives (spheres) using classical naming conventions (c_pelvis, c_ribcage ect) but the cloth still goes right through the players meshes.
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

If I remember correctly defining the collision primitives in the .odf was a SWBF1 thing whereas the -svbot- tagging system is a SWBF2 thing. The naming schemes (except for the "c_" thing for collision primitives I think) are not ZE-specific but provided by the devs.

Did you add the cloth collisions in the cloth editor?
Gogie
Modeling Master
Modeling Master

Post by Gogie »

ANDEWEGET wrote:If I remember correctly defining the collision primitives in the .odf was a SWBF1 thing whereas the -svbot- tagging system is a SWBF2 thing. The naming schemes (except for the "c_" thing for collision primitives I think) are not ZE-specific but provided by the devs.

Did you add the cloth collisions in the cloth editor?
I did, and double checking the properties by hitting the enter key I can see all my primitives.

Heres my process >

create primitive (in this case sphere), adjust size as needed (in property editor, I modified no polys outside property editor as to preserve primitive information)
name primitive c_ *** in this case lets say c_pelvis.

place c_pelvis as a child of bone_pelvis

create cloth (select fixed points, texture ect.)

select primitives > and add to cloth I can now see my primitives listed in the text box on cloth

export, cloth works but no collision.

Also, Ande as I remember, you were able to add collision primitives to vehicle odf's using TerrainCollision / BuildingCollision in odf in BF2, I could be entirely wrong but I swear I remember doing that for some vehicle or rather throughout the years... admittedly its been a long time so I could be entirely wrong (ive never modded BF1)
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

Do you mind sending me one of your .msh files so I can take a look if the cloth collision get exported correctly? I don't have a test environment set up.
ImperialTechnology
Private Recruit
Projects :: Battle of Jakku
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2-SWEAWFOC-SWTOR
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by ImperialTechnology »

I was recommended to come over here with this issue,
While attempting to export an OBJ model I created to .msh form, I got this error

Code: Select all

Last 15 log lines:

Traceback:

Traceback (most recent call last):
     File "<Script Block >", line 28, in exportbutton_OnClicked
     File "C:\Softimage\Softimage_Mod_Tool_7.5\Addons\xsizetools-1.3.0034\Application\Core\zetexport.py", line 897, in export
       self.si_models = self.get_all_children(self.si_root)
     File "C:\Softimage\Softimage_Mod_Tool_7.5\Addons\xsizetools-1.3.0034\Application\Modules\softimage.py", line 236, in get_all_children
       return self._get_all_children(root)
     File "C:\Softimage\Softimage_Mod_Tool_7.5\Addons\xsizetools-1.3.0034\Application\Modules\softimage.py", line 244, in _get_all_children
       if root.Children(0):
     File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\win32com\client\dynamic.py", line 516, in __getattr__
       raise AttributeError("%s.%s" % (self._username_, attr))
   AttributeError: <unknown>.Children
Does anyone have a solution to this issue? Thanks!
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

Make sure you only have the root of your hierarchy selected when exporting.

Code: Select all

root <- selected
 - child1
 - child2
If you have multiple objects that are not nested put them all under a Null primitive.
ImperialTechnology
Private Recruit

Stupid Question (I dont use XSI on an average) but how do I select the root hierarchy?
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

Press 8 to open the Scene Explorer and look at how your models are organized. If you have multiple objects make sure they're all inside a root object (can be of any kind). You can drag&drop objects to rearrange them. Then select the root object and export.
ImperialTechnology
Private Recruit

I did all that you said to do, however, I tried to export regularly the first time, that didn't work. I did check sel, found I had some bad faces, triangulated, and tried again. Still didn't work. So I batch exported, that did work, however the model itself did not export and gave me the 0 verts 0 models etc plus the msh was nowhere to be found. Have any idea what could be causing this issue? Thanks
KaskDaxxe
Private
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront II

Post by KaskDaxxe »

I don't know if I'm just a dummy (I've just installed XSI) but whenever I just import the stormtrooper msh and export it back without doing anything else, when I load it in the game it becomes hugely deformed. I couldnt find anything about how to fix it on your website, am I doing something wrong?
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

@ImperialTechnology: Did you always get the same error when the export failed? Could you provide:
  • A screenshot of your Scene Explorer with your model hierarchy expanded (right click on a model then expand)
  • A screenshot/write-up of your export settings
@KaskDaxxe: That shouldn't happen. What are your exact steps when you re-export?
ImperialTechnology
Private Recruit

Doing regular export, I'm getting the exact same error as before, Batch export I get the model exporting 0,0,0 thing, and here is a screenshot compilation of the different relevant errors and what you requested
Hidden/Spoiler:
Once again, thanks!
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

Well, in this case batch export couldn't work because it will export all direct children of your selection as separate .msh files.

Can you try putting your object inside a Null? Create one with Get>Primitives>Null and then drag&drop your object on that. Then select the Null and export.
ImperialTechnology
Private Recruit

Thank you, thank you, thank you, so much, I got the model to export!
CdtFox
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Projects :: BUC and Designated Days
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2+EAW+Subnautica

Post by CdtFox »

So okay when importing Dev's Recon Clone i have this error:
Hidden/Spoiler:
[code]Last 15 log lines:

INFO (861, do_import): ==========================================
INFO (862, do_import): Starting import at 2017-05-08 07:31:27.139000.

Traceback:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<Script Block >", line 91, in importbutton_OnClicked
File "C:\Users\STAR\Softimage\Softimage_7.5\Addons\XSIZETools\Application\Core\andezetimport.py", line 852, in import_
self.do_import()
File "C:\Users\STAR\Softimage\Softimage_7.5\Addons\XSIZETools\Application\Core\andezetimport.py", line 863, in do_import
logging.info('.msh file path: {0}'.format(self.config.get('path')))
UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xe9' in position 4: ordinal not in range(128)
[/code]
Here is the link of the model: http://www.mediafire.com/file/oe1t4k52q ... Phase2.rar
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

This error seems to occur before even starting the import. Looks to me like there is a problem with the path to your .msh file (like special characters), could you provide the full path to the .msh you're trying to open?
It also looks like you're using an older version of XSIZETools, make sure to upgrade to the latest one from here: https://github.com/Schlechtwetterfront/ ... s/releases (delete the old folder completely and unzip the new one)