XSI ZETools

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Re: XSI ZETools/Scripts

Post by ANDEWEGET »

Awesome. Id definitely like the geometry, weighting would be nice, too. Geometry is the most important one, though. Would be nice if you export them in .xsi thats easier for me in terms of scripting than .emdl. :)
I dont know many "different" skeletons, anyone knowing more(and usefull ones)please post.

Often used/usefull:
Battledroid
SBD(?)
Female(Ayla Secura, right?)
Wampa
Acklay
Droideka
Taun-Taun(spell?)
Vader

Not that usefull/often used:
Ewok
Yoda
Java
Grievous
Geonosian
Gamorrean

This is just from what I think is usefull and from what I believe exists. ;)
The more useful ones have higher priority although if you feel youre in need of work, the not that useful ones are still somewhat usefull.

I added some more functions on the character tab(setup scripts for the other skeleton templates mostly).
Last edited by ANDEWEGET on Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:13 am, edited 4 times in total.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

The three I care about would be
-Droideka
-Ewok
-Aayla Secura
Sky_216
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Sky_216 »

Personally I'd love to have......
- Acklay
- Tauntaun/Kaadu

Great work so far Ande, good luck with it. :)
Lephenix
Captain
Captain
Projects :: Becoming a Concept Artist-Illustrator

Post by Lephenix »

Those would be awesome:
- Battle Droid - SBD Droid - Droideka
- Ewok - Jawa - Yoda
- Grievous
- Vader
- TaunTaun - Kaadu
- Wampa

In clear all the skeletons of the mod tools would be awesome, good luck :P . ( I can't imagine the units you can make with all those skeletons and great mods :shock: ).
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

Thanks for the replies.

@Ace:
Ive updated the post above with a list featuring all of the mentioned skeletons. Now its up to you! ;)
Fiodis
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: Rannoch + Tientia + Tools Programming

Post by Fiodis »

What about walker skeletons? Since the Taun taun was suggested, it'd be nice to have the AT-AT, AT-TE, AT-ST, Spider walker, and scout walker, as well - though that is another five skeletons on top of the already extensive list. :oops:
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Fiodis wrote:What about walker skeletons? Since the Taun taun was suggested, it'd be nice to have the AT-AT, AT-TE, AT-ST, Spider walker, and scout walker, as well - though that is another five skeletons on top of the already extensive list. :oops:

Of that list I want the AT-TE skeleton the most.
naru1305
Major General
Major General
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Post by naru1305 »

wow, is this all real? i´m not dreaming? this is awesome, wow, really cool and useful :faint:
keep it up!
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

ANDEWEGET wrote:Ive updated the post above with a list featuring all of the mentioned skeletons. Now its up to you!
My focus is on the character skeletons; they will be FK skeletons since this is a product of the conversion process but if you want to animate them easily then you can use their null hierarchy as a snap guide to draw bone chains for IK animating.
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

Aye, no problem. As long as you finish something Ill be happy. ;)
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

The ones I have so far are:
  • Aayla Secura
    Battledroid
    Chewbacca
    Darth Vader
    Ewok
    Gamorrean Guard
    General Grievous
    Geonosian
    Jawa
    MagnaGuard
    rep_inf_arctrooper_SWBF1
    Sniper_Female
    Super Battledroid
    Wampa
    Yoda
These .xsi files amount to 29 MB without textures. I have the texture paths pointing toward the BF2_modtools so there would be no need to package them up.

This addon will be quite hefty when all is said and done if these files are packaged with it, and I haven't even converted the vehicles (ATTE, AT-ST, AT-AT, etc), Acklay, Tauntaun, Droideka or turrets yet. Maybe a separate download would be a better option for the .xsi files and you could just use a placeholder file for the templates and let the user decide which ones they want.
naru1305
Major General
Major General
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Post by naru1305 »

wow, great work ace on the skellys, can´t wait to use one of them, this will be so useful :bowdown:
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

Ace work, Ace! ;)
Yeah, good idea. Ill just include the standard skeletons for vehicles and characters and package the other skeletons in "add-ons"(droids, vehicles, creatures or something). The way I want to code the template import stuff the user just needs to edit/replace a text file and put the .xsi's in the right direction then it'll work.

Does anybody know of any disadvantages of the old 3.x dotXSI files? (AFAIK) XSI 5.11 cant import 5.0+ dotXSI files without installing Crosswalk(which is 80mb or so). Id just keep all the templates in 3.x, but if it has any problems... :runaway:
keenmike
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal
Projects :: Side by side bike with suspension
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF1

Post by keenmike »

From the very first image saw Import Template tab and knew this would be it is nice.
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

ANDEWEGET wrote:Does anybody know of any disadvantages of the old 3.x dotXSI files? (AFAIK) XSI 5.11 cant import 5.0+ dotXSI files without installing Crosswalk(which is 80mb or so). Id just keep all the templates in 3.x, but if it has any problems...
All of the templates I have are of the .xsi 5.0 format version and they import into the 5.11 software version fine, or are you saying the 5.11 software version relies on the libraries included with Crosswalk? Crosswalk didn't exist until software version 6.
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

DUCK and I had problems with .xsi 5.0 from 2011(with Crosswalk) to 5.11(without Crosswalk), when importing nothing appeared in 5.11. 3.x worked fine.
Lephenix
Captain
Captain
Projects :: Becoming a Concept Artist-Illustrator

Post by Lephenix »

ANDEWEGET wrote:DUCK and I had problems with .xsi 5.0 from 2011(with Crosswalk) to 5.11(without Crosswalk), when importing nothing appeared in 5.11. 3.x worked fine.
Yeah it happened to me too.
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

A little update:
The "Expansion Manager"(lets you install "expansions" aka small skeleton packages). Its possible for anyone to create new expansions now, as the number/names of skeletons isnt hard coded anymore but is referenced in a file.

Rewriting all the functions right now due to the need/want of dynamic functions for all the different skeletons...
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

ANDEWEGET wrote:DUCK and I had problems with .xsi 5.0 from 2011(with Crosswalk) to 5.11(without Crosswalk), when importing nothing appeared in 5.11. 3.x worked fine.
It's no surprise to me that files coming from software 4 versions newer don't work in 5.11, the Softimage(XSI) and Crosswalk software have gone through many updates since then. I don't have Softimage 2011 to test for incompatibility. What version of Crosswalk are you using? Try an older version, I use version 2.5 for passing assets from Mod Tool 7.5 to 5.11 and it works well. Can you provide me a sample .xsi 5.0 text file from 2011 with your version of Crosswalk for comparison?

EDIT
I see from your screenshot you have this plugin installed in Softimage 2012 SP1 (64 bit), have you tested this plugin in XSI 5.11 to see if it works there too? If these newer versions of Softimage(XSI) are required then there may be only a handful of people here that can actually use your new plugin. Anything I release will be compatible with software available to everyone so anyone can use it.
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

Old Posts wrote:Something about .xsi 3.x...
@Ace: If you wouldnt mind, could you create a group Envelope_Bones for all of your unit skeletons and hide all the bones? I could do that through scripting, but thats not fun. (I suppose the 2012 .xsi 5.0 didnt work? If it does I could do it myself...) Id be really thankfull! And could you provide me with some of the skeletons? Then I could begin writing the more specific functions.

A small changelog:
"Expansion" code works now.
Wrote the beginnings of a brief "documentation/help" you can open from the help dialog.
Removed the addon group from the character tab and made an own tab for it.