Foliage texturing issues

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Oceans14
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: Athenova Campaign
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Foliage texturing issues

Post by Oceans14 »

I'm trying to apply a leaf texture to a hedgerow, but because all the faces are facing different directions I can't find a projection method that works. The texture seems to be applied correctly to maybe 3 out of... I don't know, the million leaves that are on this thing. I tried changing the repeat and scaling values but that didn't really help.
Screenshot:
Hidden/Spoiler:
I circled the only area the texture is showing up although it's verrrry hard to see (haven't touched transparency settings yet).

If somebody could point me in the right direction on just how to best texture a dense hedge that would be great :)
Hidden/Spoiler:
I should note that this is not my model. It came from Forgotten Hope 2, a Battlefield 2 mod, and I suspect it was made by a member of that community. Until I verify the creator and their wishes for its use (or not use), the model will remain as something I'm just playing with in XSI.
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Engineering Degree

Re: Foliage texturing issues

Post by jedimoose32 »

Are all the faces part of the same poly mesh, or are they each individual meshes?
If they're all part of the same poly mesh then select just those faces, then open the texture editor (Alt-7) and apply a planar "best fit" projection. This should apply an identical projection to all of them. If you want to tweak individual ones so they look slightly different from each other, go back and select the ones you want to change, go into the texture editor, and press Shift-H to show only the selected polys. Then scale/rotate the UVs as needed. Repeat until you're happy with the result.
If all the faces are individual meshes then I guess apply a good planar projection to one of them, freeze the object, and duplicate it repeatedly to make all the other leaves.
Oceans14
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: Athenova Campaign
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Post by Oceans14 »

With midterms out of the way I finally got a chance to work on this. I found that when selecting faces, some just won't select. Even doing ctrl-A left some faces unselected. For now I'm just using point-select to move/hide them deeper in the hedge, but what would make something unselectable? Could it be a problem with the mesh?
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Engineering Degree

Post by jedimoose32 »

Maybe. Open the explorer and check in the object's hierarchy to see if there are any polygon clusters. It's possible that there are some clusters that have had their selectability hidden.