Render type not working?

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Ginev
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: Remaking FR Battlefront 3 Tatooine map.
Games I'm Playing :: nothing for now
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Render type not working?

Post by Ginev »

I hope this is the place to post this but its about the sky render type.
Just look the floor.
This guy here is playing a map which have floor objects that have the sky render type working.I followed ZeTools documentary.The render type is 9.I tryed it but its not working:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzqceTHGiHI

Just look the floor.How he make it to work?Am i missing something or this render type dont work proper for ZeTools?If someone know how to do it properly please help.
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Re: Render type not working?

Post by AceMastermind »

It looks like Render Type 6 (Render Chrome) being how it is reflecting the environment like that.

EDIT
Yeah he says in the WIP thread that it is reflection mapped in his "UPDATE 2" images and description.

http://www.gametoast.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=25070
Ginev
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Ginev »

Thanks AceMastermind.I was thinking that this is probably the sky render type.When it comes to render types you always help.About the planar reflection before time that we speak i haven't find a way to make it work sadly.It seems Pandemic did not finished some render types.

Still i curious what exactly is doing the sky render type?Is it even working?Anyway if you have some cool unused from other people render types could you share them with me?Everything will be nice for me.This is mainly the ones im interesting:

9 ========== 09 = Render Sky
10 ========= 0a = Render Water
18 ========= 12 = Render Curved Reflection
26 ========= 1a = Render Afterburner
29 ========= 1d = Render Teleportal - No clue about this one at all.
30 ========= 1e = Render MultiState
31 ========= 1f = Render Shield
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

I was curious so I've run a quick analysis on all sides and worlds .msh files for both SWBFI and SWBFII with these results.

Most render types don't seem to be used at all. Doesn't mean they don't necessarily work though.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

I wonder what rendertype 11 (lightmap) is specifically supposed to do. When I imported hoth_bldg_hangar_entry.msh and tat3_bldg_rancor_pit.msh in XSI and inspected the materials, I didn't notice anything special other than the fact that their texture1 slot listed a detail texture. It is worth noting though that the objects the materials were applied to all had color vertex maps, but color vertex maps don't require rendertype 11 in order to be seen in-game or anything, so hmm.
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

The misc_documentation.doc says this about Render type 11 which is Render Detail according to the original Pandemic Tools Edit Flags list:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Detail Mapped
Render Type: Render Detail

Data 0: detail tiling in the U direction

Data 1: detail tiling in the V direction

Texture 0: diffuse texture

Texture 1: detail map texture

Description:
Detail mapping an object will give the object the appearance of more texture resolution when close to the camera. It is useful for simulating finely, rough surface such as cement or rocks.

Comments:
The detail map should have an average intensity of about 0.5, which insures that the overall brightness of the object will not be affected.
@ANDEWEGET
That's a nice list of working examples you have there, thanks for doing that. I didn't know about the ones flagged for Afterburner or wireframe.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Post by Anakin »

Currently i have some rendertype problems, too. Is there anywhere a fully list of all rendertypes with description and picture about what they do?? For example i wonder what Render Sky, Emboss, Wireframe, Afterburner, teleportal,... do. Or what is the different between Scroll and 2 Scroll?

What i need is a rendertype to switch my texture. not scrolling. i have 4x3 pictures in the tga and i want the object to switch from one to the other. Additionally i want the texture to glow.
Ginev
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Ginev »

Anakin wrote:Currently i have some rendertype problems, too. Is there anywhere a fully list of all rendertypes with description and picture about what they do?? For example i wonder what Render Sky, Emboss, Wireframe, Afterburner, teleportal,... do. Or what is the different between Scroll and 2 Scroll?

What i need is a rendertype to switch my texture. not scrolling. i have 4x3 pictures in the tga and i want the object to switch from one to the other. Additionally i want the texture to glow.

I have on my coputer saved documents from various people talking about render types in the past few years.I found this:
I think you talk about animated textures.

For people who use XSI SOFTIMAGE ZETOOLS plugin.
Before you export go to ZE TOOLS/MSH TOOLS/Manage materials.Then select the material for the texture you want to animate,then click Zeify.After that click edit.Go to render types and put 7.After that in data 0 add 16.Data 0 is for how much frames your texture have or maybe cluster if i may say (not sure).Data 1 control the speed of the swaping images.I tryed with 20 and its very very fast.Just saying.Maybe 5-6 is fine.

ANDEWEGET i think if you have some free time to check deeper into the render flags maybe you will find something new never used before?Why dont you try finding out how sky,water and planar reflection work?It seems you know alot more than us :D
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

Anakin wrote:Is there anywhere a fully list of all rendertypes with description and picture about what they do??
There are some descriptions in the docs and some links to descriptions in this thread:
http://www.gametoast.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=24851
If you play around with the unused flags and achieve something cool just post it in that thread.
Anakin wrote:For example i wonder what Render Sky, Emboss, Wireframe, Afterburner, teleportal,... do. Or what is the different between Scroll and 2 Scroll?
You have to experiment with them, I believe some are unused because the same thing could be done with the common flags instead.
"Scrolling" and "2 Scroll (V)" sound the same except the first scrolls left to right while the other may scroll top to bottom.
"2 Scroll (V)" is probably not used because it can be replaced with normal "Scrolling" by just rotating the image 90 degrees or fiddling with the data0 and data1 settings, but you need to play around with it to be sure.

Anakin wrote:What i need is a rendertype to switch my texture. not scrolling. i have 4x3 pictures in the tga and i want the object to switch from one to the other. Additionally i want the texture to glow.
Sounds like you want render type 7:
Animated
Render Type: Render Animated

Data 0: Sets number of frames

Data 1: Sets the speed of animation

Texture 0: diffuse texture

Description: This render type is used for animated textures.

Comments: All the frames must be on the same texture.
Your UV’s should be mapped to the first cell (not the entire texture).
Each individual cell is always square and is determined automatically from the number of frames.
The number of frames must be a perfect square (ie. 4,9,16,25,36…).
Your animation sequence should go from top left to bottom right.
The animation must contain a minimum of 4 frames, therefore the minimum number that goes in data0 is 4.
Animation speed is determined by the data1 setting.
with glow in 5th place:
viewtopic.php?p=480836#p480836

@ANDEWEGET
Could you scan the space_template\Worlds\@#$\msh folder like you did the others? :)
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

I've scanned the space template and also added some more information about the materials like data0/data1, flags and textures.

I guess this is a good time to go over this again. If anyone has some more information or notices some error in the information, feel free to notify me.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Anakin »

works fine. Thank you. I used 7 and checked glow in ZETools. now i need to find the right speed :D

@Ande: great collection. Can you add example pictures?? I think that will make the understanding much better at some parts.

About the details map seams for me to be something like the lowrez for geometry. Is that right?? It would be a good solution for 4k textures. scaled down to 1k and than add detailmap 4k. I think Zero engine will be able to handle them this way much better.
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

ANDEWEGET wrote:I guess this is a good time to go over this again. If anyone has some more information or notices some error in the information, feel free to notify me.
Data0 sets the minimum intensity according to the description in BF2_materials.doc for render type 25 (Render Energy).
Blink
The render type is used for blinking the diffuse color. The blink will oscillate between the original intensity and the min value specified according to the blink speed.

Code: Select all

Energy
ID	Hex	Data0	                   Data1	
25	19	 Minimum intensity	   Throbbing frequency

I think render type 11 is actually Detail because the way it was used with the examples based on the description is spot on.
I just think it appeared to glow because we weren't using it properly.
The detail map should have an average intensity of about 0.5, which insures that the overall brightness of the object will not be affected.
Ginev
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Ginev »

This is what i made so far for Planar Reflection.
Hidden/Spoiler:
As you can see my floor reflect not only soldiers but also and objects,even the sky aswell.Look the CP reflection.

However this is only a trick,still i decided to show it here and explain how i did it.
I added water beneat the floor.I made my floor 50% transparent and i added him a ice refraction render type.I made the water beneat the platform to not move at all.You can do this from the world.fx file.
The only problem here is that you cannot use this for example let say inside a hangar on a capital ship high in the sky because if you go outside you will see big wall of water going inside the ship :D I know its silly.But still it can be used on the ground like extra effect which i think its amazing.

Also i found that there is a classlabel odf parameter "water" in some Battlefront 2 documentary.However when i switch my "prop" classlabel with "water" my game crash.I wonder for what they were going to be using that classlabel in Pandemic Studio...Maybe they were preparing the water render type but they did not have enough time to finish it.
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

ANDEWEGET wrote:I've scanned the space template and also added some more information about the materials like data0/data1, flags and textures.
I'm curious what flags The Clone Wars 2002 assets used, like maybe some of the ones rarely/never used in SWBF1/2, would you mind scanning those with your mshWalker tool if you get some free time? :bowdown: :D
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

http://schlechtwetterfront.github.io/ze ... walker.log

I had to change the way the data is logged.
Noteable "new" render types are Shield, Teleportal, Normalmap Fade, Glow 2 Scroll, Glow Rotate, 2 Scroll.
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

Excellent, thanks! :D
Finished walking over 5012 .msh files in 1s
Impressive! 8)

It looks like lightmaps might not be doable in SWBF1/2 the way they were intended with the Edit Flags.
The lightmap textures appear to use a 2nd set of unique UVs on the same object.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Anakin »

Do you want to make a thread with all Flag explains together?? since now they are all over many thread answers. But i think there is no really complete explained one about the difference between the render flag, render type and the hex value. It would be very useful to have such a tutorial. And it would be awesome to have screenshots about what they do like DarthDUCK made it for bumpmap, normalmap,...

btw. if you look at the timestamp the script took 1,944746 seconds. For me it's more 2s instead of 1s. But still impressive :D
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

I'm only reading the materials from every .msh file, that's like a few hundred bytes per .msh file.

I remember seeing some .msh files with UV0L and UV1L, that would be second UV set I guess.
Ginev
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Ginev »

Im just curious.When the developers were creating the shader files for BAttlefront 2 what program did they used to create them?If someone know please tell me.I am ready to learn or atleast to try.
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

The shaders.vcproj file says this at the top:

Code: Select all

VisualStudioProject
	ProjectType="Visual C++"
	Version="7.10"
I guess 7.1 would be the 2003 version?

Looking on the Microsoft website I found these:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... 2147217396
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh315733.aspx

I'm not sure if you can write new ones because they may be tied to the game executable, you could probably modify the existing ones though.