Unit as prop questions [Solved]

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Oceans14
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: Athenova Campaign
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Unit as prop questions [Solved]

Post by Oceans14 »

I have a few questions about using a unit model as a static prop. First, I'm confused on whether (and if yes, why?) animations are required. For example, units from the universal dead unit pack are static, but still have animations. Second, what is the process for posing a unit-prop? I went into XSI and rotated the bones of a unit until it was in a sitting position, but after export it was still in the DaVinci pose. I also tried setting "current frame as basepose" with no luck. What am I missing here?
Last edited by Oceans14 on Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Re: Unit as prop questions

Post by AceMastermind »

A static prop doesn't need animations or a skeleton, this was discussed in a similar topic some time ago:
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=32027#p518890

1. Pose the skeleton
2. Freeze the mesh
3. Export the mesh
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Post by Anakin »

You can even place the units ingame using the dispenser tool XD First i wanted to create a way to make a dynamic placeable CP. But the units were all static. So you can make a interior decorator class placing dead units ingame :funny2:
Oceans14
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: Athenova Campaign
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Post by Oceans14 »

Got it, thank you. I had some trouble at first because I thought you meant freeze all transforms instead of the operator stack, but it makes sense now :thumbs: