Moving bone problem [Solved]

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Moving bone problem [Solved]

Post by Anakin »

Hi,

i need to rearrange a basepose and have some problems with the bone_thigh. I need to move the red point to the green and in the best case without affecting the yellow point. I played a bit around with the settings but when doing that i always moved just the upper bone, so there was no connection to the bone_calf anymore. I hope someone can tell me how to do it the correct way
Hidden/Spoiler:

==EDIT==

sorry i tried my own solution. But i'm not a master yet :oops:
I moved the roots from the thigh bones. and it looks great in XSI.
=> export => munge => crash
I figured out that it only crashes with my custom skeleton. with stock it just looks wired (of cause) but it does not crash.

waiting for ace to enlighten me...
Last edited by Anakin on Mon May 16, 2016 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Re: Moving bone problem

Post by AceMastermind »

You should be able to use the Move Joint tool (ctrl+j) to adjust the root without affecting the child nodes, then set your keys again on anything you moved.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

You porting the SWBFIII SBD?
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Anakin »

@ggctuk: Sure. you know we are working on that swbfIIIL mod? We actually need this model :D

@Ace: I'll try that. For now I'd like to tell you what I did so far. I selected the roots and used the move tool (x). Moved them to their position and keyed them. I'll upload the basepose tomorrow and maybe you find a solution without rearrange the whole skeleton again and reenvelope the model.

And hey did you noticed the grip, Ace?? Just for you :lol:
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

Anakin wrote:@ggctuk: Sure. you know we are working on that swbfIIIL mod? We actually need this model :D
Thought you might. I have actually coverted the Dark Trooper already but I had to de-res it to work in SWBF1 so it sits just under 2,500 tris.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Anakin »

Why do you need to de-res it?? But if it's good enveloped, i'm really interested in, when we are working on the Imp sides. Maybe you can send us a pull request, or release here on GT

@Ace: here is my basepose so far: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ck6rgt0br5hsa ... e.msh?dl=0

==EDIT==

is there a way to move just in one of the 3 direction with the Move Joint tool??
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

Anakin wrote:Why do you need to de-res it??
The first game does not handle detailed models too well. It can use them, but it is more likely to make a map hit the lower limit of 16MB model memory (max of 32), which then means the game starts changing to low-res versions to compensate. As this is hardcoded to the exe, I can't change it (easily - it is doable but I have no idea how to locate that particular memory pool), so I've had to take the mesh down to a shade under 2,500 triangles.

SWBF2 introduced the portal system to compensate for this: this is why super-detailed models work in the game: the game only renders what you see on the screen.
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

Anakin wrote:here is my basepose so far: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ck6rgt0br5hsa ... e.msh?dl=0
This is the FK null chain skeleton, your image shows you working with an IK bone chain skeleton. That is what you would use the Move Joint tool with. The null chains are a different beast, for a leg you must unhide the entire null chain and add constraints from root to bone/s to effector to prevent nulls from accidentally moving around. It would be quicker to either redraw the bone chains while using the null chain as a snap guide, then delete the null chain and rename the new bones accordingly, or continue what you're doing and snap the unit template legs to the SBD skeleton.

Anakin wrote:is there a way to move just in one of the 3 direction with the Move Joint tool??
Yeah use the tool in an orthographic view, like front, top, right with "Centers" enabled in "Snap to Points".

Anakin wrote:And hey did you noticed the grip, Ace?? Just for you :lol:
Yeah I did, nice work! :D
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Anakin »

All right. but what was wrong with moving the thigh roots?? Isn't this the same as using the joint move tool??
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

There should be no problem moving the root, cut it completely from the hierarchy before adjusting the position just to be on the safe side, then restore the hierarchy when you're done.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Anakin »

But that's exactly what i did before. So i don't understand why it does not work. Can i may Ask you to look into my scene?? I've send it to you in a private message

==EDIT==

it was the left_clavicle the was not keyed. haven't noticed it, because i didn't enveloped to that bone. :faint: