Moving texture + glow

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: The Sith Wars II

Moving texture + glow

Post by Kingpin »

I have a basic model with a texture. I am quite a noob in XSI (I model in Sketchup and export) and would like the texture to do several things. First, I want it to slowly move. I would also like a quite bright glow. What will I need to do? Thanks
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Re: Moving texture + glow

Post by AceMastermind »

Maybe "Glow Scroll" or "Glow 2 scroll" is what you need. You can set it up in the Material Manager of ZETools.
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Kingpin »

I'll look into it. Cheers.

EDIT: I'm unfamiliar with using the Material Manager. Could someone help me add flags? :oops:
Here's my setup:
Hidden/Spoiler:
thelegend
Sith
Sith
Projects :: Star Wars - Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf GTA CoD LoL KH
xbox live or psn: El_Fabricio#

Post by thelegend »

Sure. I usually choose the Material (In your case ID3) and press ZEiFy. Then I go on the edit panel and can edit the material as I wish. Enable glow, choose Rendertype 3 (Scroll) and your U and V speeds. When finished you'll need to assign your Material. Make sure you select the right geometry when assigning your materials.
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Kingpin »

thelegend wrote:Sure. I usually choose the Material (In your case ID3) and press ZEiFy. Then I go on the edit panel and can edit the material as I wish. Enable glow, choose Rendertype 3 (Scroll) and your U and V speeds. When finished you'll need to assign your Material. Make sure you select the right geometry when assigning your materials.

This is very helpful. I assigned it as Rendertype 3, but I can't find the U and V values.

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out. Thanks for the help!
Also, I added glow, but it is very bright and makes my texture look white. Is there any way I can tone down the effect? Cheers
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Post by Anakin »

add a alpha channel. Black is no glow, white is 100% glow. But no glow doesn't mean that the texture looks like without glow. In the dark it is still visible as in the light. It's just not glowing bright.
thelegend
Sith
Sith
Projects :: Star Wars - Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf GTA CoD LoL KH
xbox live or psn: El_Fabricio#

Post by thelegend »

Kingpin wrote:Also, I added glow, but it is very bright and makes my texture look white. Is there any way I can tone down the effect? Cheers
You can reduce the glow brightness in your texture's alpha channel. Alternatively you can also make the glowing surfaces darker using XSI "paint brush" tool. I always use that method. It's faster and works fine for me. Select your model (or polygons) and press Ctrl and then W (Left Ctrl still being pressed). Go to the panel "Vertex Colors" and then choose your color (Lets say a darker grey than half of 255), then keep pressing the left shift button (The good one, not the one which destroys entire textes) and press LMB to draw your "vertixes".
You can use any color or greyscale. But be careful with colors. Some can make your model look weird and if you use blue, in-game it will be red...

Tips:
-Switch to Contrast View to have a better view on your colored parts.
-In Selection (Under panel of Vertex Colors) you can change the selection method. When a polygon is selected, go and check "Use" and you no longer need to worry about colorizing the wrong parts of your mesh.
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Kingpin »

This is really helpful information guys. Thanks for all the help. :)
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

Anakin wrote:add a alpha channel. Black is no glow, white is 100% glow. But no glow doesn't mean that the texture looks like without glow. In the dark it is still visible as in the light. It's just not glowing bright.
While it is true that pure black will result in no glow, rather than producing the same effect as emissive colors, the part of the model intended to glow will appear completely black instead. So rather than using pure black in the alpha layer, a near-black color would be more fitting.
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Kingpin »

Ah, I see. Could someone help me add an alpha channel to my texture? I feel like I may be overlooking something... :oops: :oops: :oops:
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

[b][color=#FF8000]The FAQ / Everything You Need Thread Version 2.0[/color][/b] wrote:...
Texture editing / implementing
... ...
Unless you meant you need help making one? Just to be clear, we're talking about the fourth A layer in an RGBA texture where individual layers are grayscale. An example of this would be the stock Dark Trooper texture, which has an alpha layer causing it to look like a checkerboard in GIMP. I suggest for just your texture's alpha layer to use an all-light gray color to lower the intensity of the glow in-game. If it's still not to your liking, simply make the gray darker and test again.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Anakin »

What graphic program are you using??
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Kingpin »

GIMP and Paint.NET. Again, thank you for the replies.
So I have my texture, but when I decompose, I only have 3 layers (for RGB) and no alpha. How do I add one? Cheers
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Anakin »

In PS there is a button to add a layer. Pain.net cannot handle layers. In PSE you can save a selection. This will be stored as layer. So if you add a selection called Alpha 1 you add the alpha channel.
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

Kingpin wrote:So I have my texture, but when I decompose, I only have 3 layers (for RGB) and no alpha. How do I add one? Cheers
In GIMP, before decomposing your texture, go to Layer > Add Alpha Channel. Then decompose your texture to RGBA. If done correctly, your fourth layer (A) will appear completely white, which you will want to make into a gray color before composing your layers back again.
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Kingpin »

AQT wrote:
Kingpin wrote:So I have my texture, but when I decompose, I only have 3 layers (for RGB) and no alpha. How do I add one? Cheers
In GIMP, before decomposing your texture, go to Layer > Add Alpha Channel. Then decompose your texture to RGBA. If done correctly, your fourth layer (A) will appear completely white, which you will want to make into a gray color before composing your layers back again.
Cheers :thumbs: