ZE Tools problem on MSH export

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

xezene
Private Second Class
Projects :: NJO
Games I'm Playing :: BF2

ZE Tools problem on MSH export

Post by xezene »

Hey all. So, I've got a model I'm converting from JKA, and it all looks good to go in Mod Tools -- all the correct UVs are assigned, and from checking with MeshLab the obj file I want to turn into msh has about 3400 vertices. The problem is, when I try to export it in Mod Tools to msh via ZE Tools, it tells me that it's exported a file with only around 200 vertices. And that can't be right. Upon viewing in MSH viewer, this '200 poly' msh file is only of the model's eyes. Again, this can't be right because I select all parts of the model for msh export, and I make sure I do that every time. So I'm stumped.

[Side-note: On other models, I've sometimes solved this problem by exporting to obj via Mod Tools, importing that obj to MeshLab and exporting it as obj again through MeshLab, and then -- using that Meshlab obj file -- importing back into Mod Tools and exporting to msh through ZE Tools. And that has worked on other models I've tried, though I have no idea why exactly. But I can't use that method this time because essentially I will lose all the careful UV mapping and assigning I've done, which MeshLab is less good with. That method is also unnecessarily complicated on top of it all, so I just cannot use that method in this case.]

Overall, I need to find out why in ZE Tools it is inexplicably reducing my polys on export from 3400 to 200. I need to export that msh with it's proper poly count. I'm sure there is a solution, but I can't find one. Any advice?
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Re: ZE Tools problem on MSH export

Post by ANDEWEGET »

Make sure you only select the root of your hierarchy which should contain all parts of your model. You can view the scene hierarchy by opening the explorer with 8. If you have multiple objects at the top-level then you can create a Null (Get > Primitive > Null in the left panel inside Softimage) and drag&drop all your objects onto that in the explorer.
xezene
Private Second Class
Projects :: NJO
Games I'm Playing :: BF2

Re: ZE Tools problem on MSH export

Post by xezene »

Thank you so much!