ZETools in a different install directory.

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

commanderawesome
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Skin Changer - Warfront - Other stuff
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF SWTOR KotOR EaW
xbox live or psn: AaTc_CmdrAwesome

ZETools in a different install directory.

Post by commanderawesome »

Ok, so, now that I have a new computer, I have a bit of an unsual problem: I can't install Mod Tool on C drive. C drive is too small, as it's only meant to hold Windows. I do everything off of the much larger D drive. However, as it would appear, ZETools will not work with any install path other than C:/users/%user%/Autodesk/Softimage_%version%/Addons/ or C:/users/%user%/Softimage/Softimage_%version%/Addons/. Is there any way around this?
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: The Sith Wars II

Re: ZETools in a different install directory.

Post by Kingpin »

commanderawesome wrote:Ok, so, now that I have a new computer, I have a bit of an unsual problem: I can't install Mod Tool on C drive. C drive is too small, as it's only meant to hold Windows. I do everything off of the much larger D drive. However, as it would appear, ZETools will not work with any install path other than C:/users/%user%/Autodesk/Softimage_%version%/Addons/ or C:/users/%user%/Softimage/Softimage_%version%/Addons/. Is there any way around this?
Just create the same path on your second drive.
Example: D:/users/%user%/Autodesk/Softimage_%version%/Addons/
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

When you install Softimage (any version), the directory in which addons are installed and preferences/etc. are stored will always be %userprofile%\Autodesk\Softimage_%version%, or at least some slightly different variant of it. (%userprofile% is a Windows environment variable that returns the location of the profile for the current user – see here)

For example, I (finally) upgraded to Windows 10, and I installed Softimage 2015 onto my 2 TB hard drive, which is my X: drive. Even though I installed it to a different drive, the Softimage preferences/addons/etc. directory is C:\Users\aaron\Autodesk\Softimage_2015.
Oceans14
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: Athenova Campaign
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Post by Oceans14 »

I just checked, and mine installed to E:\Programs\Softimage\Softimage_Mod_Tool_7.5\Addons, which is my secondary drive and also where xsi is installed. Everything works perfectly except for an error message that complains about not being installed to C... but I haven't noticed anything broken because of it.
Marth8880 wrote:Even though I installed it to a different drive, the Softimage preferences/addons/etc. directory is C:\Users\aaron\Autodesk\Softimage_2015.
I wonder if that's a windows 10 and/or softimage 2015 thing? I'm pretty sure I just pointed to D\Programs on install and maybe created the softimage folder myself and it threw everything in there.
commanderawesome wrote:ZETools will not work with any install path other than C:/users/%user%/Autodesk/Softimage_%version%/Addons/ or C:/users/%user%/Softimage/Softimage_%version%/Addons/.
What makes you say that? Like, did you get an error or did the addon just not show up in xsi?
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

Oceans14 wrote:
Marth8880 wrote:Even though I installed it to a different drive, the Softimage preferences/addons/etc. directory is C:\Users\aaron\Autodesk\Softimage_2015.
I wonder if that's a windows 10 and/or softimage 2015 thing? I'm pretty sure I just pointed to D\Programs on install and maybe created the softimage folder myself and it threw everything in there.
Well tickle my cucumber and call me a leprechaun. It was exactly the same for me on Windows 7 and Vista, so one of us is clearly drunk. :runaway: :lol:
Oceans14
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: Athenova Campaign
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Post by Oceans14 »

Very good chance it's me, because I just found a C:\Users\Sean\Softimage... except the addon folder is in another softimage folder on a different drive and everything still works. I could not possibly tell you how I successfully installed. The whole thing is likely held together by several strong leprechauns and hope :D
commanderawesome
Field Commander
Field Commander

I currently have it at D:\Softimage\Softimage_Mod_Tool_7.5\Addons and it gives me an error when I try to import a .msh. I am using Mod Tool 7.5 (duh) on Windows 7 64 bit. I'll try it at D:\users\not_telling_you_my_name\Softimage\Softimage_Mod_Tool_7.5\Addons and see what happens.

EDIT: Still didn't work.
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

There's a user addon folder and a factory addon folder.

User addon folder is at %userprofile%\Softimage\Softimage_Mod_Tool_7.5\Addons. (C:\Users\Ben\Softimage\Softimage_Mod_Tool_7.5\Addons)
Factory addon folder is at <Install Directory>\Addons. (E:\Softimage\Softimage_Mod_Tool_7.5\Addons)
The factory addon path is only meant for addons that come with the XSI installation, so ZETools should go in the user addon path.

IIRC it should work in both paths but shows an error on startup. If you have any other errors please post the error message. ZETools should ask if you want to copy the error message to the clipboard, press Yes and paste it here.
If that message doesn't appear open the XSI script editor (scroll icon at the bottom of the XSI window) and copy the red text from there.
commanderawesome
Field Commander
Field Commander

Whenever I try to import something, it gives me this error:

Code: Select all

return getattr(self._scriptItem_.dispatchContainer,attr)
	  File "D:\Python26\lib\site-packages\win32com\client\dynamic.py", line 516, in __getattr__
	    raise AttributeError("%s.%s" % (self._username_, attr))
	AttributeError: Application.ZET_GetNodeToVertexIndices
And it only loads the ShadowVolume mesh and nothing else.