Object to terrain [Solved]

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Oceans14
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: Athenova Campaign
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Object to terrain [Solved]

Post by Oceans14 »

I have a high poly terrain mesh in obj format that I need to convert into a heightmap/height data (probably RAW). Unfortunately I haven't had any luck. If anyone has any ideas, that would be great, as I've pretty much tried everything (blender, unity, 3d object converter) and have hit a wall.

Thanks!

Edit: remembered reading that terrain in ZE can be saved to obj. Tried it for fun and it worked. Seems to me this feature would be used to further edit terrain in a modeling application, but if that's the case.... how do you put it back into .ter format? Just a curiosity. The terrain is just a polymesh, exactly like an obj. Seems weird that ZE can't import obj polymeshes as terrain.

Edit 2: Solved! I found a program called Terregen that allows you to import a 3d terrain model and export a grayscale heightmap. It isn't perfect, there was a lot of strange artifacts in the heightmap that weren't present in the mesh, but those were easy enough to airbrush out. Then popped it into tga2ter and boop, works in ZE.

Hopefully this is useful for somebody else who wants to do something similar.