How to merge 2 models in one?

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

PilotHawk
Private Recruit
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf 2
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

How to merge 2 models in one?

Post by PilotHawk »

For now i've only worked with one part-model. I've imported a new mesh composed of two parts. I tried to merge the model following this directory: Create > Poly. Mesh > Merge but after that i get lost with the panel poping up! Can someone explain me the steps needed to correctly merge it?

I've also tried File > Merge but i got an error :?

Thanks for reading! :)
Oceans14
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: Athenova Campaign
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Re: How to merge 2 models in one?

Post by Oceans14 »

Select both objects you want to merge. Then, as you guessed, do Create, Poly Mesh, Merge. When the window pops up, your two original objects will already be merged and the product will be called "Polymesh". That window just allows you to do a few more useful things. Under the "Inputs" section, you can either hide or delete your original objects (I usually hide mine so I can go back and use them later on). Tolerance and blend I don't touch and therefore have no idea what they do (I could guess, but that wouldn't be much help :) ).

Merging the materials, uvs, vertex colors etc is very helpful if you merge two already textured objects and want to keep the textures.

Merging shape anims, envelope weights, etc is useful for... animating. Specifically if you were creating a custom character model I think this would be of great help, though never having done that, I can't say for sure.

Lastly, when in XSI, press F1 and the help documentation will come up. Just search any of the things you aren't sure about. I use it almost every time I'm modeling for one reason or another, super useful. Hope this helped clearfy though :thumbs: