Model won't fully scale [Solved]

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Oceans14
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: Athenova Campaign
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Model won't fully scale [Solved]

Post by Oceans14 »

I'm trying to scale down a stock dagobah asset in XSI. I'm doing it the way I always scale things down, where I select the root, scale it, and all the other parts scale as well. For some reason though, even when it looks fine in xsi, only the part I scaled is appearing that way in game.

This is the model with the root selected. I scaled this down to 0.3 on all axis.
Hidden/Spoiler:
This is the model in game. Note that the "polymesh5" object is the correct size, but the other parts are the stock size.
Hidden/Spoiler:
I figured this was happening because I needed to either freeze transforms or the operator stack or both, but those actions didn't help. In fact, freezing the transforms reset the scaling back to 1 (not just the numbers... the whole thing got bigger again). If anybody knows what's going on here that would be great, thanks!
Last edited by Oceans14 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Re: Model won't fully scale

Post by giftheck »

Try adding a "-scale" to your .msh.option file, followed by whatever you want to reduce it to (IE if you want it to be 10% the size it is now, it would be "-scale 0.1")
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

In XSI, when you scale an object that is the parent of other objects, those child objects will also be scaled. If you only freeze the transforms of the parent object after scaling, the scaling that was applied to the child objects will be reset. To prevent this, you need to select the parent object *and* the child objects that you want to apply the scaling to when you freeze their transforms.

Freezing the parent only:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Freezing the parent and its children:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Oceans14
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: Athenova Campaign
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Post by Oceans14 »

Thanks marth, tried it and it worked perfectly. Nice gifs too

@ggctuk - I considered using your method but the scaled object won't appear in ZE, which is bad because I need to place this prop precisely.

Thanks for the help guys :)