Problems while exporting to msh in XSI

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

SkinnyODST
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Problems while exporting to msh in XSI

Post by SkinnyODST »

I started messing around with exporting obj`s to msh`s and surprisingly I got really far. Exporting my own models into BF2 is something I`ve wanted to do for a while, but I`m having some problems that I don`t quite know how to fix.
Here`s what I did -
I altered a Galactic Marine obj model in Cinema 4D and hit file/export/Wavefront OBJ (*.obj), it successfully saved it as an obj, when I import it into Cinema 4D to check it, it has it`s textures but it seems to be flipped around or something, the belt on the chest plate is on the right side instead of the left, and the textures that were on one side are on the other. I go ahead and import it into XSI anyway and it has no textures, I add them in (through XSI) and go to the ZE Tools tab and export msh button. It works but when I put it into the msh viewer, it has no textures. So the 2 things I need help with solving are:

1. How do I stop the model from being flipped?
and
2. How do I convert it to msh with its textures?
Dasher
Private Third Class
Projects :: Loronar Jade Moon
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Problems while exporting to msh in XSI

Post by Dasher »

I'm not familiar with C4D, but have you got any expertise in other modeling programs? I'd suggest if you wanna use .obj files to import them in Blender, then export as .wrl (ofc using Blender 2.49, the version is available on their website) and then using the MSHViewer to convert the file to .msh so you can open it with XSI and only edit what's necessary.
LitFam
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF II 2005

Post by LitFam »

Dasher wrote:I'm not familiar with C4D, but have you got any expertise in other modeling programs? I'd suggest if you wanna use .obj files to import them in Blender, then export as .wrl (ofc using Blender 2.49, the version is available on their website) and then using the MSHViewer to convert the file to .msh so you can open it with XSI and only edit what's necessary.
Does this method keep the bones/skeleton intact when you put the .wrl in the mshviewer?
Dasher
Private Third Class
Projects :: Loronar Jade Moon

Post by Dasher »

LitFam wrote:
Dasher wrote:I'm not familiar with C4D, but have you got any expertise in other modeling programs? I'd suggest if you wanna use .obj files to import them in Blender, then export as .wrl (ofc using Blender 2.49, the version is available on their website) and then using the MSHViewer to convert the file to .msh so you can open it with XSI and only edit what's necessary.
Does this method keep the bones/skeleton intact when you put the .wrl in the mshviewer?
Sadly enough, no, it srips the bones off the player model, so you'd have to reassign the unit_template bones, but static objects such as props work fine, regarding the texture problem that's been adressed. As always the only way to come up with a functioning unit is to use XSI @skinny maybe check this out http://www.gametoast.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=5175.
I don't know exactly what you are trying to change, but if you want to add let's say a backpack to the unit or a belt, check this out http://www.gametoast.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=31373
Other than that try to make yourself familiar with XSI, there's never one too many programmes to master