Rendertype 22 help [Solved]

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Luke
Private First Class
Projects :: Caron Prime - Liberation Action
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 SWRC

Rendertype 22 help [Solved]

Post by Luke »

Recently I tried creating some ice caves using rendertype 22. However, I was not able to get it working, the refraction and transparancy effects didn't show up.

What I've done is I created a cluster with an ice texture on my model, put on rendertype 22 and exported via ZETools.

In the instructions for using this rendertype ( http://schlechtwetterfront.github.io/ze ... types.html ) was mentioned that an additional bump map would be needed, so I implemented it by using ".option"-files. However, when I tested it ingame, just the bumped texture showed up, but there was no refraction or transparancy and I'm not able to solve this problem.

Can anyone help me at this point and tell my how to implement the ice refraction correctly?
Last edited by Luke on Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Re: Rendertype 22 help

Post by Marth8880 »

Could you provide a screenshot of your material settings and of the texture you're using?
Luke
Private First Class

Post by Luke »

Here you go:
Hidden/Spoiler:
The texture is taken from the stock Rhen Var assets and has an alpha channel for transparency.
Last edited by Luke on Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
SleepKiller
Corporal
Corporal
xbox live or psn: N/A

Post by SleepKiller »

Luke wrote:Here you go:
Hidden/Spoiler:
The texture is taken from the stock Rhen Var assets and has an alpha channel for transparency.
I can't actually see those images and I'm not familiar with XSI. But in your first post said you were implementing bump mapping using a .option switch. Do you mean using "-bump" in a *.msh.option file or using "-bumpmap" to in *.tga.option file?

If you're using "-bump" in a .msh.option file then I suspect that is your problem. It is likely overriding the refraction render type during the munge process. Just use the bump map as a second texture in the refraction material and it should work.
Luke
Private First Class

Post by Luke »

Pictures are fixed, seems like I have to get a new image hoster :?

Alright, I deleted the msh.option with "-bump" in it and tried putting the bump map's name into the texture 1 slot at the edit flags panel. Now ingame only the diffuse texture showed up without any bump, transparency or refraction.
Ginev
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: Remaking FR Battlefront 3 Tatooine map.
Games I'm Playing :: nothing for now
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Ginev »

OK this is how i did it.Just put RenderType 22 in XSI then put in texture slot a bump texture with .tga extension on the end.This is very important.Thats how you put bump textures in XSI material manager.

Example:

TextureName_Bump.tga

Then create a option file for that bump texture: TextureName_Bump.tga.option and put inside this:

-8bit -compress -format a8r8g8b8 -maps 1

Then save,munge and look your model ingame. :thumbs:

Tell me if this thing do not work.
thelegend
Sith
Sith
Projects :: Star Wars - Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf GTA CoD LoL KH
xbox live or psn: El_Fabricio#

Post by thelegend »

For Ice Refraction I do not use a bump map. I simply enabled transparency to 1, set Rendertype to 22 and that was it for me at least.
Luke
Private First Class

Post by Luke »

I tried both, but nothing works for me.

If I try thelegend's way, all the polys attached with this material are invisible,
and if I try Ginev's way, the texture seems to be brighter but there is also no transparency and thus no refraction. :|

--------------------------------------

Update: Thanks to Ginev I found the solution.

If you want to use ice refraction, go to the edit flags panel and set your rendertype to 22, then set your transparency value to 2 and fill in the name of your bump texture with .tga-ending in the "texture1"-slot like Ginev has already said.
Then create a ".tga.option"-file for your bumpmap and put

Code: Select all

-8bit -compress -format a8r8g8b8 -maps 1
into it.

Then munge and see the result. :D