Problem exporting into a MSH file

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

MissingTexture
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Projects :: SW Resistance Rising

Problem exporting into a MSH file

Post by MissingTexture »

So I am trying to export a Resistance Bomber from a .obj format into a .msh so I can use it for Battlefront 2, however each time I try to export from Softimage 2015 I get a message saying "there was an error exporting" and it gives me a prompt to "copy to clipboard."

I am unsure what the issue is, nor do I know how to fix it, so if anybody has an idea as to why this is happening I would very much appreciate it if you could help me out.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Re: Problem exporting into a MSH file

Post by Anakin »

well, if the error log is copied to the clipboard, why don't you paste it here?? :?
MissingTexture
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MissingTexture »

Anakin wrote:well, if the error log is copied to the clipboard, why don't you paste it here?? :?
Totally slipped my mind on doing that. Here is what it says:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Last 15 log lines:

INFO (575, convert): Is geometry.
INFO (239, get_vertices): Processed 92322 vertices.
INFO (339, get_faces): Processed 30774 faces.
INFO (852, do_export): Finished processing.
INFO (849, do_export): Processing model "_0007_View".
INFO (575, convert): Is geometry.
INFO (239, get_vertices): Processed 1032 vertices.
INFO (339, get_faces): Processed 344 faces.
INFO (852, do_export): Finished processing.
INFO (857, do_export): Removed multiple vertices.
INFO (859, do_export): Assigned cloth collisions.
INFO (863, do_export): Processing Scene Info.
INFO (867, do_export): Finished processing Scene Info.
INFO (872, do_export): Processing animation.
INFO (875, do_export): Finished processing animation.

Traceback:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<Script Block 2>", line 35, in exportbutton_OnClicked
File "C:\Users\Alexander\Autodesk\Softimage_2015\Addons\xsizetools-1.3.0019\Application\Core\andezetexport.py", line 811, in export
self.do_export()
File "C:\Users\Alexander\Autodesk\Softimage_2015\Addons\xsizetools-1.3.0019\Application\Core\andezetexport.py", line 888, in do_export
if not self.write_msh(self.msh.pack()):
File "C:\Users\Alexander\Autodesk\Softimage_2015\Addons\xsizetools-1.3.0019\Application\Modules\msh2.py", line 238, in pack
msh2_data.append(self.models.pack())
File "C:\Users\Alexander\Autodesk\Softimage_2015\Addons\xsizetools-1.3.0019\Application\Modules\msh2.py", line 938, in pack
data = [model.pack() for model in self.models]
File "C:\Users\Alexander\Autodesk\Softimage_2015\Addons\xsizetools-1.3.0019\Application\Modules\msh2.py", line 747, in pack
data.append(self.pack_GEOM())
File "C:\Users\Alexander\Autodesk\Softimage_2015\Addons\xsizetools-1.3.0019\Application\Modules\msh2.py", line 777, in pack_GEOM
data.append(self.segments.pack())
File "C:\Users\Alexander\Autodesk\Softimage_2015\Addons\xsizetools-1.3.0019\Application\Modules\msh2.py", line 1082, in pack
data.append(segment.pack())
File "C:\Users\Alexander\Autodesk\Softimage_2015\Addons\xsizetools-1.3.0019\Application\Modules\msh2.py", line 1172, in pack
data.append(self.faces.pack())
File "C:\Users\Alexander\Autodesk\Softimage_2015\Addons\xsizetools-1.3.0019\Application\Modules\msh2.py", line 1727, in pack
data.append(face.pack())
File "C:\Users\Alexander\Autodesk\Softimage_2015\Addons\xsizetools-1.3.0019\Application\Modules\msh2.py", line 1542, in pack
index_map[self.vertices[2]])
error: ushort format requires 0 <= number <= USHRT_MAX
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Post by Anakin »

From what the lone says, there is a value out of the range. So maybe there are too many polygons? That can only ande answer. But how many polygons do you have??
MissingTexture
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MissingTexture »

Anakin wrote:From what the lone says, there is a value out of the range. So maybe there are too many polygons? That can only ande answer. But how many polygons do you have??
Currently 30k, but I am working on reducing it. I noticed it was easier to select parts of a model in MSH format as opposed to OBJ, but I'll try it out again and see how it goes.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

MissingTexture wrote:
Anakin wrote:From what the lone says, there is a value out of the range. So maybe there are too many polygons? That can only ande answer. But how many polygons do you have??
Currently 30k, but I am working on reducing it. I noticed it was easier to select parts of a model in MSH format as opposed to OBJ, but I'll try it out again and see how it goes.
I've tested models up to 60K so that count should be fine.
thelegend
Sith
Sith
Projects :: Star Wars - Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf GTA CoD LoL KH
xbox live or psn: El_Fabricio#

Post by thelegend »

Off-topic: Whether or not a model is 5K, 30K or even 60K...it is really not recommended to keep them into just one single mesh. Splitting them into parts ranging from 5K to 8K is the way I prefer due to the following reasons: Exporting the msh and munging the msh takes less time. It is especially good when testing the model in-game a few times to see if certain changes were applied or not.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

thelegend wrote:Off-topic: Whether or not a model is 5K, 30K or even 60K...it is really not recommended to keep them into just one single mesh. Splitting them into parts ranging from 5K to 8K is the way I prefer due to the following reasons: Exporting the msh and munging the msh takes less time. It is especially good when testing the model in-game a few times to see if certain changes were applied or not.
Indeed, but for meshes that are 'whole' (IE unit meshes) that might not be ideal. Having said that, I can't think of many unit meshes that we can use that would be any more than 10K-15K.
MissingTexture
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MissingTexture »

ggctuk wrote:
thelegend wrote:Off-topic: Whether or not a model is 5K, 30K or even 60K...it is really not recommended to keep them into just one single mesh. Splitting them into parts ranging from 5K to 8K is the way I prefer due to the following reasons: Exporting the msh and munging the msh takes less time. It is especially good when testing the model in-game a few times to see if certain changes were applied or not.
Indeed, but for meshes that are 'whole' (IE unit meshes) that might not be ideal. Having said that, I can't think of many unit meshes that we can use that would be any more than 10K-15K.
This msh I am working on is a vehicle, I managed to export it into 11k polys after removing specific parts (sphere turrets & chairs in the turrets)
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

A single mesh can only have 65k vertices due to the way .msh files store those numbers. The amount of vertices in the msh file don't necessarily match with how many softimage shows.
MissingTexture
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MissingTexture »

ANDEWEGET wrote:A single mesh can only have 65k vertices due to the way .msh files store those numbers. The amount of vertices in the msh file don't necessarily match with how many softimage shows.
I see, I didn't know that! Thanks for the information