[How to] Exporting multi-textured objects with Blender 2.7

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

hunpeter12
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: Underground City The Complex [WIP]
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

[How to] Exporting multi-textured objects with Blender 2.7

Post by hunpeter12 »

EDIT:
So for anyone who wants to do this, there are two methods:

1. For this you need the Softimage Mod Tool 7.5 with Andeweget's ZETool addon. Export your model to .obj format and import to Softimage Mod Tool. Before exporting to .msh with ZETools, make sure to fix any problems that come up in the 'Check sel' window.

2. If you don't have XSI for some reason: Make your model, then in Edit mode select the part which you want to have a different texture for. Now go to Mesh->Vertices->Separate->Selection (shortcut: Ctrl+V; P). This will make it a different object. Go back to Object mode and select your newly created object. Go back to Edit mode and apply your texture via the UV edit interface. Do these steps for all the different textures you want on your model. Do NOT join the objects before exporting to vrml! Export everything as it is, the SWBFviewer will join everything under one MODL chunk.

Original question:

I've started experimenting with making 3D models in Blender 2.79 for a project I plan to make. I'm exporting them to vrml97 and then using Tipan's SWBFViewer to convert from .wrl to .msh. I recently realized that I cannot seem to correctly export objects that have multiple materials/textures from Blender to vrml - only one of the textures will be exported, and it will be mapped onto the whole model. So, after some searching I found out that Blender 2.49 could export such models easily, but I'm rather daunted by the old interface. I can manage with one tga file most of the time, but I'm not so good at UV mapping. So is there a way to preserve more than one material with the correct UVs in the current version of Blender? Thanks.
Last edited by hunpeter12 on Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: How do I export multi-textured objects with Blender 2.7

Post by Teancum »

What I do is export Blender >> OBJ, then open up Softimage Mod Tool with Ande's ZE Tools. I import the OBJ file, then export as MSH.
hunpeter12
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: Underground City The Complex [WIP]
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Re: How do I export multi-textured objects with Blender 2.7

Post by hunpeter12 »

Thanks Tean, I will try that.

EDIT: Actually found a way to do it without using Softimage, but it's kinda complicated.