Static model visible in ZE, missing in game

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Static model visible in ZE, missing in game

Post by Teancum »

Okay, I gotta admit this is a newbie mistake, but modelling has never been my forte. I have munge and nothing appears. It's infuriating! Any help would be hot as I've been trying for about a week. So it's the entire PSP playable area of Cato Nemoidia. I realize I may need to optimize later by chopping things up, but I just want to get at it.

Heirarchy (sorry, I'm back in the bedroom with my sick wife on my laptop)

scene_root
|--dummyroot (null)
|--mesh

I select the dummyroot in explorer and then right click and choose Select Tree before exporting. I don't have a collision model at the moment as I'm hoping for just cheating with the visible mesh as the collision. I mean we're talking structure from a PSP game in the end.
Calrissian97
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal
Projects :: ANF - ISM Skin Changer - BF1 Ports
Games I'm Playing :: All teh BFs

Re: Static model visible in ZE, missing in game

Post by Calrissian97 »

I'm newbie to modeling, but I noticed when using high poly or just simply large models that the low_rez is called almost 98% of the time. To fix it I simply made the lowrez an unaltered clone. Since it's not showing up at all, it could be because you don't have a lowrez mesh? I know that if player models aren't given a lowrez they simply dissapear if too many polys are called.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

That's a good point. I got it to work (the hierarchy above actually posted wrong), but I should do a _lowrez copy, just in case. There are a few tiny holes in the collision, but I can use the invisible collision cubes that come with the editor to knock those out.

For anyone wondering where they are, in ZE do Object > Place, then browse to /data_[map]/common/odf. They're called:

com_inv_col_8.odf
com_inv_col_16.odf
com_inv_col_32.odf
com_inv_col_64.odf
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

Teancum wrote:Okay, I gotta admit this is a newbie mistake, but modelling has never been my forte. I have munge and nothing appears. It's infuriating! Any help would be hot as I've been trying for about a week. So it's the entire PSP playable area of Cato Nemoidia. I realize I may need to optimize later by chopping things up, but I just want to get at it.

Heirarchy (sorry, I'm back in the bedroom with my sick wife on my laptop)

scene_root
|--dummyroot (null)
|--mesh

I select the dummyroot in explorer and then right click and choose Select Tree before exporting. I don't have a collision model at the moment as I'm hoping for just cheating with the visible mesh as the collision. I mean we're talking structure from a PSP game in the end.
Is there a 'low-res' version of the model when you export it from Softimage? That might be why you're not seeing anything: if the model is too detailed the game will try to render the mesh_lowres version instead and if that's not there the mesh disappears entirely. Duplicate your mesh, then just add "_lowres" to the end and see if that changes it.

EDIT: just realised that this has been answered. But, yep: it's the lack of a lowres that's the problem.