"Cartoon Outline" Creation For SWBF2

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Gogie
Modeling Master
Modeling Master
Projects :: Tinkering away with LEGO

"Cartoon Outline" Creation For SWBF2

Post by Gogie »

This was originally a tutorial for Pierce Needle I figured i'd post it here so this knowledge is not lost.

Today I am going to show you how you can quickly create a simple cartoon outline for your characters.

First this is going to assume your mesh is 100% complete, your weights are done and your character is 100% complete. if you need to make adjustments to your character youll have to remake your outline each time, which honestly is pretty simple anyways.

First off ill be using my Lego Clone as an example in this:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Step 1: Create a Duplicate of your geometry by entering object selection mode (default space bar key) then selecting your object and pressing ctrl+D to duplicate.
Hidden/Spoiler:

Step 2: Change the colour of your texture on the duplicate to be black (or whatever colour you want the outline to be)
Hidden/Spoiler:

Step 3: Enter raycast polygon mode (default U key) and press ctrl+a to select all your polygons
Hidden/Spoiler:

Step 4: With all your polygons selected Go to Model > Poly. Mesh > Invert Polygons
Hidden/Spoiler:

Step 5: At the top of your view port click the little Camera Icon and Click Properties
Hidden/Spoiler:

Step 6: Inside the menu go to the Camera Display tab and Go to Performance and make sure "BackFace Culling" is turned on
Hidden/Spoiler:

Step 7: In raycast mode (default u key) and with all your polys selected (ctrl+a) simply go Model > Deform > Push
Hidden/Spoiler:

Step 8: Adjust the Amplitude until you are satisfied with your outlines thickness
Hidden/Spoiler:

Step 9: Enjoy your done.
Hidden/Spoiler:

Sample Video of how this deforms in game:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... -15-43.mp4
Calrissian97
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal
Projects :: ANF - ISM Skin Changer - BF1 Ports
Games I'm Playing :: All teh BFs

Re: "Cartoon Outline" Creation For SWBF2

Post by Calrissian97 »

That's pretty awesome, thanks!
Lorul1
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel
Projects :: Assault on Theed
Games I'm Playing :: Battlegrounds
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: "Cartoon Outline" Creation For SWBF2

Post by Lorul1 »

I love it reminds me of borderlands and jet set radio future , looks amazing !