Converting XSIZETools to Blender [Closed/Resolved]

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

ITDominator

Converting XSIZETools to Blender [Closed/Resolved]

Post by ITDominator »

EDIT:
It's been a while since I tried continuing my effort and after talking to some folks, there has been a great port/re-implementation of the XSIZETools to Blender. While I'm pretty proud of what progress I had made, I see no real reason to continue it. The tool that works really well is here:

https://github.com/PrismaticFlower/SWBF-msh-Blender-IO

ORIGINAL POST:

If this is not the correct place to post this then I apologies. But, I'm attempting to convert the XSIZETools to Blender and have already a loose prototype working for import. BUT, I'm looking for help or maybe to pay someone to complete this. OR, what would really be nice is someone telling me it's already been done and I can't Google foo for sh*t. :funny2:

XSIZETools Request Ticket (I am not the creator of the initial request.)
https://github.com/Schlechtwetterfront/ ... /issues/12

Blender Code Prototype (Working in Blender 2.79)
https://code.itdominator.com/itdominato ... SH2-Plugin

Notes:
1 - Converted to use Python 3
2 - Please read the Issue ticket for the gist of what's been done plus images.
3 - THIS IS A VERY EARLY PROTOTYPE!! Best practices and actual project structure are TBD.

-- Images of Import Prototype Working --
Republic Barcspeeder mesh in Blender:

Here's the Republic combat speeder with Blender smooth shading enabled:
Last edited by ITDominator on Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Converting XSIZETools to Blender

Post by Teancum »

Very cool! I'll share on our Discord to see if anyone can help out.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

maybe to pay someone to complete this
This bit's going to be a problem, since paying somebody anything related to the mod tools is a big violation of the EULA.
ITDominator

Post by ITDominator »

giftheck wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:51 pm
maybe to pay someone to complete this
This bit's going to be a problem, since paying somebody anything related to the mod tools is a big violation of the EULA.
It's license is GPL 3 and I'm unaware of there being limitations to paying someone to update or port this.
https://github.com/Schlechtwetterfront/ ... ICENSE.txt
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

My mistake. However, you might find the topic of money to be particularly touchy around here, even if you're offering to pay somebody to work on something yourself.
ITDominator

Post by ITDominator »

giftheck wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:27 am
My mistake. However, you might find the topic of money to be particularly touchy around here, even if you're offering to pay somebody to work on something yourself.
Fare enough. Though, I'm happy to mostly front the cost if not all depending on what could be agreed upon. I was just hoping that either I could get help in programming to continue my current efforts OR help in funding it for someone to finish what I had managed to scrounge up so far. I can provide guidance and already done research, etc.

-- A bit of Background Info --
Short Version:
I don't know what I'm doing and what I do have is a miracle. I don't have the motivation/time at the moment that is needed to get past my current hurdle(s).

Long Version:
My current desire, thinking, and/or goal is to have Blender spoof Softimage API calls that are made by the plugin. This is because I don't understand the msh2 format well enough and I'm weary of touching the core code beyond what little I did to get it to use Python 3. Otherwise, frankly, I'd consider rewriting the whole thing with Blender in mind. :mrgreen: I also like the idea of keeping it hot swappable whereby the actual plugin code could be pulled out from the Blender wrapper and plopped into the old and crusty Softimage system with no fuss. (Technically, this requires making changes to what I did with the imports but whatever.) To do the desired outcome would require understanding WHAT the calls are returning and WHAT it actually means to the outcome of the mesh. Which means we need to know why what is being done is done and what the API calls are actually intended for. I am very new to 3D stuff when it comes to meshes, transforms, vectors, uv mapping, etc and its programmatic aspects. So, I'm kinda a lame duck right now until I get motivation or help.
Last edited by ITDominator on Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
ITDominator

Post by ITDominator »

To make a clarifying point, the Softimage API calls that need spoofing are really in only two files that I have so far deduced are needed. They are part of the import/export process that from the looks of things sets up a successful flow which can not happen through just the core msh2 code and how it's currently setup. (Read my direct export comments on the request ticket to see what's happening there.) The remaining work will be Blender side with supporting flags and data structures that need to be passed through.

In addition, the Import side has been easier which is why I have a prototype. But, no texture data has been setup so far because, again, I'm pretty green when it comes to the uv mapping and whatever else need and their programmatic aspects. Plus, what is importing isn't integrated to a work flow and the supporting plugin ui that will be needed.

Anyway, I mistakenly make it out that the Softimage API is my main sticking point and that's not exactly correct. My understanding it will help me understand the msh2 flow and help write the Blender side of things which is a chunky part. My main sticking points are that I'm new to the programmatic side of the 3D work, I'm new to the Blender API stuff, AND my understanding of the msh2 file structure is at best laughable. Though, I got a somewhat crash course when converting the core code to Python 3 and fixing breakage.
Last edited by ITDominator on Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ITDominator

Re: Converting XSIZETools to Blender [Closed/Resolved]

Post by ITDominator »

ENDING THREAD:

It's been a while since I tried continuing my effort and after talking to some folks, there has been a great port/re-implementation of the XSIZETools to Blender. While I'm pretty proud of what progress I had made, I see no real reason to continue it. The tool that works really well is here:

https://github.com/PrismaticFlower/SWBF-msh-Blender-IO