XSI to Maya Anyone?

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Jinxmetwice

XSI to Maya Anyone?

Post by Jinxmetwice »

Got the modtools last week and after making a few basic levels getting the idea of the whole working i got the itching to see what I can do with the models but to my dismay the programmers used XSI

Im wondering if anyone know of a program for XSI that will convert to maya and vise-versa, would help greatly in trying to get some models going for the mod community
squipple
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

RE: XSI to Maya Anyone?

Post by squipple »

Well it depends on what you mean by "converting". Although I've yet to get into XSI, simple models can easily be moved from 3D proggy to 3D proggy by exporting them as a common-readable 3D format like OBJ. Unfortunately, if you've got any rigging or anything that won't go with it. Textures will also need to be re-applied in the destination software. I do my modeling in Maya, and I'll likely have to texture in XSI to export objects for my world.
minilogoguy18
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

RE: XSI to Maya Anyone?

Post by minilogoguy18 »

maya to my knowledge has a .xsi exporter and from what ive seen the programs are VERY similar and theres even transition tuts at softimage.com under education and training. id link you directly but it wouldnt help if you didnt have a softimage account at the site :P
squipple
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by squipple »

Hmm, I've never seen a standard XSI exporter in Maya. There are a few different formats you can export to, all which may or may not support NURBS, patches, or subdivision surfaces when importing to XSI.
in addition to the native ma and mb exports, there are also IGES, OBJ, GE2, FBX, mentalRay, and "move" - which I've never heard of.

Lambsoft made some tools called MoveTools at one point, but it supported old versions of both softwares. Not sure if it would still help out or not.
Jinxmetwice

Post by Jinxmetwice »

Hrms Intresting, Im still planning on getting myself a copy of XSI in the future. if its true that it can save out to files that XSI can read..

I figured that id still have to rig the models again in xsi but if i can open the models up I think thats a first step, and im sure I can pick-up XSI eventually.
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

Jinx', I think this Softimage web-site's section could help you downloading a few resources intended to Alias Maya... (However, you must own an account there before being able to visit it !)
minilogoguy18
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by minilogoguy18 »

use the .fbx format, its the best out there becasue its a universal file exchange format and there will be no data loss what so ever in your scenes, its the only way i can go between 3ds max and XSI without messing up the model.