XSI is dodgy

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

pinioncorp

XSI is dodgy

Post by pinioncorp »

Basically i have made a simple object in 3DS Max:

Then i have imported it into XSI via the 'import 3ds' tool. Admittedly, the textures are completely ruined, but that is easily fixed later. All I want to do is export the object from xsi to .msh format.

I select the object, open the script editor and browse to the export script. Then clicking run, it just sits there as if nothing is meant to happen?!?¡¿¡?!?

How do I get it to export an object (ANYTHING!) from XSI?
Qdin
Old School Staff
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

RE: XSI is dodgy

Post by Qdin »

have you installed the SWBF2 MSH Exporter? :o I assume you have :wink:

second of all, it IS mentioned in the Docs in both games, that you'll have to export the whole 'tree' (with the sceneroot and children) while you have selected all of it with BRANCH Select. you BRANCH Select by clicking/holding down the Middle Button :)

hope this helps.

- Qdin
squipple
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by squipple »

I thought the XSI exporter wasn't working yet, and that they were working on getting it fixed. I know I have a large portion of my new map built and waiting for that fix.
saberhagen

Post by saberhagen »

The exporter doesn't work for the free Mod Tools version of XSI yet. It has always worked for XSI Foundation and above.
squipple
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by squipple »

ORLY? So the exporter that came with the mod tools works with full-blown XSI? I'll have to try it out.
squipple
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by squipple »

I installed the addon to XSI, just placed a primitive dodecahedron at 0,0,0, and followed the steps Bandu posted here http://www.gametoast.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3014.
Exported the msh, and my object shows up in zeroeditor, but not in the game. Are you sure the exporter is currently working?
pinioncorp

Post by pinioncorp »

Thanks for the tip guys, helps to know I'm not just stupid.

Qdin: yeah, I had selected the root scene (and rennamed it from the 3ds mesh default) from the schematic tree. Alas, nothing.
RevanSithLord
Sith Master
Sith Master
Projects :: Designated Days + LFC + GT vs SWBFC
Games I'm Playing :: FO3 + FO New Vegas
xbox live or psn: Master Revan

Post by RevanSithLord »

You know, if you look at it in some way, it looks like a Muunilinst building...alls ya need to do is color it a bluish gray. Lol. Im just sayin. I like the building though pinion.
Qdin
Old School Staff

Post by Qdin »

the Sceneroot HAS to be called MS3DSceneRoot, in case it's called something else :wink:
squipple
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by squipple »

Yep, I made sure I added the null and named it that. Then I parented my object to the null. I assume that's what he meant by "put all your models in it". Or does it mean something else?
Like I say, it shows up and is move/scaleable in zeroeditor, but doesn't show up in-game.
Have you been able to get an object in-game for BF2 Qdin?
Lord-Bandu

Post by Lord-Bandu »

the exporter works perfectly with XSI 4.2 .

yes i meant make your object/s a child of the null.

it sounds like your not branch selecting the null on export
Saturn_V
Emperor's Hand

Post by Saturn_V »

Qdin wrote:the Sceneroot HAS to be called MS3DSceneRoot, in case it's called something else :wink:
You know this "MS3D" comes from Milkshape3D, right? Back when we had to go from Nimlot's converter into Milkshape then to XSI?

FWIW, I never named any part of my own meshes MS3DSceneRoot, and I managed ok :wink:
squipple
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by squipple »

Hmm, I'm using XSI 5.0. Everything looks fine in zeroeditor.
I retried a different simple object and made sure I branch selected as well.
So far nothing in-game.

I did another test with some msh files that came with the game, and they don't show up either! Is there something I'm missing that I need to do to my msh's in zeroeditor before munging? ODF's show up fine, maybe I have to convert them or something?

EDIT: I did get some MSHs to show up that were shipped with the game, but some don't work as well. I've got the msh and odf folders with the files in the same dir as my world1, and I've munged. Still the model I exported from XSI is not showing up in game. Apparently others were having this problem in a previous post.
pinioncorp

Post by pinioncorp »

RevanSithLord: you might have noticed that I have reserved the prefix for Muunilinst, as you are indeed correct. As for the textures, well i did them in about 3 minutes, so they are just placeholders. Even the object has less than 100 polygons, so it does not represent the final qualtity (thank goodness).

All I wanted to do is get the object into the game. But I am still having the same problem where I run the script and nothing happens. Nil. YES, the object is branch selected, and the scene is named SceneRoot.

Do I have to get a copy of XSI or is the mod tool 4.2 version sufficient?
squipple
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by squipple »

Is an odf required? Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong. I've just been bringing in msh files.
minilogoguy18
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by minilogoguy18 »

ODF = object definition file, its required for any model in SWBF2 no matter what it is. and i dont know what you guys are talking about with the MS3DSceneRoot either, nothing like that is needed in anyway, the devs didnt even use ms3d that im aware of, theres no point in them needing to.
Unknown

Post by Unknown »

do you have to pay for xsi?
squipple
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by squipple »

minilogoguy18 - I'll definitely try making an odf for my msh then, thanks.
I'll let you know if it works.
The wierd part is, I've placed some msh's that shipped with the game (some from yavin 4) and they show up fine in zeroeditor and in-game. Will the tools automatically try to find an odf for the msh even if it wasn't referenced when placed?

EDIT: THAT WAS IT!!! I made an odf for my msh and it shows up in game! SWEET! Now I got all weekend to work on my map. Thanks for all your help guys! I wish they would've put this little tidbit in the docs that came with the tools. :)
-_-
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by -_- »

psych0fred wrote:Try reading the mod tool instructions before asking a question.

I don't know how everyone else feels, but I find this disturbing.

It means you didn't know the most basic rules about modding before a big long thread of troubleshooting happened. Simply put, you wasted a bunch of people's time helping you when you should have started by reading the instructions.

There's tons of docs with the mod tools, start by reading them

People are very happy to help but if you don't help yourself then all it does is anger people when you make them do all the work and you aren't prepared to make the minimal effort required just to get started.

(signed - the guy who wrote a lot of those docs you never bothered reading)
Yep. Fred has never changed. But still, wise words. READ THE DOCS!!
pinioncorp

Post by pinioncorp »

Mine still doesn't work... and there's no documentation to explain why. As far as I know, everything should be working yet it doesn't. WHY WON'T IT EXPORT!?!¿¡¿!?!

The export window won't come up when I run the script. I promise to make .odf files when it works, but until then I'm out of options.