JA/JO Model Converting

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Is This Thread Useful?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:24 pm

Yes
75%
No
25%

Total votes: 8
EraOfDesann
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

JA/JO Model Converting

Post by EraOfDesann »

Since Asajj has been successfully converted into BFII, I thought I'd start this topic to list what models modders will be converting. So far this is what I have on the list...

???- Kit Fisto (if Xbox expansion doesn't make it's way to PC)

So far that's it. But I think that certain popular models should be converted for all modders to use. For example, there are excellent Mon Calamari models that we could definitely use as well as Rodians, Weequays, Grans, and all sorts of alien species and characters that didn't come in BFII. I think this would be a good start:

http://jediknight2.filefront.com/file/D ... ck_3;45814

So, if you have plans to convert a model please let us know here in this thread.

Please include:
Character Model
Author
Link

Remember to get the author's permission! Thanks!
Last edited by EraOfDesann on Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RE: JA/JO Model Converting

Post by Guest »

[GT]EraOfDesann
Good idea...
Do u remembr about my idea - about young & little clones? Can yo convert it? Plz
Last edited by Guest on Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spitfire

Post by spitfire »

yeah shaak ti would be cool
plo koon with a orange light saber?
and hi has that move where he spins around really fast like in jedi power battles
off topic:by the way does anyone like that playstation game and is it possible to play on pc?

also qui gon would be very cool!!!
cheers
EraOfDesann
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by EraOfDesann »

JK514 wrote:[GT]EraOfDesann
Good idea...
Do u remembr about my idea - about young & little clones? Can yo do it? Plz

I don't recall...You'll need to refresh my memory. Also I don't know how to convert. :(

Alright I have some more links to models that I think would be very popular.

Luminara Unduli & Barris Offee

http://jediknight2.filefront.com/file/D ... ck_1;45811

Aurra Sing
http://jediknight2.filefront.com/file/Aurra_Sing;43467

And for the NJO mod...

Mara Jade
http://jediknight2.filefront.com/file/Mara_Jade;25065
Kyross

Post by Kyross »

I imagine there are plenty wicked awesome models that could be converted. For the most part the authors probably won't mind letting us, just need to get the people who CAN convert them in on this.
flippy11

Post by flippy11 »

how do you open the .pk3 files to make them a .msh

edit: trying to get slave 1. just wondering how you would make it go from taking off flat like this _ to flying straight like this |
yodaminch

Post by yodaminch »

pakscape opens up pk3 files.
minilogoguy18
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by minilogoguy18 »

i dont think any models should be ported and that people should just learn on thier own cause i only did asajj just because i liked the model and marz said i could since alot of people wanted asajj since xbox got her. im not porting anything else, i might not even tell people how to convert a JA model that if they want to port that badly to just find out on thier own. ill help people with enveloping a model but anything to do with porting theyll have to find out for themselves.
Vyse
General
General

Post by Vyse »

Can XSI Mod tools or Foundation import .glm?
minilogoguy18
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by minilogoguy18 »

no they cannot
DaCheat

Post by DaCheat »

http://jediknight2.filefront.com/file/C ... Pack;51924
that would be awesome a caroon clone wars mod! :D :bdroid2:
yodaminch

Post by yodaminch »

minilogoguy18 wrote:i dont think any models should be ported and that people should just learn on thier own cause i only did asajj just because i liked the model and marz said i could since alot of people wanted asajj since xbox got her. im not porting anything else, i might not even tell people how to convert a JA model that if they want to port that badly to just find out on thier own. ill help people with enveloping a model but anything to do with porting theyll have to find out for themselves.
Modelling while there are perfectly good models available seems like a waste. Shouldn't modeling go to making something new? As long as the original author has no problem with it, I see nothing wrong with porting some of the excellent jo/ja models over for battlefront.
Kyross

Post by Kyross »

What minch said. As long as they have express permission from the original author and give credit, it is the exact same thing as what you have done. Xbox got Kit Fisto too, and lots of people would like to see that. It's just a matter of getting permissions. So shush. >:o Teancum or someone else would probably find a way with or without your help.
EraOfDesann
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by EraOfDesann »

minilogoguy18 wrote:i dont think any models should be ported and that people should just learn on thier own cause i only did asajj just because i liked the model and marz said i could since alot of people wanted asajj since xbox got her. im not porting anything else, i might not even tell people how to convert a JA model that if they want to port that badly to just find out on thier own. ill help people with enveloping a model but anything to do with porting theyll have to find out for themselves.

I'm not sure how you justify that reasoning. :?

Would the authors not take it as a compliment for someone to want to convert their work? Don't they release the models for everyone to enjoy? As 'minch said, 'why not use the great models that already exist?'

I don't see why NeoMarz would turn down an offer to convert his excellent models so that they can get even more recognition in a completely different gaming community.
Last edited by EraOfDesann on Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

Wait a minute. How come I'm doing Kit Fisto?

Also, I talked with Pandemic developers about Kit. The PC's engine does not support him. He has way to many tentacles, and it will crash the game.
Kyross

Post by Kyross »

He could be altered maybe so that only some of them act as tentacles/cloth and some them(inner ones) are static so it isn't so rough on the engine.
EraOfDesann
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by EraOfDesann »

Teancum wrote:Wait a minute. How come I'm doing Kit Fisto?

Also, I talked with Pandemic developers about Kit. The PC's engine does not support him. He has way to many tentacles, and it will crash the game.

Because I read a post of your's in your Yavin IV Arena topic:
I'm not as fond of the Jedi Outcast Kit Fisto model, and would like the BF2 version, but if we never get it from XBox, we'll do Toonces' JO Kit Fisto.
I guess I just concluded that you'd be the one to do it. :oops:
minilogoguy18
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by minilogoguy18 »

the whole point of my reasoning is that nothing is gained from it because you didnt learn anything about modeling, people should learn to make thier own models and be recognized for making them not porting someone elses. people are gonna come to you with requests for models that arent in JA and you wont know what to do then. besides, JA models are WAY too high poly and i had to do alot to make asajj work at least HALF WAY decently.
EraOfDesann
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by EraOfDesann »

I see...but she seems to work fine without any frame rate problems due to poly count. But I understand your reasoning now. However for anyone who doesn't have the time or energy to get into modeling, this is the ideal alternative.