Can I use XSI Mod Tool with the Pandemic plugin?

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

drummerzoid1

Can I use XSI Mod Tool with the Pandemic plugin?

Post by drummerzoid1 »

can i use xsi mod tools with the plugin?
i used search and found nothing.
Vyse
General
General
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: xsi model question

Post by Vyse »

Next time post XSI questions here- http://www.gametoast.com/index.php?name ... forum&f=21

And there is already threads with this same question, so be sure to look around! :wink:

Suposally there make a XSI mod tool export but as of right now there is none and I wouldn't count on a exporter any time soon.
drummerzoid1

RE: Re: xsi model question

Post by drummerzoid1 »

oh i thought that specified xsi questions for swbfI so sorry, darn, would it work with a demo?
Vyse
General
General

Re: RE: Re: xsi model question

Post by Vyse »

drummerzoid1 wrote:oh i thought that specified xsi questions for swbfI so sorry, darn, would it work with a demo?
I know, I guess there should be a SWBF2 XSI board..

No, it won't work with the demo but what I am doing is making my models in the demo then when I get the full version I will import my demo models.

You go file>export then export them whatever and you can import then into the full version that has the plugin to make meshes!

Hope that helps!
minilogoguy18
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

RE: Re: RE: Re: xsi model question

Post by minilogoguy18 »

the plugin works with the 30 day trial of foundations if thats what you mean.
PAN-Fnord

Post by PAN-Fnord »

There is indeed a version of the exporter that works with the Mod Tools version of XSI. I don't know what the delay is, I'll ask if we can release at least that soon...don't worry.

Mike Z
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

Bless you Mike :P
Vyse
General
General

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: xsi model question

Post by Vyse »

REALLY!!! Let us know as soon as possible!
Lord-Bandu

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: xsi model question

Post by Lord-Bandu »

Are Pandemic going to refund me for XSI since I bought it after I got fed up of waiting for the modtools plugin that was promised for swbf1 ? ;)

what??? its worth a shot :D
MutantMonkey

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: xsi model question

Post by MutantMonkey »

I'm confused... r u saying we can make models for free now, explain please!
Vyse
General
General

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: xsi model question

Post by Vyse »

Lord-Bandu wrote:Are Pandemic going to refund me for XSI since I bought it after I got fed up of waiting for the modtools plugin that was promised for swbf1 ? ;)

But isn't foundation better anyways. Can't it do stuff that the mod tools can't do? Ulitmate Mapper looks like reason enough to buy it!
Krun

Post by Krun »

Vyse wrote:
Lord-Bandu wrote:Are Pandemic going to refund me for XSI since I bought it after I got fed up of waiting for the modtools plugin that was promised for swbf1 ? ;)

But isn't foundation better anyways. Can't it do stuff that the mod tools can't do? Ulitmate Mapper looks like reason enough to buy it!
Vyse,
Foundation is better, but the question is do you wish to spend $500.00 on a 3d program just to add models to a $50.00 game? I would recommend foundation for those who may be looking at a career in 3d modeling.

Edit:
Sorry guys got "Off topic" again :oops:

Edit:
Thanks Mike Z you guys are back on my buddy list again :wink:
Last edited by Krun on Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vyse
General
General

Post by Vyse »

Krun wrote:
Vyse,
Foundation is better, but the question is do you wish to spend $500.00 on a 3d program just to add models to a $50.00 game? I would recommend foundation for those who may be looking at a career in 3d modeling.
Is there things though that it can actually do that the mod tools can't?

I may be seeking that career........
Lord-Bandu

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: xsi model question

Post by Lord-Bandu »

id learn on modtools 1st
Vyse
General
General

Post by Vyse »

This is some info on the limitations... There is a lot disabled, but it might be uncessary stuff!

Data Input/Output
Data output from the XSI Mod Tool will be limited to the following:
Scene files can be saved to a special .exp file format so they can be loaded into the SOFTIMAGE| XSI Mod Tool. XSI Mod Tool (.exp) files will not load in the commercial version of SOFTIMAGE|XSI.
Note: To save or export requires an activation key
Rendered pictures will be allowed but will be watermarked and limited to a size no greater than 510px x 510px.
Rendering is limited to a single CPU.
All pre-packaged functionality of the product written as plugins (scripts etc.) will function as normal unless explicitly removed (see SDK section below for more information).
A 7,500-triangle limit for exported models (No limit otherwise).

Licensing/Install
All licensing has been removed from the SOFTIMAGE| XSI Mod Tool.
Installation on systems running Windows 2000 and XP only.

Persistence
Saving of external models has been disabled.
Saving of the render region (Save Region As...) has been disabled.
Loading/merging of scenes from any SOFTIMAGE|XSI version is enabled however, once the scene has been saved to the special .exp file format that scene will be accessible only via the SOFTIMAGE| XSI Mod Tool.
dotXSI™ files must be loaded through the File menu; they cannot be dragged and dropped into the Mod Tool interface.
Memocams contained in scenes built with the commercial version of SOFTIMAGE|XSI cannot be loaded in the XSI Mod Tool.
The crash recovery mechanism has been disabled.

Customization
Workgroups – unavailable.
Add-ons - pre-existing add-ons can be loaded. Packaging and editing of add-ons has been disabled.
Layout - pre-existing layouts can be used. Creation of new layouts is allowed but saving these new layouts has been disabled.
Toolbars - pre-existing toolbars can be loaded. Creation of new toolbars is allowed but saving these new toolbars has been disabled.
Commands - pre-existing custom commands can be used. Creation of new custom command allowed but saving these new custom commands has been disabled.
Custom psets – pre-existing custom pset presets can be used. Dynamic custom psets created from within the UI and saved with the scene can also be used. Any spdl-based custom psets cannot be saved.
Synoptic - pre-existing synoptics can be loaded. Creating new synoptics is possible but saving these new synoptics has been disabled.
Key maps - pre-existing keymaps can be loaded. Users can create new keymaps but saving these new keymaps has been disabled.
Presets - pre-existing presets can be loaded. Users can create new presets but saving these new presets has been disabled.
User preferences - changes can be made to the User Preferences but these changes will not be persistent.

Editors
FCurve Editor - save and export fraw2 has been blocked.
ScriptedOp Editor - all interfaces that extract data are unavailable. Parameter connection has been disabled.
Expression Editor - saving expressions to a file as either expression files or fcurves has been disbaled.
Texture Editor - Export Clip has been blocked.
Image Viewer - Export Clip has been blocked.
Weight Editor - Export Clip has been blocked.

Compositor
FX Tree - the File Output node has been blocked.

Simulation
All caching which creates files on disk has been disabled.

Rendering
The mental ray standalone renderer has been removed.
Thread and host parallelism (distributed rendering, multi-cpu) is unavailable.
.mi file export is unavailable.
Interactive rendering is allowed however, XSI batch processing has been disabled.
Command line options, xsi -script and xsi –r,have been removed.
Shadow, photon, and final gathering map files as well light mapping cannot be loaded or saved.
Interactive rendering is permitted up to a resolution no greater than 510px x 510px (even numbers only).
Preview/pass rendering is restricted to a resolution of 400px x 300px
Rendered images will be watermarked with a SOFTIMAGE|XSI and mental ray watermark.

Real-Time Shaders
All pre-existing shaders have been statically linked; there is no way to create custom shaders (inclusive of all shader types, such as: ogl, dx and cg).

OGL viewports
Viewport capture has been disabled.
Viewports all bear a watermark.

File Export
ExportAction has been disabled.
ExportdotXSIFile has been disabled.
ExportIGES has been disabled.
ExportMaterialLibrary has been disabled
Both the standalone and built-in Flipbook executable has been removed however, the FXTree will be able to provide this function in the XSI Mod Tool.

SDK API / Plugins / Addons
Plugins
Only loads signed addons (Plugins)
Only loads signed SPDL, Layout, Views.

Scripting
Creation and traversal of a scene is allowed in the XSI Mod Tool.
"getvalue()" has been blocked which may hinder the function of some pre-existing scripts.
The scripting log window has been limited to 10 lines at a time.

C++ API
SDK data accessor methods have been blocked which may hinder the function of most compiled plug-ins.

Events, Commands and ScriptedOp
Only built-in plugins will be able to get data.
Parameters cannot be connected as inputs to custom operators.
ScriptedOps cannot be saved to an SPDL.
Presets cannot be saved.
Custom commands cannot be saved.

SPDL
SPDLs cannot be installed directly.
SPDLs cannot be uninstalled.

Addons
Addons can be installed, but some might need to be re-installed when the XSI Mod Tool is restarted.
Addons can be uninstalled.

Known problems on resolutions other than 1280x1024
XSI will run but some areas will require scrolling
Bobafett16

Post by Bobafett16 »

I like Mod-Tools but it is limited - i am saveing up to buy Foundations, or maybe better if i have the money :wink: but i am also very interested in a 3D modeling career..
MutantMonkey

Post by MutantMonkey »

I don't get it... I just wanna make some models for SWBF II nothing too fancy just yet... do I have to pay about £300/$500 for XSI in order to do that? I already had a foundation trial and that didn't let me save :( so I never found out if I'd actually b capable of making swbf1 objects that work.
Lord-Bandu

Post by Lord-Bandu »

To clarify:

XSI modtool (the free cutdown version) at this moment does NOT have a compatable exporter plugin but ,according to Pandemic Mike, there will be one soon. Meaning you will be able to export your models to game once they release it.

The versions that support the Exporter Plugin that came with the SWBF2 tools are as follows:

XSI 4.2 Foundation 30 day trial

XSI 4.2 Foundation (full version -retail)

XSI 4.2 Advanced (full version -retail)

Im not sure whether the current exporter works with XSI 5.0 .... I would guess it does since Minilogoguy exported Ventriss and I THINK he uses 5.0

So , for a beginner modeler the best thing to do is download the FREE XSI ModTool and practice (or make your game models) while you wait for Pandemic to release the XSI ModTool compatable Exporter Plugin.

*but be warned , this is what I did a year ago and either Pandemic or Softimage didnt bother to release the promised XSI Modtool Exporter Plugin*

You can find it on http://www.softimage.com
Vyse
General
General

Post by Vyse »

Can anyone tell me if the exporter works with XSI 5 Foundation? It looks like thats the only version you can buy now? :?

I am beginging to doubt that there will be a exporter for the mod tools.... Even if they have one they probably want to wait for SWBF3 Tools...

Of course Mike said there IS one.. back in the day of SWBF1 I don't think there was every a actual exporter that they just didn't release. :?
Bobafett16

Post by Bobafett16 »

I use the Exporter on Foundations 5.0 Trial and it works fine for me, Models exported fine.