Need info on Cloth in SWBF2

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

OOM-9

Need info on Cloth in SWBF2

Post by OOM-9 »

Mkay, been working on summat, need information on how the game registers cloth. Does cloth interact with the unit's collision mesh?

PAN-Fnord, Psychfred?

Anybody?

~OOM-9
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

RE: Need info on Cloth in SWBF2

Post by Teancum »

I *think* it's in the docs. Maybe either in the comments of the jedi template odfs or in the jedi or model doc. Basically it's a string of bones with a certain set of names that the game recognizes as cloth if I recall.
OOM-9

Post by OOM-9 »

Yea but do they recognize the collisions of the player model?

For instance if I was to successfully wrap this Magna in a cloak, and have him run around will it just billow oddly andclip all over or will it enwrap the model and move in response to the collision of the underneath model?

Palpatine SEEMS to be our answer... but I dunno for sure.

~OOM-9
PAN-Fnord

Post by PAN-Fnord »

Cloth doesn't collide with the character's mesh - you have to add primitives (MUST be XSI primitives!) that it will collide with. Um...I don't recall what they have to be named, but they're in any mesh that has cloth so you can look for names. You just add them to the hierarchy, export the mesh and they work...as well as they will work. :^) Cloth has some "issues" with collision - cylinders don't work right all the time, but spheres and boxes do. Also, the shape you model the cloth in is the basepose for the cloth - if you model it sticking out behind the guy then it will try to always be sticking out, so model it in the at-rest position.

Also, the export process for cloth needs it to be deformable into a flat plane, so sleeves and cylinders etc are out - it will cut a seam in them. Otherwise Leia would have had a full dress.

Mike Z