PAN-Fnord , a little XSI question :)

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Lord-Bandu

PAN-Fnord , a little XSI question :)

Post by Lord-Bandu »

Hey , I was wondering whether you knew how to get the light glow working on custom models. Iv got bumpmap , specualr/gloss workin but theres no instructions in the docs that show how to add glow to a polygon.

Might I add that the Edit Flags for SWBF2 just has a load of scrolling bars that are in numbers (eg. the Render Types is a grey scrollling bar that goes up in numbers from 1 to about 15 or so ) so theres no way of knowing what im doing lol.

To rectify this I went back to the 'BF1 fixed xsi addon' but for the life of me I cant get glow working . Iv been trying for ages.

Both the swbf2 xsi addon and bf1 fixed addon dont have as many options as the 1 shpwn in the materials/misc. docs.

PS. Admin , please dont move this to the xsi forum since i havent seen any of the PAN guys post there . Maybe you can move it after I get a positive reply (hopefully :) )
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

RE: PAN-Fnord , a little XSI question :)

Post by Teancum »

You might try a PM, too. :P
Lord-Bandu

RE: PAN-Fnord , a little XSI question :)

Post by Lord-Bandu »

Oh yea lol forgot about that :P
pinioncorp

me too!

Post by pinioncorp »

Waah, me want glow too!!! Seriously though, I've tried everything I can think of with no luck. There are only two reasons I can think of why they haven't included the glow script:

1. Too lazy / ran out of time.
2. Special code they don't want stolen.

However, there are references to glow in the documentation, yet there is no instructions for it, so I would say its more likely number 1.

Playing the official maps then playing my own, I realise how important glow really is... all lighting really needs it. My super star destroyer looks like a cardboard cutout without the engine glow. The light fittings look like they are off, while still emitting light. :cry:

To PAN_Fnord, or any other Pandemic employee who may be reading this: searching this forum, there has been little to no response to this question, so I assume you weren't really responsible for this area. Would it be possible to get us a copy of the lighting edit flags script, complete or otherwise? At least we'd have something to work with.

RE: me too!

Post by Lord-Bandu »

Yep exactly. Im tryin to make an all new Kamino interior map but without the abilty to add glow theres no point.

I think theres 2 types of glow. 1 that is really bright and seems to emanate light and another that seems to glow but doest have the big blur of light (like the kamino corridor ceiling lights)

From inspecting various shipped models (esp. kamino) It seems there are 2 ways to setup glow (initially) 1 is using an alpha channel and another is to set the main texture to transparant and have a seperately modeled plane (which is tagged to glow) behind the actual model (eg. kamino corridor ceiling light bars) so that only the transparant parts of the model seem to have a non emanating glow.

All this is worthless without being able to flag the polys to glow.
JabbaLovesLava
Sith
Sith

Post by JabbaLovesLava »

Ok, I really need glow. Has anyone figured it out?
Lord-Bandu

Post by Lord-Bandu »

Nope not yet , but my pm (containing the link to this thread) to PAN Fnord has been read so hopefully he can find out and post in here soon.